05-16-2017 02:44 PM
    It's certainly not worth it to go from S7 Edge to S8 unless you really really prefer the S8 for some reason and it doesn't cost anything. Also, if you're looking for a new phone, either one would be a great choice depending on what you're looking for. Personally, I think the screen aspect ratio on the S8 isn't so great. It's slightly larger than the S7 Edge by a hair in total screen area, but I prefer the width of the S7 Edge screen. I also prefer the front fingerprint scanner. If you like a rear fingerprint scanner then go with the S8. The face recognition on the S8 isn't as secure, but in most lighting conditions it's more convenient because you can press the bottom of the screen or the power button and within a second the phone is unlocked. You don't have to try to avoid putting your finger on the camera lens. I haven't been able to get the iris scanner to work so it's like it doesn't even exist for me. All in all, they are almost identical phones with the S8 having a slightly superior front camera, but the S7 Edge has a more pleasing screen aspect ratio and more convenient fingerprint scanner (IMO). The main camera is awesome on both. Probably the best digital camera, period, that I've ever personally owned. Anyway, both are overall great phones, but if you have an S7 Edge, keep it. Not worth the "upgrade."
    EMGSM likes this.
    05-16-2017 03:14 PM
    All really good points. I love my S8 but I wouldn't have upgraded from an S7. And if someone was on a budget I'd be just as likely to recommend the S7.
    05-16-2017 04:54 PM
    It's certainly not worth it to go from S7 Edge to S8 unless you really really prefer the S8 for some reason and it doesn't cost anything. Also, if you're looking for a new phone, either one would be a great choice depending on what you're looking for. Personally, I think the screen aspect ratio on the S8 isn't so great. It's slightly larger than the S7 Edge by a hair in total screen area, but I prefer the width of the S7 Edge screen. I also prefer the front fingerprint scanner. If you like a rear fingerprint scanner then go with the S8. The face recognition on the S8 isn't as secure, but in most lighting conditions it's more convenient because you can press the bottom of the screen or the power button and within a second the phone is unlocked. You don't have to try to avoid putting your finger on the camera lens. I haven't been able to get the iris scanner to work so it's like it doesn't even exist for me. All in all, they are almost identical phones with the S8 having a slightly superior front camera, but the S7 Edge has a more pleasing screen aspect ratio and more convenient fingerprint scanner (IMO). The main camera is awesome on both. Probably the best digital camera, period, that I've ever personally owned. Anyway, both are overall great phones, but if you have an S7 Edge, keep it. Not worth the "upgrade."
    You're right the s7 edge is still a very capable phone. For me it was sort of a gamble and it paid off. Logging in is super fast, it has a good size screen, long battery life and I don't get the accidental touches.
    05-16-2017 04:57 PM
    Is the s7edge display really wider? I think it just appears that way but yes the actual effective size of s8 plus screen is the same for watching video. The length is hardly a difference when you subtract the spot for the navigation keys.
    05-16-2017 07:33 PM
    There are 5000 topics on this and about 100,000 articles on Google. Seriously?
    05-16-2017 07:58 PM
    Does it count that I went from 7edge to 8plus? I only had the 7edge because of the Note 7 double recall. For me it was somewhat buggy, definitely glitvhy, got hot often, and was too small and narrow. Intended to wait for the new Note but was intrigued by the 8plus. Love this new phone. Almost reminds me of the Note 7. Wider and taller screen then 7edge, noticeably less pronounced edges, no glitches, doesn't get warm (well once it did but it wasn't hot) and it's faster
    dpadams6 likes this.
    05-16-2017 08:41 PM
    Yeah performance on the S8 is better for me. It also doesn't run as hot, palm rejection is better, curves don't hurt my hands as much and the Note 7 software touches puts it over the top.

S7 is still a great phone though.
    05-16-2017 08:53 PM
    Is the s7edge display really wider? I think it just appears that way but yes the actual effective size of s8 plus screen is the same for watching video. The length is hardly a difference when you subtract the spot for the navigation keys.
    Nav keys disappear when watching videos, at least they do on the plus.
    05-16-2017 08:55 PM
    Nav keys disappear when watching videos, at least they do on the plus.
    Same on the 8
    05-16-2017 08:57 PM
    There are 5000 topics on this and about 100,000 articles on Google. Seriously?
    That's what I thought, and I also thought this should be in the S7 forums.
    05-16-2017 09:03 PM