Magnetic car vent mounts vs. Wireless Charging

zyad

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone here tried a magnetic car mount with the metal sticker on a phone case, without affecting wireless charging?
I have a thin silicone case, and use Tylt Vu wireless chargers at home.
In the past with other phone models I've read that:
- the metal stickers block wireless chargers unless they're put in a "sweet spot" ... anyone here find that spot on the S8+?
- recent Galaxies (S7 etc...) might stick to the magnet themselves without the stickers used? Has anyone tried with a thin silicone case? Would it survive driving conditions without falling?

I've read good things about the Spigen mounts but was hoping for input before trying. Switching cases twice a day would be a pain.

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone here tried a magnetic car mount with the metal sticker on a phone case, without affecting wireless charging?
- the metal stickers block wireless chargers unless they're put in a "sweet spot" ... anyone here find that spot on the S8+?
- recent Galaxies (S7 etc...) might stick to the magnet themselves without the stickers used? Has anyone tried with a thin silicone case? Would it survive driving conditions without falling?

I've read good things about the Spigen mounts but was hoping for input before trying. Switching cases twice a day would be a pain.

I've never had success combining these 2 things so I ended up having 2 cases...one for in the car (that has the magnet in it) and one for everything else. Everytime I forget to switch cases, wireless charging fails miserably.

Really wish there was a way to have the best of both worlds.

abaishya

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

I have the magnet attached on the bottom - inside of my thin case. It does not interfere with wireless charging.

hydrofarmer

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I have always preferred a sturdy mounted clamp style holder. If you hit rough terrain or a big pothole your phone is 100% for sure staying put.

zyad

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have always preferred a sturdy mounted clamp style holder. If you hit rough terrain or a big pothole your phone is 100% for sure staying put.
I do have one. It's actually a good one. The magnetic ones are just so much quicker, especially if you need to take the phone off quickly to punch something in at a red light.

hydrofarmer

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I do have one. It's actually a good one. The magnetic ones are just so much quicker, especially if you need to take the phone off quickly to punch something in at a red light.
I get ya I usually justn leave mine in the mount and type like my dad with my pointer finger lol

zyad

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
OK I ordered this Spigen https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...hawk-future-ca-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5820300

I will give it a dry run by testing the wireless charging with the metal plate as low as possible before sticking it.
If that doesn't work I might cut the plate down in size.

Got the Spigen today from Amazon and tested some locations with the charger with their rectangular plate inside my thin silicone clear case before sticking it on. With the bottom of the plate a half inch up from the bottom of the phone (and the plate installed horizontally, wireless charging on my Tylt Vu Blade charger still works. It seems high enough for the phone not to be too top heavy when mounted. Hopefully it withstands bumps and acceleration.
It will keep the magnetic part of the mount horizontal in the car to maximize contact area with the plate.
Only negative thing is that the sticky side of the plate is ugly and visible with a clear case.

twotone

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I use Rokform cases which hold rock (no pun intended) steady with a magnet in both the case and the phone mount. My S9+ charged wirelessly just fine in my Rokform case, but the magnet was placed lower on the back of the case. Then, my wife got me a moment camera lens attachment which requires the moment case to use. I love the new moment case, but... no magnet, so I would have to switch cases to mount in the car. I got the bright idea to modify the case and add a Rokform magnet by drilling a hole and using JB Clearweld to suspend the magnet in the hole. That worked beautifully with the magnet pretty much completely flush like it was built into the case and not protruding at all. BUT I DIDN'T THING ABOUT THE WIRELESS CHARGING. I thought it would be nice to be able to attach my phone to the mount in portrait or landscape, so I put the magnet in the middle. Now the wireless charging doesn't work. I'm thinking of buying another case to try to find a happy medium to mount the magnet as close to center as possible and still wireless charge. I'll see how it goes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs