05-30-2017 08:44 AM
28 12
tools
    Hey all, it's been a long time since I posted, I think back when I had my LG G3 as this was the last Android device I owned. Been with the iPhone 5S/6 Plus/6S Plus and now 7 Plus since then but have taken the plunge and ordered an S8+ in Orchid Gray which should arrive tomorrow.

Hoping I have made a wise choice!

Paul.
    blaine07, Alan Sims and Morty2264 like this.
    05-17-2017 08:40 AM
    Welcome back .
    peejay1977 and blaine07 like this.
    05-17-2017 08:41 AM
    Hey all, it's been a long time since I posted, I think back when I had my LG G3 as this was the last Android device I owned. Been with the iPhone 5S/6 Plus/6S Plus and now 7 Plus since then but have taken the plunge and ordered an S8+ in Orchid Gray which should arrive tomorrow.

Paul.
    Don't forget to come back and let us know your thoughts on the phone itself and your experience being back with android! I just made the same switch myself, back to android with the s8+ from the 7 plus, and not regretting my decision one bit. The s8+ is a beast.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    05-20-2017 05:11 PM
    Great choice you will love the 8. I have both devices and the 8 I'd the better device.
    05-20-2017 05:27 PM

Paul.
    I also returned to Android with the Galaxy S8 Plus from an iPhone 7 plus. Welcome back, I think you'll love the S8 plus 😃
    05-20-2017 05:47 PM
    Unfortunately my experience so far is less than good (see my other thread)
    05-20-2017 05:51 PM
    With the s8?
    05-20-2017 10:23 PM
    With the s8?
    Yeah, video playback is next to unusable. Apps crash or take ages to load. Even rotating the phone to rotate a video or picture takes literally a few seconds before it happens. Plus I've already had to factory reset it twice due to severe issues. And to top it off the battery life is appalling.
    05-21-2017 01:23 PM
    Yeah, video playback is next to unusable. Apps crash or take ages to load. Even rotating the phone to rotate a video or picture takes literally a few seconds before it happens. Plus I've already had to factory reset it twice due to severe issues. And to top it off the battery life is appalling.
    That's nuts. Dude, if you're serious why not exchange? If you did I apologize I did not look for your other thread.

Could be a rogue app for apps.. Or you just got a bad unit. If you buy enough devices over the years like most of us on these forums have, it's going to happen.
    My Pixel XL began to do these kind of things and it ended up being a popular 3rd party launcher. Uninstalled and back to smoothness. Since I've reinstalled and no issues like before.
    05-21-2017 01:37 PM
    That's nuts. Dude, if you're serious why not exchange? If you did I apologize I did not look for your other thread.

Could be a rogue app for apps.. Or you just got a bad unit. If you buy enough devices over the years like most of us on these forums have, it's going to happen.
    My Pixel XL began to do these kind of things and it ended up being a popular 3rd party launcher. Uninstalled and back to smoothness. Since I've reinstalled and no issues like before.
    Same experience on mine. Slow as molasses. I did exchange, twice, and it's still the same. Works fine for a few hours after a reboot and then slows down to a crawl every time. I'm not using third party launchers.

Have since moved back to the 7 Plus
    05-21-2017 02:46 PM
    Same experience on mine. Slow as molasses. I did exchange, twice, and it's still the same. Works fine for a few hours after a reboot and then slows down to a crawl every time. I'm not using third party launchers.

Me too, it's the little things that matter. Signing into apps or updating apps is slow as hell. Rotating a picture or video in any app to show someone takes literally 5 times longer than my iPhone. Screen is gorgeous but even in full brightness it's worse to see in sunlight than my iPhone. Battery life is shocking. Apps are sluggish and poorly written.

Camera isn't all that good either but I will confess the sharpness of objects on the pics it takes is great.

Plenty to love about the S8 but so so much to hate. I'm not an Apple fanboy and I don't just splurge that kind of money lightly, I honestly expected it to be the phone to turn me back to Android. Instead it's been the phone to make never wanna return again.
    05-21-2017 02:50 PM
    I wonder if it's carrier related. Verizon and att really place more bloat than Sprint and T-Mobile.
    Mines on TMO fast as heck. On par w my Pixel if not a little quicker.
    05-21-2017 06:53 PM
    OP, I am sorry to hear about your experience! Two factory resets is a lot to do! You tried for sure! I completely understand what you mean about Apple - it does run quite smoothly and I respect a lot of things iPhones can do. Which iPhone have you liked the most so far?
    05-21-2017 07:01 PM
    Me too, it's the little things that matter. Signing into apps or updating apps is slow as hell. Rotating a picture or video in any app to show someone takes literally 5 times longer than my iPhone. Screen is gorgeous but even in full brightness it's worse to see in sunlight than my iPhone. Battery life is shocking. Apps are sluggish and poorly written.

Camera isn't all that good either but I will confess the sharpness of objects on the pics it takes is great.

Plenty to love about the S8 but so so much to hate. I'm not an Apple fanboy and I don't just splurge that kind of money lightly, I honestly expected it to be the phone to turn me back to Android. Instead it's been the phone to make never wanna return again.
    I've noticed rotating apps is slow, ie watching YouTube videos slow to rotate for some reason.
    05-21-2017 07:06 PM

Sounds like a defective device. I have none of those issues. The majority of us have none of those issues. These phones are lighting fast and very smooth.
    05-21-2017 07:26 PM
    iPhones certainly do the basic functions better. It comes at a cost though. You cant access your file system, and the phone itself is far more prohibitive to use. I still love iPhones don't get me wrong, but you do give up some things to have an iPhone instead.
    05-21-2017 11:53 PM
    I'm on Verizon and don't have these problems. Either downloaded something bad, or take it back and get another one.
    05-22-2017 02:23 AM
    Phone is a completely unlocked device with no carrier bloat ware. And it does it even if I reset the phone with no other apps installed. It's still slow and laggy and has the video issue. The phones going back as soon as Samsung bother to respond and I'll be getting a full refund and staying with my 7 Plus.
    05-22-2017 02:49 AM

Paul.
    I went from iPhone 7 plus back to android when the S8 was coming out. All seems to working out for me . Hope the same goes for you.
    05-22-2017 11:35 AM

Definitely odd. I have used almost 40 GB in 4 days -- all video streamed on LTE. No hiccups, slowdowns, or issues. I use NovaLauncher but other than that .. just my apps and stuff.

VZW Model.
    05-22-2017 11:41 AM
    Screen is gorgeous but even in full brightness it's worse to see in sunlight than my iPhone.
    Here's a tip. Samsung doesn't permit you to turn the brightness all the way up by moving the brightness slider. Set brightness to "auto" and you'll get 50% more brightness in direct sunlight than you can get by sliding the slider all the way to the right. It's been this way in Samsung phones for years.

I know you don't care since you returned to the iPhone but this tip may help others.
    peejay1977 and kevinpleasants like this.
    05-24-2017 03:07 PM
    Well folks, I've had a full refund from Samsung and I'm sad to say I'm left rather perplexed by the whole experience to be honest. Alot of my friends call me an Apple fanboi and it's true I have alot of their products but it's not through brand loyalty, just a preference at the time.

My 4 days with the S8+ left me a little sour on the whole and judging by the amount of threads on here describing issues it's a little worrying.

I had a number of issues with the device all seemingly software related and I consider myself someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to setting up a phone and ensuring it's done right, without a ton of crap being installed etc.

The biggest surprise to me is how completely disinterested and unhelpful Samsung were right from the outset to get the problem sorted and keep me as a customer. It's not that the service was bad per se, they didn't really seem to care at all if the problem got resolved or not.

Anyway, I'll be staying with the iPhone for now but maybe I'll return to Android one day.
    05-30-2017 04:15 AM
    I think you just had an unfortunate experience, let's not forget no one comes online to stay 'everything's working as it should'. The iPhone is fine but hasn't really moved on for a while now. If I was you I would have got a replacement but as long as you're happy with the iPhone it's all good.
    peejay1977 and kevinpleasants like this.
    05-30-2017 08:14 AM
    No issues, lag or complaints with my S8+ & have had it since April 21. Battery life has been amazing as well.

Kind of curiously wondering if some people that switch operating systems didn't really want the complete change?
    What I mean is, they may have wanted the device, but deep down did not really want to change to a different operating system? Or likewise with an Android person switching over to ios. Not calling anyone out. But sometimes think that consumers want something a little new without the drastic change.
    pinkivy98 likes this.
    05-30-2017 08:31 AM
    No issues, lag or complaints with my S8+ & have had it since April 21. Battery life has been amazing as well.

Kind of curiously wondering if some people that switch operating systems didn't really want the complete change?
    What I mean is, they may have wanted the device, but deep down did not really want to change to a different operating system? Or likewise with an Android person switching over to ios. Not calling anyone out. But sometimes think that consumers want something a little new without the drastic change.
    I totally get what you mean, I can identify the pro's and con's of both OS's and I spent a long time asking myself what I'd miss moving away from iOS and of course the "prettiness" of the apps is one but really thats just cosmetics. FaceTime and iMessage was another, but with the iPad I have it's not the end of the world.

I also considered the fact that unlike iOS Android is developed and then tailor made to fit devices and sometimes this has varied results but I still decided to go ahead and make the change knowing what I was letting myself in for.

I think if the phone has been replaced without issue then the rest of my quibbles would have been forgotten or at least wouldn't have been such a bother.

As for the brightness, it WAS on auto brightness but in direct sunlight I literally couldn't read it. Don't get me wrong, my iPhone isn't great but I can just about read it.

Aside from the blatant video issue which may well have just been a defective unit my experience with various apps was less than great. Forget the prettiness, just apps working in a timely smooth fashion without me wanting to smash my head into the screen would have been nice. I'm an IT Software Tester so I know my way around OS's and such but I couldn't believe how poorly optimised or functioning some apps were.

There are those that would say I was destined to compare it to iOS and find fault, and I'd say the same in their shoes but I don't just spend £800 on a phone lightly without giving it a proper go.

But, it's all academic now as it's been returned and I have had a full refund. Maybe one day I'll return, there was alot to love about the phone, and the eco system too.
    T48 likes this.
    05-30-2017 08:38 AM
28 12