why is my s8 camera when i zoom blurry

A

AC Question

when i zoom in the picture doesn't look clean its all blurry other wise awesome pictures is there a setting i missed

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Nope, it is not an optical zoom. It simply scales the picture up and crops the edges. This is how it works on all phones for zoom.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I second post above. Only reason iPhone doesn't do this is because they have a second dedicated telephoto camera. But for virtually every other camera phone out there, the zoom is not a true zoom. Just digital cropping and enlarging. It sucks, and completely degrades quality. And you don't see any extra detail. Avoid the feature at all costs in my opinion

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Nope, it is not an optical zoom. It simply scales the picture up and crops the edges. This is how it works on all phones for zoom.

For the most part yes, but there are some exceptions. The iPhone 7 plus has a telephoto lens. The s4 zoom had 10x optical zoom as did the k zoom. Zenphonev zoom had 3x optical.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow really, I'll have to check them out. I figured the package size was just to small for phones to do any kind of zoom lens. Did it lead to more failures?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow really, I'll have to check them out. I figured the package size was just to small for phones to do any kind of zoom lens. Did it lead to more failures?

The issue is that picture quality isn't great on them and also i think they all had a significant bulge on the back.

The iPhone solution is great because it keeps with the slim profile of the phone. But it also is only mainly usable for zoom in ideal lighting conditions. In less than ideal situations, the digital zoom would most likely look better.

I don't know how reliable they were, none were that popular other than the iPhone.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Digital zoom shouldn't even be called zoom. If you want to crop and enlarge you'll get better results doing it yourself in Photoshop on PC

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Digital zoom shouldn't even be called zoom. If you want to crop and enlarge you'll get better results doing it yourself in Photoshop on PC

Heck, even the stock photo editor wouldn't be so bad! Totally agreed that digital zoom is a pretty worthless feature.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
For photos digital zoom just crops the image, you can do that after taking the photo yourself easily.

For video it has some usefulness as the videos don't record at the cameras maximum resolution, but it still can't compare to a telephoto lens.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
For photos digital zoom just crops the image, you can do that after taking the photo yourself easily.

For video it has some usefulness as the videos don't record at the cameras maximum resolution, but it still can't compare to a telephoto lens.
Agreed. It's also easier to zoom while taking it versus playing around in a timeline video editor later (something most people don't have and don't know how to do). But I'd still use it sparingly

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm