Samsung Account Backup

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
On AT&T, I have to switch on WiFi to backup. Device is set for auto backup. Shouldn't it back up over the carrier network? Is there a setting that I missed?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
On AT&T, I have to switch on WiFi to backup. Device is set for auto backup. Shouldn't it back up over the carrier network? Is there a setting that I missed?

I think that it says that it's only available on Wifi, something like that it will be triggered after being charging for an hour and on wifi, that's for the automatic process but you can begin the backup process manually at any time.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Mine asks for me to turn off wifi to stay constantly backed up, but I'm not doing that. The apps backup is pretty large, so maybe it does include 3rd party apps and data.
9bae696e56e19d549d18310dd3415036.jpg
9420843cb5bab9e3a9ab730064d2f53b.jpg

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Does samsung backup include backup of settings and data for 3rd party apps? That was my impression but wanted to make sure.

If I remember correctly when I did the restore from my S7 edge it brought my apps and some data of some of those apps not all of them. But again, I really can't remember if it was Samsung's restore or Google restore, but I really think it was half and half, Google brought me some of them and Samsung other data. One thing though, all settings including Home screens were restored, so easily a lot better that what they had before, but still short of what they are suppose to be providing by now, a full image backup and restore solution.

Last edited:

alexcapone

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
If I remember correctly when I did the restore from my S7 edge it brought my apps and some data of some of those apps not all of them. But again, I really can't remember if it was Samsung's restore or Google restore, but I really think it was half and half, Google brought me some of them and Samsung other data. One thing though, all settings including Home screens were restore so easily a lot better that what they had before, but still short of what they are suppose to be providing by now, a full image backup and restore solution.

Thank you. A lot of my app settings are very customized for my preference so a full blown backup/restore method is what I need. I've heard that something like that is possible with root but hoping Samsung backup would be as close to it as possible when switching from Galaxy to Galaxy phones.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. A lot of my app settings are very customized for my preference so a full blown backup/restore method is what I need. I've heard that something like that is possible with root but hoping Samsung backup would be as close to it as possible when switching from Galaxy to Galaxy phones.

Sorry but as of now there is no easy full backup/restore solution on Android, what we have now is naturally better than before but you will still need to redo some stuff and some apps won't restore the data. But like I mentioned before, migrating from the S7 edge to the S8 it was the best I've seen so far.

alexcapone

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I am having trouble with Samsung Auto backup. Even after keeping it on wifi, charging overnight, and with the screen turned off for over an hour it does not backup. I am only able to backup manually. Any idea what the issue could be?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I am having trouble with Samsung Auto backup. Even after keeping it on wifi, charging overnight, and with the screen turned off for over an hour it does not backup. I am only able to backup manually. Any idea what the issue could be?

Sorry, I have seen that before but not with the S8, since S8 was released all my previous problems with Samsung Backup have been fixed, it's been backing up without issues every night since I got it 2 months ago.

Try removing your Samsung Account and entering back again, just be aware that you will need to reset Samsung pay if you use it.

alexcapone

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Your post in another thread may actually be the answer I need:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=801841&p=5824443&viewfull=1#post5824443

I don't think I agreed to Interactive and Customized Services. I logged into my account and agreed just now. Usually an app won't let you proceed if you don't agree to the terms or at least provide you a disclaimer of what will not work if you don't agree.

I'll let you know if this fixes the issue..

alexcapone

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Your post in another thread may actually be the answer I need:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=801841&p=5824443&viewfull=1#post5824443

I don't think I agreed to Interactive and Customized Services. I logged into my account and agreed just now. Usually an app won't let you proceed if you don't agree to the terms or at least provide you a disclaimer of what will not work if you don't agree.

I'll let you know if this fixes the issue..

This worked. Thank you erasat. You have been helpful for a few of my questions in the short time I've owned this phone.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but as of now there is no easy full backup/restore solution on Android, what we have now is naturally better than before but you will still need to redo some stuff and some apps won't restore .

So I recently did a factory reset on my s8 hoping it would fix the issues with Google Play Music crashing on Android Auto (didn't work). The combination of the Samsung backup and a backup of Nova Launcher was almost magical.

As soon as the phone finished the basic restart (putting in my google account info) I think it asked if I wanted to restore my most recent Samsung backup. I selected yes, and while it was reinstalling all of those backed up apps, I reinstalled Nova and chose the restore option, selecting the backup file from my dropbox account (after installing dropbox again). Not only were all my home screens and icons set up exactly as before, it had even backed up the icon pack and wallpaper.

This was by far the easiest setup I have ever had on an Android phone. I think the only things not completely restored via this method are:
- any widgets on your home screen; the place holders will be there but you need to set them up again.
- your email log in for any non-google email accounts.
- and logging in the first time to all of the apps requiring it (facebook, linkedin, twitter, etc.).

Got what would have been a 2-hour process for me down to 30-45 minutes. Fantastic. Even if you don't think you want a launcher like Nova, or will customize your system much with it, getting the launcher just for the restore feature should be worth it. I don't know if Action launcher (or others) have this kind of robust backup/restore, but it is wonderful on Nova.