06-21-2017 06:59 PM
187 12345 ...
tools
    I'd also recommend not dropping newborn children.
    05-22-2017 09:48 AM
    Bought the Samsung S8 and unfortunately dropped it the first day and it shattered like glass. I cannot believe Samsung is doing this to us. The screen is gorilla glass which is great then they have the nerve to charge 600-800+ for a phone made of something so fragile. Where I bought it they did not have a case for it. I say buy a case first then the phone.
    I don't want to rub it in, I totally get your frustration! I returned a phone because there was a small scratch on the bottom back that you could see just in a certain angle! I know how crazy this sounds but when you buy something so expensive you want it to be perfect (and rightfully so).

That being said, it's glass hence it shattering like glass. Samsung isn't really to blame here as it never claimed it was solid and shatterproof. And I'm certainly not saying you are to blame either. Those things are portable and therefore proned to be dropped. And I'm really really feeling for you!

When I got my S7 I left it in the box until my case arrived. That's how scared I was of it breaking. In that respect, the last part of your message is the most important: never use it without a case.

So kids: Never use it without a case!

Do not drop the samsung s8-hqdefault.jpg
    bassplayrguy, johnriii and jacker like this.
    05-22-2017 09:49 AM
    And word has it Apple is going back to an all glass design to facilitate wireless charging.... Between the G6, Galaxy series and what looks to be next iPhones ( as well as some previous ones...) Looks like all the top tier options will be all Glass...
    Seriously hope they don't. Wireless can be done with both metal and plastic backs as well, and both metal and plastic are better than glass for durability for obvious reasons. https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releas...mobile-devices
    EMGSM likes this.
    05-22-2017 10:59 AM
    Worst phone ever made in terms of durability, the iphone 4
    05-22-2017 11:33 AM
    My 13 yr old son dropped his S8 on like day 3. Cracked with a case and screen protector on it. Accidents happen and insurance replaced it.
    Unless they have a job to pay for it themselves my kids will never have a top end premium phone unless it's my 2 year old hand me down.
    05-22-2017 11:44 AM
    Any device can break when dropped it all depends on what it drops on and how it hits all you can do is hope for the best and use a case and screen protection.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    05-22-2017 11:55 AM
    This is exactly why I will NEVER buy a phone with curved edges like the Samsung(s). They are just too fragile and the edges are useless. What is the point of having curved glass and on the back also when you have to cover it it in thick rubber??? Samsung...are you listening???? Time for all OEM's to get back to practical basics and build these things better. Of course those who make the cases like it that these expensive toys are so fragile...keeps them in business.
    Bottom line is, this is what ppl asked for and it is outselling all previous models so I think as long as that's the case, it will continue.
    05-22-2017 12:03 PM
    RhinoShield Bumper pictures.
    I see you got the dragon skin on. Looks good
    05-22-2017 01:30 PM
    Don't see why a kid needs a high end phone and made of glass also. But I digress, sometimes I wonder if easily shattered phones are purposely made that way as another revenue source for the likes of Samsung and others.
    cburnett565 likes this.
    05-22-2017 02:34 PM
    Bought the Samsung S8 and unfortunately dropped it the first day and it shattered like glass.
    Shattered like the material it is made out of?

Always use a case or be prepared for situations like this. I just bought an amazing Incipio case from my local Verizon store.
    johnriii likes this.
    05-22-2017 02:38 PM
    It was so pretty though!
    05-22-2017 02:50 PM
    Unless they have a job to pay for it themselves my kids will never have a top end premium phone unless it's my 2 year old hand me down.
    Mostly agree. But since both of my daughters are National Honor Society members, with GPAs in excess of 4.0 (from getting honors class credits in math, physics, chemistry and Spanish) I count that as nearly as good as paying for it themselves. It's a perk for performance.
    05-22-2017 02:52 PM
    I understand your frustration and anger towards what happened, but honestly, that's what happens when you drop glass. There is no glass in this world that doesn't break when it falls, one way or another. Mayne I'm used to having a glass phone because I've had the S7 Edge for a little over a year before I upgraded to the S8+, but I have always been very careful with my phone and where I place it when not in use. You cannot get mad at the manufacturer since everybody and their mother complained about the plastic cheap feel of their previous flagship phones and they decided to take that input and make it better. You can't go around having your phone caseless and not expect the risk of dropping. It's just what happens. I really am sorry it happened. I would have been devastated, but it would have been my fault for breaking the phone, not Samsung.
    pinkivy98 and johnriii like this.
    05-22-2017 03:04 PM
    Seen those come out of phone cases with broken glass backs, owner didn't know it was broken because the case was always on. Lol
    05-22-2017 03:08 PM
    Mostly agree. But since both of my daughters are National Honor Society members, with GPAs in excess of 4.0 (from getting honors class credits in math, physics, chemistry and Spanish) I count that as nearly as good as paying for it themselves. It's a perk for performance.
    Well great bragging, I could do the same, so I will. In addition to what your kids have, mine also learn to pay for their toys, cars, gas, insurance, what a job is, and you have to work for what you want.
    kevinpleasants and 103Softail like this.
    05-22-2017 03:12 PM
    Well great bragging, I could do the same, so I will. In addition to what your kids have, mine also learn to pay for their toys, cars, gas, insurance, what a job is, and you have to work for what you want.
    Did I mention that mine are doing all this from the moon-base they built?
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    05-22-2017 03:17 PM
    I can't believe the entitlement kids have these days...

There is no reason for kids to have this phone.
    johnriii and ajsmsg78 like this.
    05-22-2017 03:20 PM
    I can't believe the entitlement kids have these days...

There is no reason for kids to have this phone.
    Mine don't, they can't afford it
    pankaj981 likes this.
    05-22-2017 03:30 PM
    This thread needs a title change.

"Do not drop your phone."

Every phone can break if dropped. Some more easily than others. But consider it's a $700-800 device. Take care of it. They're is absolutely no expectation that any phone should be able to withstand a drop unless it is actually designed to do so.
    05-22-2017 03:49 PM
    I'd also recommend not dropping newborn children.
    Well sometimes newborn children fall out of your hands when putting then into your pocket. Things happen...
    05-22-2017 04:03 PM
    it has gorilla glass 5 yes but being curved compromises it and makes it more vulnerable to falls i've seen videos of people dropping it without too much damage but ofc it's an all glass phone it's not made to be dropped lmao. Also i should add gorilla glass is not shatter proof nor scratch proof they're more resistant compared to oh idk something like an iphone screen, but ultimately any all glass phone is more prone to breaking specially with curves.
    05-22-2017 04:04 PM
    No one suggested it was intentional. Carelessness is called carelessness for a reason.
    There's nothing in the OP that suggests this was due to carelessness.
    dlalonde likes this.
    05-22-2017 04:40 PM
    There's nothing in the OP that suggests this was due to carelessness.
    Dropping a phone strongly suggests carelessness.
    05-22-2017 04:45 PM
    Dropping a phone strongly suggests carelessness.
    Or an accident.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    05-22-2017 04:48 PM
    Or an accident.
    How are those mutually exclusive?
    05-22-2017 04:54 PM
187 12345 ...