06-21-2017 06:59 PM
187 ... 23456 ...
tools
    It was so pretty though!
    [Looking for magnifying glass] wasn't that a tiny little thing?
    05-22-2017 05:10 PM
    How are those mutually exclusive?
    Do you work for an insurance company? You should look into it, your boss would love you!

Crap happens... doesn't necessarily involve recklessness.
    05-22-2017 05:14 PM
    Crap happens... doesn't necessarily involve recklessness.
    No one spoke of recklessness. Carelessness is less severe than recklessness. I've never dropped a phone unless I was being careless. Have you? If so, how? Talking about the details of specific accidents is something we can usefully learn from.
    cass_m likes this.
    05-22-2017 08:52 PM
    As an owner of an s8+, I actually kind of have no pity for you. I don't mean to be a **** but they made several reviews of what would happen if it were dropped onto its back. These were made weeks before the phone's actual launch.

The phone with tax (CAD) is $1250 (for the plus), and the back is made out of the same gorilla glass as the ****ty older always broken models, this was not a surprising result.

That being said, ouch dude.
    amyf27 likes this.
    05-23-2017 12:21 AM
    I can't feel remorse. If my provider didn't have a case, I wouldn't use it until I got one or I would go elsewhere.
    It's not Samsung's fault. I wouldn't use my 600 to 800 device without spending 40 for a case to protect it before I used it. Just my opinion.
    05-23-2017 12:54 AM
    I picked up a Samsung flip cover case at the same time I picked up my phone. The only time it has taken a fall it landed face down, with the cover flipped open. Luckily it landed on a towel. It's sad to have such a beautiful phone that has to be hidden in a case to keep it safe, but after cracking my s7 twice, I'm too scared to risk it.
    amyf27 likes this.
    05-23-2017 01:27 AM
    Sorry to see this happened to you. As soon as I got my S8 Plus it was in a case before it left the store. Walked outside the store and had a tempered glass screen protector immediately put on it. As gorgeous a phone as it is I would rather not have a broken phone scenario.
    blaine07 likes this.
    05-23-2017 01:32 AM
    I missed my shirt pocket with my S8+ and it dropped from there to a tile floor with only a very thin mat. Phone in Spigen Tough Armor and no damage whatsoever to either the case or the phone. I can hardly wait to see what the S9 is going to be made of ;(
    probably porcelain.
    amyf27 likes this.
    05-23-2017 01:36 AM
    No one spoke of recklessness. Carelessness is less severe than recklessness. I've never dropped a phone unless I was being careless. Have you? If so, how? Talking about the details of specific accidents is something we can usefully learn from.
    My s7 edge got launched off my counter by a suction cup stand that let go, and cracked the front bottom r right corner. Right before I picked up my s8 it slipped out of my pocket while my daughter was sitting on my lap at the kitchen table and cracked the top back right corner. So, I never actually dropped it, but it did fall. Slippery phone in a shallow pocket can slip out pretty easily, and check for anything that might impede the suction effect (hair, dust, etc.) before trying to use a suction cup stand.
    05-23-2017 01:51 AM
    Like most phones it doesn't exactly look durable. It sucks but I feel like this is more your fault than Samsung's.
    05-23-2017 02:04 AM
    Slippery phone in a shallow pocket can slip out pretty easily, and check for anything that might impede the suction effect (hair, dust, etc.) before trying to use a suction cup stand.
    Thanks, those are helpful pointers! I too have learned that sloppy suction mounting, and use of shallow pockets, are forms of carelessness that are important to avoid.
    05-23-2017 07:54 AM
    [Looking for magnifying glass] wasn't that a tiny little thing?
    Well sometimes bigger isn't ALWAYS better.
    amyf27 likes this.
    05-23-2017 10:00 AM
    Indeed I quoted the wrong word. My point still stands. I strongly disagree with you.

Plus you talk about details being useful and you're absolutely right, they are. Unfortunately, the OP doesn't offer any. So no one can decide it was carelessness. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

Now reading further on the thread, you say that using "sloppy suction mounting, and use of shallow pockets, are forms of carelessness". I'd suggest you review your definition of carelessness. One can use a crappy suction cup without knowing it is. Carelessness implies responsability. It means not being careful. And, as the saying goes, crap happens!

Now this will be my last reply on the subject. I've made my point, we can agree to disagree. That'll be all. Carry on.
    LineKill and crzycrkr like this.
    05-23-2017 10:17 AM
    I cannot believe Samsung is doing this to us. The screen is gorilla glass which is great then they have the nerve to charge 600-800+ for a phone made of something so fragile.
    I'm sorry. I'm confused. What exactly has Samsung done wrong? They've been selling Edge displays on the S-Series for 2 years now on 3 generations of S-Lines. They did not make you purchase the phone. I'm sure you had other options available (LG G6), and Samsung did not make you drop your phone. Would you "accidentally drop $1000 in cash if you were holding it? That's how you need to hold your phone: Like you just paid $1000 for it!
    cmdacos and pinkivy98 like this.
    05-24-2017 07:58 AM
    Bought the Samsung S8 and unfortunately dropped it the first day and it shattered like glass. I cannot believe Samsung is doing this to us. The screen is gorilla glass which is great then they have the nerve to charge 600-800+ for a phone made of something so fragile. Where I bought it they did not have a case for it. I say buy a case first then the phone.
    Hi. We're Samsung. Now that our shiney design did it's job and separated you from your money, for goodness sake cover it up and never look at it again. We build to sell, not to last. We promise to get it right next time. See you next upgrade along with a "Galaxy” of positive reviews!
    cburnett565, johnriii and recDNA like this.
    05-24-2017 08:00 AM
    Bought the Samsung S8 and unfortunately dropped it the first day and it shattered like glass. I cannot believe Samsung is doing this to us. The screen is gorilla glass which is great then they have the nerve to charge 600-800+ for a phone made of something so fragile. Where I bought it they did not have a case for it. I say buy a case first then the phone.
    If I have a car and get in an accident the first day with it. Is it the car manufacturer's fault i got in a crash, after charging me $20-40K for the car?
    cmdacos, johnriii, amyf27 and 3 others like this.
    05-24-2017 08:09 AM
    Samsung isn't responsible for people that can't take care of their phones.
    amyf27 and mhinc like this.
    05-24-2017 08:10 AM
    Hi. We're Samsung. Now that our shiney design did it's job and separated you from your money, for goodness sake cover it up and never look at it again. We build to sell, not to last. We promise to get it right next time. See you next upgrade along with a "Galaxy” of positive reviews!
    Ah come on now... you're buying a GLASS phone. Glass. It's bloody glass. It breaks like glass. Samsung is not hiding the fact that it's made of glass nor is it making you believe it's more solid than it is and Samsung is certainly not forcing you to buy anything. That goes for Samsung but any other phone you could buy. The screens are made of glass as well. If you drop them, the screen will probably break.

If you're not a fan of fragile expensive phones, don't buy them. Buy a metal phone or a cheap phone that you won't mind dropping (they make excellent inexpensive phones now).

If you'd have posted this about the Note 7's battery problems I could have agreed. But on the fact that it's glass and breaks like glass? Come on now... if YOU decide to seperate YOURSELF from YOUR money to buy a phone made of glass, YOU accept that it needs protection or that it will break. If YOU'RE not ready for this, buy something else.
    crzycrkr and Wbutchart1 like this.
    05-24-2017 08:15 AM
    Sorry for your loss, but fortunately it's just the back glass. It appears to be sacrificial to save the front glass. The back glass is available for the S7 for less than $20, I didn't see any for the S8 yet, but I also did not look hard, it should not be too expensive. It's not rocket science to swap out either...look it up on ifixit.
    05-24-2017 09:18 AM
    I'd suggest you review your definition of carelessness. One can use a crappy suction cup without knowing it is. Carelessness implies respons[i]bility. It means not being careful. And, as the saying goes, crap happens!.
    Accidents happen, but they happen way less often if you're careful. It's careless to rely on a suction mount unless you first establish that it's not crappy, and also (as the person who had the accident noted) make sure you're attaching to a clean, smooth surface.

Before relying on a suction mount not to drop your $850 phone, it's a good idea to test the mount with an inexpensive object that weighs more than the phone. Jostle it and tug on it occasionally, and see if the suction cup holds for a few hours. And even then, try to mount the phone so that it doesn't fall far, or onto a hard surface, if the mount lets go.
    05-24-2017 09:54 AM
    Accidents happen, but they happen way less often if you're careful. It's careless to rely on a suction mount unless you first establish that it's not crappy, and also (as the person who had the accident noted) make sure you're attaching to a clean, smooth surface.

Before relying on a suction mount not to drop your $850 phone, it's a good idea to test the mount with an inexpensive object that weighs more than the phone. Jostle it and tug on it occasionally, and see if the suction cup holds for a few hours. And even then, try to mount the phone so that it doesn't fall far, or onto a hard surface, if the mount lets go.
    Yes being careful helps but accidents happen. It is an inevitable part of life. You can't sit and say you've never done something on accident.. even when trying to be careful :P.
    GrooveRite likes this.
    05-24-2017 10:16 AM
    Well sometimes bigger isn't ALWAYS better.
    True and I see why people love the IPhone's. I just personally couldn't handle that small of a device
    05-24-2017 10:19 AM
    True and I see why people love the IPhone's. I just personally couldn't handle that small of a device
    I've been told that I should stop using a "child's phone" lol. But I use an SE and a S7 and enjoy both.

And yes, accidents happen. But 99% of the time, accidents are the result of being careless.
    05-24-2017 12:06 PM
    Ok, for all of those saying that a case covers up the phone:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU5826651

I also have this case as well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU5826651

I got each of them on sale for around $10-11. They might not be the best cases, but at least they don't cover up the aesthetic appearance of the phone.
    05-24-2017 12:21 PM
    You could theoretically use an almost unbreakable substance in a phone (someone mentioned transparent aluminum, which really exists - see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride ).

However, it would be expensive and/or interfere with radios (and/or wireless charging).

My advice? Choose a less fragile phone or get a case (and insurance, for peace of mind).
    recDNA likes this.
    05-24-2017 12:26 PM
187 ... 23456 ...