Do not drop the samsung s8

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Has Samsung really deserved any bad reviews? Their devices have been rock solid for awhile. They all have issues, but overall they are still amongst the best of the best.
Yes. The Samsung UI is almost universally disliked and they are known for becoming slower and slower over time. They are fragile and have mediocre battery life, especially after updates. They have very nice screens but there is very little media available in 18/9. There are many flaws with Samsung just as with Moto and LG. Oh and the speakers suck.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Yes. The Samsung UI is almost universally disliked and they are known for becoming slower and slower over time. They are fragile and have mediocre battery life, especially after updates. They have very nice screens but there is very little media available in 18/9. There are many flaws with Samsung just as with Moto and LG. Oh and the speakers suck.

Have you used a Samsung phone since Nougat? TouchWiz has become very good looking and light. It seems to be generally appreciated now.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Have you used a Samsung phone since Nougat? TouchWiz has become very good looking and light. It seems to be generally appreciated now.
No but it was never poorly reviewed even when it was very laggy. They had to build a hand grenade to get a bad review and even those were after the fact.

Now don't misunderstand - if the s8 were flat screened 16/9 with the tiny bezels and less fragile (plastic) I'd love it.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
No but it was never poorly reviewed even when it was very laggy. They had to build a hand grenade to get a bad review and even those were after the fact.

Now don't misunderstand - if the s8 were flat screened 16/9 with the tiny bezels and less fragile (plastic) I'd love it.

That's because the whole "lag" thing is overblown, and thankfully most reviewers are smart enough not to fall for that cliched mess.

Also most reviewers have moved on to the next new hotness after a month or so anyway.

Last edited:

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site

We're not watching the same reviewers then. The reviews I used to see on the Galaxy line compalined of the colors, the bloat and bloadware, the cartoonish pastels and the lag in certain aspects of the UI. They also questionned the pertinence of having the same services Google offered. They all seemed to prefer stock Android (as do I).

That's because the whole "lag" thing is overblown, and thankfully most reviewers are smart enough not to fall for that cliched mess.

Also most reviewers have moved on to the next new hotness after a month or so anyway.

It absolutely is especially now. My S7 runs smoothly as heck. I love it. I prefer stock Android and I still love the S7. I tried the S8 but it didn't really appeal to me.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lenovo P2 after downgrading from a Oneplus 3 and I couldn't be happier. Besides the poor cameras, this thing does it all.

Galaxy phones are status symbols and are completely impractical and have poor battery life and of course ludicrous prices. A mid range phone that has all the essential tech is a much better investment and less of an issue if it breaks.

With my P2 from a full charge, I can stream a 90 minute movie to Chromecast and I'll only lose 6% of my 5100mAh battery. I can then actually leave all the tech on on my phone and still use NFC and use S Health and Sleep as Android without having to charge for 2 and half days. On moderate to heavy usage I get 2 days easy and light gaming drains less than 7% an hour. If I barely touch my P2 from full charge I'll get 5+ days and that's without using the mega battery saver button on the side.

It's all about how it looks. A smartphone should be smart, not a 10 hour battery life one that has to become a dumbphone to achieve all day battery. The S8 has tons of issues beyond it being susceptible to breakage and until people realise that a balanced, durable phone is better than a showy, overpowered and overpriced gimmick, then the smarter that smartphone market will become.

Sadly lots of all glass phones break.

I bought my Galaxy s8+ having nothing to do at all with status. I also get excellent battery life. And with all of the options and functionality, how are they impractical?? There really is no need to come to this thread and be so negative unprovoked.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
When I pre-ordered my S8+ I also ordered a Spigen Ultra Hybrids S clear case. I only remove the phone to pop it into the Gear VR. And before the phone leaves the sofa it's back in the case. I never ever carry my phone naked.

Spigen Ultra Hybrid S Galaxy S8 Plus Case with Air Cushion Technology and Magnetic Metal Kickstand for Galaxy S8 Plus (2017) - Crystal Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XNSZJ3...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5835203
I love Spigen brand cases. I have the clear with and without kickstand.

May 28, 2017
Visit site
I bought my Galaxy s8+ having nothing to do at all with status. I also get excellent battery life. And with all of the options and functionality, how are they impractical?? There really is no need to come to this thread and be so negative unprovoked.
Unprovoked? I don't need to be to share an opinion. With moderate usage your phone, new, would last a day. 6 months later that will not be the case. Phones are impractical when limited by small batteries and ridiculously powerful (overpowered) hardware.

Did you know? Most people who get the latest phone don't use the phones power and features to its full potential? People buy **** mostly because it's cool or just the latest thing. This is typical human behaviour. It's how fashion and trends are made and how they change. I'm not being nasty, I'm just sharing my opinion.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Form over function. Non removable batteries are fine is their capacity isn't ****. Many phones don't have their max capacity, it's a theoretical max. Most batteries will be missing 100-300mAh. This is why powerful phones (like my previous OnePlus 3) sucked. It's hilarious people want to look cool and have the latest to appeal to their ego but have to make do with **** battery, turning off lots of the included in the phone or lugging a charging or power bank around all day. Some people are lucky and get phones that somehow seem to last longer than others. Some are unlucky and have awful batteries.

Glass... I agree, pointless when phones need to be covered in cases.

Smartphone companies have it in their heads that we want super thin phones. I think that's why many of them make under powered batteries. Most of us would be fine with a slightly thicker phone with a big battery that actually lasted a full day under heavy use. I had never even heard of the Lenovo P2 until you mentioned it. Other than the crappy camera, that seems like a good phone. For me, the lousy camera would drive me nuts though.

The talk of status symbol with new phones is true to a degree but you kind of sound like the guy who drives a Toyata Corolla who is talking smack to the guy who drives a Corvette because the Corolla has navigation, bluetooth too but gets way better gas mileage than the overpriced, overpowered Corvette. Lol. Some people want maximum performance. If you're happy with your P2, that's great but I'm not sure why you'd come on the S8 forum to tell everyone that they got this phone as a status symbol. It doesn't really bother me but you're obviously going to antagonize someone. Probably what you're going for? Lol

As far as glass backs go, they are kind of annoying durability wise but they feel much better than plastic while still allowing for wireless charging, which is kind of a gimmick but people really seem to like it. I only use my wireless charger for overnight charging. Poor battery life is only a minor annoyance. Unless you're on a week long hike in the woods, how often is it that you aren't near a charger? With normal use, I can get a full day out of my phone easily. If I use it really heavily, I just pop it on the charger in the middle of the day for a half hour or so to top it off. I have a charger in the car, at work and a few at the house so it's really no big deal to throw it on the charger for a while. Fast charging is... Fast. If I'm streaming a movie from my phone to my TV, I'm right next to an outlet.

OneSick8350i

Jun 1, 2017
Visit site
T-Mobile employee: You going to get a case?

Me: I'm not leaving this store without an OtterBox Defender. You going to hook me up since I'm buying a phone?

T.E.: Normally we don't discount accessories but I can do $10 credit towards your account.

Me: Sold and I'll make sure you get a great survey!

TL: DR I NEVER leave the smartphone store without my OtterBox Defender. ??????

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile employee: You going to get a case?

Me: I'm not leaving this store without an OtterBox Defender. You going to hook me up since I'm buying a phone?

T.E.: Normally we don't discount accessories but I can do $10 credit towards your account.

Me: Sold and I'll make sure you get a great survey!

TL: DR I NEVER leave the smartphone store without my OtterBox Defender. 😂
They should just make a flat faced phone with a plastic back so you don't need one!

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I don't understand why people like to blame the phone maker for them being careless. I got my s8 and a case at the same time. it went from the box to the case in the store before it was evened handed to me, b3acuae it's made of glass.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I had two cases for the s8+ about a week before it arrived. I rarely have it out of the case. Funny thing....tmobile showed some certified Note 5s available at a decent price so I ordered one, it'll be here tomorrow. I've got a case coming too lol. I just loved that phone, and having a certified one from Tmobile it will still have a 1 year mfg warranty. This way I may be able to hold off getting the next new Note since it'll undoubtedly be pricey lok

mrmarquis9

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I want to provide some hope. I cracked my S8+ today and called Samsung I was completely honest to the agent and apologized for my clumsiness and told her I was ready to pay for it. To my surprise she put me on hold and told Samsung provided me a free repair. Honesty goes a long way! :)
7a09879d31bced30b34391e45726ae62.jpg

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but an accident caused by the user is not the fault of Samsung, like the OP said.

Work on that reading comprehension. OP never said Samsung caused the drop. He blamed Samsung for having glass devices. His point was if the device was metal or plastic it would not have shattered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo