i just don't understand why people turn off AOD?

oneformula

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
of course, anyone can do anything they want for any reason they wish.... but i don't understand turning off AOD to save battery.

i mean, it doesn't use much. but more importantly, you can put it in your pocket or face down, and the AOD shuts off.

so... you can have AOD on, never have it lit and using battery, and once in a while when you want to know the time or your alerts, just flip it face up and look... then flip over next.

jacker

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: i just don't understand....

I don't get it either personally.

If you're about to run outta battery then yeah... But to each their own right lol

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't turn it off for battery.. I just turn it off since I don't want it. :).

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site

Can I suggest a better thread title so people know wether to click on it to not. Just a thought.

Personally I've used AOD on my s7 edge and s8 with no detrimental effect.

That said I'd like an option without a battery % indicator as I prefer just enjoying my phone and not being drawn to looking at that.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

The AOD is one of my favorite features. Whatever miniscule amount of battery it does use is well worth it to meツ

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

I turn off AOD because there is pretty much NEVER a time that I need it on. It stays in my pocket the entire time I am at work accept for my breaks. I can manage looking at time, getting notifications, reading and sending text, and controlling my music through my android watch.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site

I have it on, really like the feature, doesn't seem to drain battery much either. My worry is if it will burn out the screen quicker? For that reason I'm considering switching it off.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site

Why do some drive Honda and some drive Ford? Drink Coke over Pepsi? Its all a matter of preference. Personally I don't use AOD, but I use features others may not, its just how we all choose to use our devices, the choices we make.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I turned it off on the S7 edge till after the nougat update, before nougat it was useless. Coming from the note 7 to the S7 edge, the AOD was a huge downgrade from note 7. Glad to have the good AOD again, now it's always on.

Keith Molloy

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Personally i fail to see what the big deal with AOD is! If the phone is in my hand then i don't need AOD on as i can quickly check for any notifications within 2 seconds and if its not in my hand then why the hell would i want the time and notifications on display when the phone is not being looked at or perhaps it is ..... by someone else ha I personally just prefer to check for these things manually when i decide to so i see no need for AOD! Having it set to keep the home button on however is kinda useful particularly at night!!

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
if it[']s not in my hand then why the hell would i want the time and notifications on display when the phone is not being looked at or perhaps it is[--]by someone else
You can control whether the phone displays notification content on either the AOD or the lock screen. When my phone is in its charging stand, I like to use it as a clock/calendar, and to see the outdoor temperature and the battery level, and to display a custom image.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You raise a good point, OP. I very often lay my phones facedown as it is, so I would find the feature of the AOD being temporarily disabled by such a motion very appealing.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I never turned it on on my S7 Edge but it's a different story on my S8 Plus. So very useful, love the double tap on the icon to access notification. It also looks very nice on the infinity wallpapers. I have it scheduled to turn off at midnight and back on at 5:30 AM. don't need it while am asleep ;)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I never turned it on on my S7 Edge but it's a different story on my S8 Plus. So very useful, love the double tap on the icon to access notification. It also looks very nice on the infinity wallpapers. I have it scheduled to turn off at midnight and back on at 5:30 AM. don't need it while am asleep ;)

You make the 8 series so very tempting. I could totally do that with it. Do you ever find yourself missing notifications, or have you gotten used to AOD completely?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
You make the 8 series so very tempting. I could totally do that with it. Do you ever find yourself missing notifications, or have you gotten used to AOD completely?
You can still click the power button to get to the lock screen and all your notifications will be there just like before. On S8 Plus, you can also press the on screen home button from AOD to get to your notification on your lock screen.
I set my home button thought to take me straight to the home page. Power button to the lock screen :). This way you have every thing you can wish for.

AOD for a quick glance of what pending notifications you have.
Power button gives me a bit more info (lock screen regulate notification style)
Home button bypasses everything and get me straight to my home screen.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You can still click the power button to get to the lock screen and all your notifications will be there just like before. On S8 Plus, you can also press the on screen home button from AOD to get to your notification on your lock screen.
I set my home button thought to take me straight to the home page. Power button to the lock screen :). This way you have every thing you can wish for.

AOD for a quick glance of what pending notifications you have.
Power button gives me a bit more info (lock screen regulate notification style)
Home button bypasses everything and get me straight to my home screen.

What a great setup! Thank you for sharing! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton