i just don't understand why people turn off AOD?

Vipmediastar

Apr 11, 2017
Visit site
Awesome. It is now setup in that manner. I even got a lion from the samsung themes to match my lion lock screen and wallpaper. Thanks android community for helping make my galaxy more awesome.

Keith Molloy

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I decided to give in and turn on AOD last night! Went to bed at 1am on 72% and woke just before 9am on 59% so needless to say i shall be turning AOD off again ha Imo thats too much a % to lose over night when i usually would have only lost 4/5% . . . . An additional 7/8% loss may not seem loads but over 24hours that could easily contribute to 20% battery lost to AOD

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I decided to give in and turn on AOD last night! Went to bed at 1am on 72% and woke just before 9am on 59% so needless to say i shall be turning AOD off again ha Imo thats too much a % to lose over night when i usually would have only lost 4/5% . . . . An additional 7/8% loss may not seem loads but over 24hours that could easily contribute to 20% battery lost to AOD
First have it on a charger at night. Try that test in airplane mode with the AOD on, I don't think it's just the AOD using the battery power. In battery settings it will tell you exactly how much battery the AOD used.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
In battery settings it will tell you exactly how much battery the AOD used.
Exactly. That's how you measure battery use.

On an S8+, using a custom AOD image, my AOD used 13 mAh today in 9 hours of AOD time. That's slightly more than I reported in a post above, but still negligible over the course of a day.

Last edited:

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
And when enabled you need to long press it until it vibrates and unlocks as oppsosed to just tapping the home button
You can still just double-tap the home button.

My settings: from AOD, get directly to home screen via fingerprint--or else, hard-press or double-tap the home button (or press the power button), and then (with no further input) look at the screen for iris detection, which takes me to the home screen. So at most, one button-press (or double-tap) to get from AOD to home screen.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
You can still just double-tap the home button.

My settings: from AOD, get directly to home screen via fingerprint--or else, hard-press or double-tap the home button (or press the power button), and then (with no further input) look at the screen for iris detection, which takes me to the home screen. So at most, one button-press (or double-tap) to get from AOD to home screen.

Yeah, for me I've got other phones with double tap to wake so I do like you say and double tap the home button then swipe the lockscreen to unlock as it ALMOST recreates that double tap to wake method from my other phones. Or if I'm wanting to launch the camera I double tap the home button then swipe up the camera shortcut instead

Keith Molloy

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. That's how you measure battery use.

On an S8+, using a custom AOD image, my AOD used 13 mA today in 9 hours of AOD time. That's slightly more than I reported in a post above, but still negligible over the course of a day.

Mine appears to have used 21ma over a period of 8 hours!!

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I always wear an AndroidWear smart watch but Always On Display is still more useful for me. I don't have to raise my wrist or interact with anything to see notifications or time etc. It's just there in sight at all times. Hopefully all phones will have it soon

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I always wear an AndroidWear smart watch but Always On Display is still more useful for me. I don't have to raise my wrist or interact with anything to see notifications or time etc. It's just there in sight at all times. Hopefully all phones will have it soon

It is so useful it should be standard on all phones, all my friends with Iphones are jealous of AOD.

It's also really handy for playing Google Music as you don't have to wake your phone to change songs, it's all on AOD plus you can even see album art from a song.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It is so useful it should be standard on all phones, all my friends with Iphones are jealous of AOD.

It's also really handy for playing Google Music as you don't have to wake your phone to change songs, it's all on AOD plus you can even see album art from a song.

I've never used AOD - it sounds really awesome!

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Mine appears to have used 21[mAh] over a period of 8 hours!!
Why the exclamation point(s)? Are you surprised by that number? It's slightly higher than mine, perhaps because of a different image or different brightness. But it's still well under 1% of the battery's capacity.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

That is funny the other night I left it off the charger overnight for 9 hours and only lost 8%, just as a test on the weekend. I usually just charge it wirelessly over night. It is my clock.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
of course, anyone can do anything they want for any reason they wish.... but i don't understand turning off AOD to save battery.

i mean, it doesn't use much. but more importantly, you can put it in your pocket or face down, and the AOD shuts off.

so... you can have AOD on, never have it lit and using battery, and once in a while when you want to know the time or your alerts, just flip it face up and look... then flip over next.

The AOD looks like the screen isn't even off esp. with the Galaxy background and big fonts on such a huge screen, people think it'll eat their battery. Even I felt that way. It could also be OCD and the fear of burn in.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance