07-17-2017 06:28 AM
133 123 ...
tools
    of course, anyone can do anything they want for any reason they wish.... but i don't understand turning off AOD to save battery.

i mean, it doesn't use much. but more importantly, you can put it in your pocket or face down, and the AOD shuts off.

so... you can have AOD on, never have it lit and using battery, and once in a while when you want to know the time or your alerts, just flip it face up and look... then flip over next.
    05-21-2017 02:48 PM
    I don't get it either personally.

If you're about to run outta battery then yeah... But to each their own right lol
    05-21-2017 03:02 PM
    AOD is a feature I must have, regardless of battery.
    05-21-2017 03:05 PM
    I don't turn it off for battery.. I just turn it off since I don't want it. .
    20blks, hdhuntr, QSZ06 and 8 others like this.
    05-21-2017 03:09 PM
    Can I suggest a better thread title so people know wether to click on it to not. Just a thought.

Personally I've used AOD on my s7 edge and s8 with no detrimental effect.

That said I'd like an option without a battery % indicator as I prefer just enjoying my phone and not being drawn to looking at that.
    LineKill likes this.
    05-21-2017 03:09 PM
    The AOD is one of my favorite features. Whatever miniscule amount of battery it does use is well worth it to meツ
    mary beth hale likes this.
    05-21-2017 03:25 PM
    I turn off AOD because there is pretty much NEVER a time that I need it on. It stays in my pocket the entire time I am at work accept for my breaks. I can manage looking at time, getting notifications, reading and sending text, and controlling my music through my android watch.
    jjinal, libra89 and 1naturalace like this.
    05-21-2017 03:38 PM
    I have it on, really like the feature, doesn't seem to drain battery much either. My worry is if it will burn out the screen quicker? For that reason I'm considering switching it off.
    franciscoam1981 likes this.
    05-21-2017 03:51 PM
    Why do some drive Honda and some drive Ford? Drink Coke over Pepsi? Its all a matter of preference. Personally I don't use AOD, but I use features others may not, its just how we all choose to use our devices, the choices we make.
    hdhuntr likes this.
    05-21-2017 03:58 PM
    I'm curious how many mA of power people estimate AOD uses--both those who do and those who don't think it's worth it.
    05-21-2017 04:59 PM
    Doesn't show enough information to be useful IMO.
    05-21-2017 05:01 PM
    Doesn't show enough information to be useful IMO.
    It's minimal. But I figure another clock is always useful. And it looks cool perched in its charging stand, especially with a custom image.
    05-21-2017 05:20 PM
    I turned it off on the S7 edge till after the nougat update, before nougat it was useless. Coming from the note 7 to the S7 edge, the AOD was a huge downgrade from note 7. Glad to have the good AOD again, now it's always on.
    05-21-2017 05:46 PM
    Personally i fail to see what the big deal with AOD is! If the phone is in my hand then i don't need AOD on as i can quickly check for any notifications within 2 seconds and if its not in my hand then why the hell would i want the time and notifications on display when the phone is not being looked at or perhaps it is ..... by someone else ha I personally just prefer to check for these things manually when i decide to so i see no need for AOD! Having it set to keep the home button on however is kinda useful particularly at night!!
    05-21-2017 05:58 PM
    if it[']s not in my hand then why the hell would i want the time and notifications on display when the phone is not being looked at or perhaps it is[--]by someone else
    You can control whether the phone displays notification content on either the AOD or the lock screen. When my phone is in its charging stand, I like to use it as a clock/calendar, and to see the outdoor temperature and the battery level, and to display a custom image.
    bassplayrguy likes this.
    05-21-2017 06:24 PM
    You raise a good point, OP. I very often lay my phones facedown as it is, so I would find the feature of the AOD being temporarily disabled by such a motion very appealing.
    oneformula likes this.
    05-21-2017 06:26 PM
    I never turned it on on my S7 Edge but it's a different story on my S8 Plus. So very useful, love the double tap on the icon to access notification. It also looks very nice on the infinity wallpapers. I have it scheduled to turn off at midnight and back on at 5:30 AM. don't need it while am asleep
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-21-2017 06:40 PM
    I never turned it on on my S7 Edge but it's a different story on my S8 Plus. So very useful, love the double tap on the icon to access notification. It also looks very nice on the infinity wallpapers. I have it scheduled to turn off at midnight and back on at 5:30 AM. don't need it while am asleep
    You make the 8 series so very tempting. I could totally do that with it. Do you ever find yourself missing notifications, or have you gotten used to AOD completely?
    05-21-2017 06:54 PM
    You make the 8 series so very tempting. I could totally do that with it. Do you ever find yourself missing notifications, or have you gotten used to AOD completely?
    You can still click the power button to get to the lock screen and all your notifications will be there just like before. On S8 Plus, you can also press the on screen home button from AOD to get to your notification on your lock screen.
    I set my home button thought to take me straight to the home page. Power button to the lock screen . This way you have every thing you can wish for.

AOD for a quick glance of what pending notifications you have.
    Power button gives me a bit more info (lock screen regulate notification style)
    Home button bypasses everything and get me straight to my home screen.
    05-21-2017 07:12 PM
    You can still click the power button to get to the lock screen and all your notifications will be there just like before. On S8 Plus, you can also press the on screen home button from AOD to get to your notification on your lock screen.
    I set my home button thought to take me straight to the home page. Power button to the lock screen . This way you have every thing you can wish for.

What a great setup! Thank you for sharing!
    05-21-2017 07:36 PM

In addition to all that great stuff you mentioned, you can also wave your hand over the phone to go to the lock screen without even touching itツ
    Lepa79, Morty2264 and DX9 like this.
    05-21-2017 07:38 PM
    I like having it on a schedule. It's my night stand clock.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-21-2017 07:48 PM
    In addition to all that great stuff you mentioned, you can also wave your hand over the phone to go to the lock screen without even touching itツ
    I completely forgot about this!
    For folks who are interested, you can turn this on under Settings - Accessibility - Dexterity and Interaction - Easy Screen Turn on
    LineKill, DX9, gregg6942 and 2 others like this.
    05-21-2017 07:58 PM
    WHOOOAAHHH that's so cool!!!
    LineKill likes this.
    05-21-2017 08:01 PM
    I turned it off on the S7 edge till after the nougat update, before nougat it was useless. Coming from the note 7 to the S7 edge, the AOD was a huge downgrade from note 7. Glad to have the good AOD again, now it's always on.
    That's what I did with the S 7 edge until they updated. The note 7 spoiled us. Lol
    05-21-2017 08:57 PM
133 123 ...