05-31-2017 09:42 AM
39 12
tools
    I had 3 actives back to back need warranty replacement and the first thing they asked was if the water damage indicator was tripped. On the actives it resided in the sim card tray.

I wouldn't trust what's being said unless you've actually tried it. Unfortunately, by then it's too late. For me, none were tripped so they replaced the phones (for other issues) but they left the impression it wouldn't be if they were tripped.
    Well, since they just warranty replaced the screen and battery on my S7 Edge that I have also done this with, I'm pretty confident in the coverage. Had I not experienced it first hand, I would be a bit more cautious, but having gone through it, I have faith in both the phone and their coverage.
    05-24-2017 06:29 AM
    Were the Actives IP68 rated? I have no idea.
    05-24-2017 06:30 AM
    Were the Actives IP68 rated? I have no idea.
    Yes and the original batches were also given a 1 year unlimited warranty for any water damage at no cost to the consumer due to faulty seals.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-24-2017 06:52 AM
    Well, since they just warranty replaced the screen and battery on my S7 Edge that I have also done this with, I'm pretty confident in the coverage. Had I not experienced it first hand, I would be a bit more cautious, but having gone through it, I have faith in both the phone and their coverage.
    Great to hear!
    05-24-2017 11:26 PM
    Good job! I'll be doing something similar this weekend.
    05-25-2017 02:45 PM
    When I first did this experiment last year, I was terrified. This year, totally put my faith behind Samsung. Especially now since I know that it will be covered under factory warranty as long as I don't exceed the limitations. Then again, they don't mention if you are to be recording or taking photos while submerged. I've heard differing views on that one. Perhaps I should ask....
    Where did you get this information? My understanding is water damage is NOT covered under warranty.
    05-25-2017 03:36 PM
    Where did you get this information? My understanding is water damage is NOT covered under warranty.
    It's not. They will only cover hardware defects and system malfunctions as long as there is no physical or liquid damage with the standard 1 year warranty.

To get water damage coverage you have to pay for Samsung Premium Care @ $11.99/month with a $99 deductible.
    05-25-2017 05:46 PM
    O. So he's just banking in his insurance. Most I've done is take my S8 in the rain on a jog. But it was in my pocket. Barely got wet. I thought about taking it into the water park when I went to Kalahari, but it's rated for 5ft depth. It's not rated for pressurized water hitting it from jets or falls. Nor is it rated for withstanding waves in the wave pool. So it stayed in my hotel room.
    05-25-2017 07:06 PM
    O. So he's just banking in his insurance. Most I've done is take my S8 in the rain on a jog. But it was in my pocket. Barely got wet. I thought about taking it into the water park when I went to Kalahari, but it's rated for 5ft depth. It's not rated for pressurized water hitting it from jets or falls. Nor is it rated for withstanding waves in the wave pool. So it stayed in my hotel room.
    I've taken my other ip68 phones in pools before and only 1 phone failed miserably, the s7 active. Fortunately it was found they had defective seals and Sammy replaced it, 3 times. My G6 has been in the rain and under the faucet and no issues. My S8+ went under the faucet and had no issues either. My S8 hasn't been near water yet but it will be Saturday after a softball tourney that is sure to cover my phone in dust if I take it instead of the G6.

My thought process is pretty simple on the situation. If the device has accidental insurance then I won't worry about it ending up in water. If it doesn't have that coverage then it stays far far away from water. Right now the devices I have are covered so it's not really a concern.

Underwater pictures can be really fun. The video I got going down a massive water slide that knocked my s7 active out of my hands was entertaining as well.
    05-25-2017 07:36 PM
    The play area where my son was at has a bucket drop 1000 gallon's of water on you from about 40ft above you. It's enough force to knock you off your feet if you don't brace yourself. Pressure like that ( and other stuff like it in park) would probably be enough to blow out the seals. I wasn't going to risk it.
    05-25-2017 08:02 PM
    I can live with it getting wet from rain and what not but it's the chlorine that would freak me out. Same with the salt water at the ocean. Neither can be good on the hardware.
    05-26-2017 05:53 AM
    I can live with it getting wet from rain and what not but it's the chlorine that would freak me out. Same with the salt water at the ocean. Neither can be good on the hardware.
    Salt water is a HUGE no no.
    05-26-2017 06:48 AM
    I got this straight from Samsung.
    05-31-2017 09:40 AM
    Not banking on insurance as I don't insure my phones when I buy them outright. Only going based on what I learned from Samsung direct. I'm not saying for everyone to go out and soak your phones in water. That wasn't my point at all. I was just showing off the capability of this phone as I did with my previous phone and I experienced no issues at all. That's what I'm advertising here. YMMV, but I have complete faith in this product or else I wouldn't have been so quick to do it.
    05-31-2017 09:42 AM
39 12