Change your navigation keys to stock Android

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Changed my navigation keys to stock Android :)

c4fbb7dd3546f0af3a23e8efe5cada7f.jpg

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/05/2...-keys-on-your-galaxy-s8-with-this-little-app/

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Why would I want to do that? I've been using Samsung phones for over 5 years and the placement of them is just fine. After all, the majority of Android phones, at least in the U.S., are Samsung phones so they are really the defacto standard.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Why would I want to do that? I've been using Samsung phones for over 5 years and the placement of them is just fine. After all, the majority of Android phones, at least in the U.S., are Samsung phones so they are really the defacto standard.
It is easier to use for one thing. Then stock Android is the defacto standard :)
For one handed use have the back button on the left side for right handed people is easier.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
It is easier to use for one thing. Then stock Android is the defacto standard :)
For one handed use have the back button on the left side for right handed people is easier.

Program the Bixby to be the back button. I have no issue with one handed back.

There's not a lot to like about stock Android. It's like a car with manual steering, manual brakes, manual windows and a stick shift. I buy Samsung phones because of the features in the software.

The defacto standard is the one most commonly in use, not necessarily the one set by an institution. VHS was the standard in video tapes while Beta was a better solution. DVDHD was better than BlueRay. Many examples that show the defacto standard isn't necessarily the one chosen to lead but was chosen by the public.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Program the Bixby to be the back button. I have no issue with one handed back.

There's not a lot to like about stock Android. It's like a car with manual steering, manual brakes, manual windows and a stick shift. I buy Samsung phones because of the features in the software.

The defacto standard is the one most commonly in use, not necessarily the one set by an institution. VHS was the standard in video tapes while Beta was a better solution. DVDHD was better than BlueRay. Many examples that show the defacto standard isn't necessarily the best.
Now you are mixing terms.....i use a Pixel XL and S8 + stock Android is the standard by which Samsung builds it's phones on. I never said stock one was better.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I was going to change order to match my V10, which used stock implementation. But I've found having the back button, which is commonly used, on the right side makes it easier for me to use ( I'm right handed and hold phone primarily with my right hand). I think the issue here is very overblown. It took me all of 1 day to get used to the new arrangement. I think this issue only really exists for phone reviewers as they are constantly using different devices. For those of us who buy and use one phone for a year or more this is a non-issue.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I was going to change order to match my V10, which used stock implementation. But I've found having the back button, which is commonly used, on the right side makes it easier for me to use ( I'm right handed and hold phone primarily with my right hand). I think the issue here is very overblown. It took me all of 1 day to get used to the new arrangement. I think this issue only really exists for phone reviewers as they are constantly using different devices. For those of us who buy and use one phone for a year or more this is a non-issue.
I think it is overblown too.. I just gave people the option to change the nav buttons if they wanted to look like the stock buttons. The beautiful thing about Android is we have choices and customization to fit everyone's needs and wants

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Your picture has an error on my side. I am just keeping things stock because I have no imagination and cannot figure out exactly what I want my phone gui to look like. Obviously it is your phone and you should set it up the way you want.

novice

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the minority: TouchWiz meets all my needs w/no lag problems. Battery is fantastico. Experimented w/misc launchers and pure vanilla w/out any real affection. No criticism of those who are more adventurous.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Now you are mixing terms.....i use a Pixel XL and S8 + stock Android is the standard by which Samsung builds it's phones on. I never said stock one was better.

Google is not in the business of selling phones. Well, they sell the Pixel, but it's more of a hobby for Google it's not a main product for them. Those that make a living at selling phones don't use stock Android. It doesn't sell well.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the minority: TouchWiz meets all my needs w/no lag problems. Battery is fantastico. Experimented w/misc launchers and pure vanilla w/out any real affection. No criticism of those who are more adventurous.

I believe you're in the majority. Samsung is the best selling Android phone in the U.S.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Google is not in the business of selling phones. Well, they sell the Pixel, but it's more of a hobby for Google it's not a main product for them. Those that make a living at selling phones don't use stock Android. It doesn't sell well.
Sorry but Google is in the business of selling phones. The Pixel is well regarded as one of the best Android phones you can buy.
The Pixel 2 due this fall is one of the most anticipated phones this fall along with the Note 8 and iphone 8.

Google does not make most of their profits from selling phones. But you can say the same about Samsung as well. Their main source of income is not selling phones either.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but Google is in the business of selling phones. The Pixel is well regarded as one of the best Android phones you can buy.
The Pixel 2 due this fall is one of the most anticipated phones this fall along with the Note 8 and iphone 8.

Google does not make most of their profits from selling phones. But you can say the same about Samsung as well. Their main source of income is not selling phones either.

If you read past my first sentence you would have seen that I acknowledged that Google sells phones. But, critics views aside, its market share is so low that Google falls into the "other" category when reading articles on market share. Vivo and Oppo sell more phones than Google. The Pixel not the public's pick. Samsung is.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
If you read past my first sentence you would have seen that I acknowledged that Google sells phones. But, critics views aside, its market share is so low that Google falls into the "other" category when reading articles on market share. Vivo and Oppo sell more phones than Google. The Pixel not the public's pick. Samsung is.

True..... Samsung sells more phones than Google. I have the S8+ and Pixel XL and iPhone 7+. My daily driver and the phone I use most is my S8+. But truth be told sales do not necessarily mean the best phone.
if that were the case then the "public's pick" as you said would be the iphone hands down.
Do you think the iphone is better than Samsung phones? See how that goes? Sales do not always mean the best product. Then I never said the Pixel was the public's pick......you mixed things up a bit there from what I said.
You said Google was not in the business of selling phones...that's not correct...they are in the business of selling phones. The Pixel is a prime example and they could not keep up with the demand.
Samsung sell more phones than any other Android OEM....but that is not their business either as they are a huge company with a very very diverse set of products and services they sell. They make more money from their other products than selling phones. Same as Google...they makes more money from their other services and products than selling phones.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Really prefer Samsungs keys. To each their own but I bought Samsung because I don't want plain Jane. Stock Android is alot like Apple to me. Not bad just plain.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Really prefer Samsungs keys. To each their own but I bought Samsung because I don't want plain Jane. Stock Android is alot like Apple to me. Not bad just plain.

One of the podcasts I listen to has hosts that are huge fans of Pixels because it runs "pure Android." Then, ironically, they often recommend apps that add features to the Pixel that come standard in Touchwiz. I think most of these folks tow the Google line and if it doesn't have the Google name on it then it's just bad.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
When I clicked on the article I was half expecting an ADB command. Pretty nice it's as simple as an app install. I will admit it is nice to have the option to change it to stock if the user wants.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX