Wireless charging issues?

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I have been using an old 3 coil charger powered by an anemic old Motorola charger, to wirelessly charge my old S7 edge, my newer LG G6 and now my S8. It worked on everything except the S8, where I got the "wireless charging paused" reports and it wouldn't charge. I switched to an Anker Fast charger with a thicker cable but still used the old 3 coil, 45 degree charger. So far that has seemed to work. No pause and went right up to 100%. There are lots of reports of problems with wireless charging with the S8. Hope this fixes it. ( I left the OEM Samsung charger and cable in the box to enhance re-sale, in case I decide to sell it.)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Even wireless chargers have specific requirements as to what the minimum INPUT power should be, so if you were using an underpowered adapter that might have been why the S8 'refused' to charge properly (remember, this phone's battery and charging mechanisms are way more protected than ever).

Also, keeping the charger and cable in the box will hardly enhance the re-sale value unless you never used the phone. Do yourself a favor and just keep the protective plastics if you want, but even that won't make a difference for most (then again... one born every minute, right?).

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I have been using an old 3 coil charger powered by an anemic old Motorola charger, to wirelessly charge my old S7 edge, my newer LG G6 and now my S8. It worked on everything except the S8, where I got the "wireless charging paused" reports and it wouldn't charge. I switched to an Anker Fast charger with a thicker cable but still used the old 3 coil, 45 degree charger. So far that has seemed to work. No pause and went right up to 100%. There are lots of reports of problems with wireless charging with the S8. Hope this fixes it. ( I left the OEM Samsung charger and cable in the box to enhance re-sale, in case I decide to sell it.)
Same style charger and same devices as you with the exact same results. If I lay the S8 sideways it works, vertically not so much. I'm going to change the plug and see if that fixes it.

Last edited:

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Update by OP: After a few cycles, everything is still working perfectly. The beefier charger by Anker and the thicker cable made it work.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Well my wireless charging stopped working last night. Noticed the battery was getting lower and lower even though it was on the charger. It's the Samsung 2016 fast wireless charger. I tested it on 3 chargers and nothing worked. Looks like I'll have to get this replaced.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Well my wireless charging stopped working last night. Noticed the battery was getting lower and lower even though it was on the charger. It's the Samsung 2016 fast wireless charger. I tested it on 3 chargers and nothing worked. Looks like I'll have to get this replaced.

Try a reboot first, if not, clear all cached data on Settings-Storage, and then do a wipe cache partition in recovery Mode. Most of the time I've read of wireless charger issues is more software related than hardware, believe it or not.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Try a reboot first, if not, clear all cached data on Settings-Storage, and then do a wipe cache partition in recovery Mode. Most of the time I've read of wireless charger issues is more software related than hardware, believe it or not.
Did all that last night.