05-05-2018 10:50 AM
50 12
tools
    I wouldn't even bother getting an otter box mine fell from my bed that's not very high to my wood floor and the corner still shattered save your money don't bother with the s8+ I got the phone a week ago and the insurance wants a 200 buck deductible just to fix it I'm beyond livid at this point.
    07-08-2017 03:03 PM
    I wouldn't even bother getting an otter box mine fell from my bed that's not very high to my wood floor and the corner still shattered save your money don't bother with the s8+ I got the phone a week ago and the insurance wants a 200 buck deductible just to fix it I'm beyond livid at this point.
    Did you have a case on it at all? I'm thinking an Otterbox would have saved this...
    07-09-2017 08:38 AM
    The glass body of the S8/S8+ is insane. Particularly as most use a case that obscures style.

But, all that being true, I'm addicted to the curved screen.
    07-09-2017 01:03 PM
    the s7 active series was a joke they had so many issues especially with launch.. should've been on a recall. these phones are expensive which is why you should invest in great protection
    07-09-2017 05:36 PM
    this makes me nervous.... I have the S6 and was contemplating upgrading to the S8. I keep my phones in a case but I have dropped my S6 multiple times and no damage.
    07-09-2017 06:01 PM
    Yup the otter box was on it at the time I'm so upset it took me forever and lots of hours at work to even get a phone now I'm stuck with a broke phone and no way to replace it
    07-15-2017 04:42 PM
    Yup the otter box was on it at the time I'm so upset it took me forever and lots of hours at work to even get a phone now I'm stuck with a broke phone and no way to replace it
    Contact Otterbox.
    07-15-2017 07:29 PM
    Otterbox, wouldn't do anything besides offer to replace the case if it's damaged.
    They don't offer any guarantee on devices
    Miss Missy 666 likes this.
    07-15-2017 07:31 PM
    No company offers a device replacement warranty except for LifeProof (TWPP only available at VZW stores). Contacting Otterbox will only get you a new case.
    07-15-2017 07:35 PM
    Bah. That stinks.
    07-15-2017 09:40 PM
    I always go phones with a military grade spec, the V20 and G6 has been drop tested and certified military grade

Had a huge laugh at this. The "military grade spec" testing it had done was 810g which in plain english means "its pretty damn water tight.. and won't shake apart from the inside out". It has one drop test which is "Device withstands being dropped ten times from height of 122cm (4 feet)." Not a big thing to ask for these days and falls in line with the s8 surviving atleast the first test in youtube drop test. (second is usually 6 feet).
    07-16-2017 08:23 AM
    I wouldn't even bother getting an otter box mine fell from my bed that's not very high to my wood floor and the corner still shattered
    Which otterbox? Defender and commuter are their heavy hitters... any of the others are more for eye candy and slimness and you sacrifice alot of protection with them.
    07-16-2017 08:27 AM
    The only drop I see a naked s8 surviving is onto a carpet. Any hard surface would make for a risky drop and damaging that glass.
    07-17-2017 08:27 AM
    I dropped mine once before I got a case on my floor in my living room. It has pergo fake wood flooring. Only dropped from about 1 foot. I dropped my S7 Edge on the pavement getting out of my car. It bounced on the pavement and I thought for sure I smashed the screen. All it did was scratched the FPS a little bit.

These are definitely very fragile devices. I got lucky both times.
    07-17-2017 08:59 AM
    Anyone expecting an all glass device to not be crack prone when dropped past one foot on a hard or sharp surface, might be expecting too much. The design has nowhere to displace energy but to the glass, which is the weakest point. The last device to absorb falls well is the Note 4, since the removable cover absorbed most of the energy and is not glass.

Also, anybody that drops an all glass device without a case and surprised it cracks is the same as expecting unicorn riding cowboys.
    07-17-2017 09:06 AM
    Heh. I dropped my PRIV a lot and twice smashed the screen. There were no otterbox or uag cases for it, cuz it was a PRIV and didn't attract those companies due to low volume of sales (I knew that going in). So getting an all glass s8 was like me tempting fate. At least now I have a slew of solid cases to use that protect it. Mine will never be naked outside of when I'm changing cases.
    tube517 likes this.
    07-17-2017 01:32 PM
    Heh. I dropped my PRIV a lot and twice smashed the screen. There were no otterbox or uag cases for it, cuz it was a PRIV and didn't attract those companies due to low volume of sales (I knew that going in). So getting an all glass s8 was like me tempting fate. At least now I have a slew of solid cases to use that protect it. Mine will never be naked outside of when I'm changing cases.
    Ditto.

I even bought a case at the mall (I don't usually buy cases at the mall. overpriced) for temporary use, until my Supcase Unicorn Beetle Pro came in. I just could not go a few days without any protection on this very expensive phone
    shabbs likes this.
    07-17-2017 01:50 PM
    Ever since I broke the display on my S7 Edge that had a Spigen tough armor case on it, I've used Otterbox Comutter cases. I have a Note 5, S7 Edge and my S8+ all in Otterbox now. All of these phones have fallen off my bed so many times and every time, I have never worried about whatever phone it was, breaking. All of them have been protected.

ON June 2nd, I was in an accident and had my Note 5 in the car and my S7 Edge in my pocket. I got rear ended and the Note 5 went flying around in the car. The phone was perfect in every way as I picked it up from the floor of the car.

I will never ever have a phone without an Otterbox case on it again.
    07-18-2017 01:17 AM
    If you don't protect the screen chances are it will break when dropped. Why take those chances?
    tube517 likes this.
    07-18-2017 05:47 AM
    I just noticed a small CHIP on my screen in the middle. Do you think it will spread? like a windshield? I mean it is glass? Someone please shed some light and say it won't. I can live with a tiny chip but if it starts to spread, ima be PISSED!
    07-19-2017 01:46 PM
    Yep. Seems like the amoled screens can't survive cracks. I dropped my s7 a few months ago and had a small crack on the edge of the screen. The whole thing just went crazy. Flickering, random screen touches until it finally turned green lol
    Amoled is the panel not the outer glass
    07-19-2017 06:21 PM
    Anyone expecting an all glass device to not be crack prone when dropped past one foot on a hard or sharp surface, might be expecting too much. The design has nowhere to displace energy but to the glass, which is the weakest point. The last device to absorb falls well is the Note 4, since the removable cover absorbed most of the energy and is not glass.

Also, anybody that drops an all glass device without a case and surprised it cracks is the same as expecting unicorn riding cowboys.
    Are you saying unicorn riding cowboys aren't real?
    tube517 likes this.
    07-19-2017 06:23 PM
    Amoled is the panel not the outer glass
    Yeah I was talking about the panel. Seems like the glass and panel layer is pretty thin. One crack at the right spot and the panel is dead
    07-19-2017 07:10 PM
    the screen of my first s8+ broke as well even with the rhinoshield crashguard bumper from a 3 ft fall lol
    07-19-2017 07:43 PM
    My phone is an s8 and has an oterbox and it just cracked on the side.... I dont even know how it happened
    05-05-2018 10:50 AM
50 12