Back on the iPhone 7 Plus until Samsung releases a Bluetooth fix

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I have enjoyed many things abouty S8+ so far, but one issue has been plaguing me and many others since day one - Bluetooth connectivity. I am often facing disconnects with my Gear S3, something that was never an issue on multiple S7 Edge devices or my Note devices. Also, the S8+ almost never automatically reconnects to my vehicle Bluetooth for music steaming, further contributing to an unnecessary annoyance. This too was not an issue before. As it stands right now I am just too tired of having to babysit Bluetooth and am therefore moving back to my iPhone 7 Plus. The S8+ is being relegated to an at-home entertainment device, browsing, media and such. Once Samsung decides to actually release an update in Canada I will move back to the S8+.

Anyone else considering switching to a different device until Samsung addresses some of the core issues with the S8 series, like Bluetooth? What are your thoughts on the Samsung update process? We already know the Bluetooth fix for example rolled out in one region, but one region only. Chime in below.

Please keep the discussion civil. This post isn't meant to inflame a Samsung vs. Apple war. I have, and use, both devices.

coolioe93

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
I had to switch back to my 7 Plus because of iMessage. Getting my friends/family to download another app for photos/video transfer is very very difficult.

If apple ever releases iMessage for android then I'll pick up the s8 again because it's my favorite phone ever

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I had to switch back to my 7 Plus because of iMessage. Getting my friends/family to download another app for photos/video transfer is very very difficult.

If apple ever releases iMessage for android then I'll pick up the s8 again because it's my favorite phone ever
Are you just missing Imessage on your computer? Or are you missing some some of the Imessage "fun" features while texting & MMS?
I had missed texting on my Mac but now use Yappy on the Mac. Get all my texts there and also on my Android wifi tablet. On my S8+ I'm using Textra and it all syncs up.

OP- should it be Samsung or your carrier that provides a BT fix? I'm on AT&T and personally I haven't experienced the BT issues that you described (car is A-OK, Gear S2 fine as well).

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
It's Samsung's responsibility to resolve the BT issue. Their hardware and choice of BT chip to use with OS. If they find it's an issue with Android and require a patch on their end then they need to work with them.

Why would the carrier provide the fix? They have nothing to do with the OS or the hardware. The only thing they do iwhen Samsung gives them OS updates, the carrier goes through some testing... probably to make sure it doesn't break their bloatware and releases it.

coolioe93

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
Are you just missing Imessage on your computer? Or are you missing some some of the Imessage "fun" features while texting & MMS?
I had missed texting on my Mac but now use Yappy on the Mac. Get all my texts there and also on my Android wifi tablet. On my S8+ I'm using Textra and it all syncs up.

OP- should it be Samsung or your carrier that provides a BT fix? I'm on AT&T and personally I haven't experienced the BT issues that you described (car is A-OK, Gear S2 fine as well).

I was missing both texting on my computer and my family group messages.

For the first, I tried the join app and also mighty text but both implementations were clunky compared to iMessage on mac. I could probably have lived without this if my second problem was fixable.

On established iMessage groups, even when I turned off iMessage I still wouldn't get messages from the group on my s8. Also the ability to just send a picture or video without it being compressed was something I missed a lot. I tried switching my family over to WhatsApp or Facebook messenger but getting my non techie parents to really understand how to use a new app isn't easy lol. So I ended up going back to my iPhone

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

For the first, I tried the join app and also mighty text but both implementations were clunky compared to iMessage on mac. I could probably have lived without this if my second problem was fixable.

On established iMessage groups, even when I turned off iMessage I still wouldn't get messages from the group on my s8. Also the ability to just send a picture or video without it being compressed was something I missed a lot. I tried switching my family over to WhatsApp or Facebook messenger but getting my non techie parents to really understand how to use a new app isn't easy lol. So I ended up going back to my iPhone
Yes, there is no way I could ever get family members to switch or learn another app. That's why I had to adapt. I'm OK without imessage but somewhat miss FaceTime on the phone. Still have it on computers.

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
It's Samsung's responsibility to resolve the BT issue. Their hardware and choice of BT chip to use with OS. If they find it's an issue with Android and require a patch on their end then they need to work with them.

Why would the carrier provide the fix? They have nothing to do with the OS or the hardware. The only thing they do iwhen Samsung gives them OS updates, the carrier goes through some testing... probably to make sure it doesn't break their bloatware and releases it.
I agree it's Samsungs responsibility to fix BT "IF" it is due to their software for sure. The carriers bloatware Can conflict with Samsung software (and Android OS) as well as User's downloaded/installed apps or maybe even Samsung hardware could be at fault too.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree it's Samsungs responsibility to fix BT "IF" it is due to their software for sure. The carriers bloatware Can conflict with Samsung software (and Android OS) as well as User's downloaded/installed apps or maybe even Samsung hardware could be at fault too.

This is purely a Samsung issue. I have a carrier free unlocked device, and no amount of factory resets helps. Apps have no bearing on it. Samsung has already "acknowledged" the problem by releasing at least one update with Bluetooth fixes, but so far the update only got rolled out in UAE or India or something. Nowhere else. This is one of the biggest things that irks me about Samsung and Android in general. When Apple releases an update it is to all, at the same time.

GRUNT11B

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I have enjoyed many things abouty S8+ so far, but one issue has been plaguing me and many others since day one - Bluetooth connectivity. I am often facing disconnects with my Gear S3, something that was never an issue on multiple S7 Edge devices or my Note devices. Also, the S8+ almost never automatically reconnects to my vehicle Bluetooth for music steaming, further contributing to an unnecessary annoyance. This too was not an issue before. As it stands right now I am just too tired of having to babysit Bluetooth and am therefore moving back to my iPhone 7 Plus. The S8+ is being relegated to an at-home entertainment device, browsing, media and such. Once Samsung decides to actually release an update in Canada I will move back to the S8+.

Anyone else considering switching to a different device until Samsung addresses some of the core issues with the S8 series, like Bluetooth? What are your thoughts on the Samsung update process? We already know the Bluetooth fix for example rolled out in one region, but one region only. Chime in below.

Please keep the discussion civil. This post isn't meant to inflame a Samsung vs. Apple war. I have, and use, both devices.

I would just get it replaced. I have 2 S8+ and a S8 in the household and no Bluetooth issues at all. Never loses connection and automatically connects to car just fine.

DarkSorrow

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I gave no issues with my Bluetooth either. It connects to my car audio everytime I turn the car on. In the bedroom I use a Bose SoundLink III as well with no problems.

DarkSorrow

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
In car right now and it's working.
d53e0fc48f11e0bba83d27eb987fbda3.jpg
5ca48dbacd11a3133c0d8b1e0c16cbd4.jpg

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

Have you tried sending a link instead of the photo or video itself?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Quick note, I'm not looking for assistance. I know what the problem is and nothing except a Samsung update will fix it. I also didn't post this for the "it works in my car" posts. I also never said that my Bluetooth doesn't work. It works, but it doesn't work as good as it should.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Quick note, I'm not looking for assistance. I know what the problem is and nothing except a Samsung update will fix it. I also didn't post this for the "it works in my car" posts. I also never said that my Bluetooth doesn't work. It works, but it doesn't work as good as it should.
That's fine.. but people are going to comment to help or discuss the issue. If you didn't want anyone to comment a blog may be better suited for you but on a forum people are welcome to discuss​ the issue freely or even try to help if they want.

James Rogers2

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I had mine since release and it was working fine but now it won't connect to my car without unparing it and pairing it every time I turn off and turn on the car.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
That's fine.. but people are going to comment to help or discuss the issue. If you didn't want anyone to comment a blog may be better suited for you but on a forum people are welcome to discuss​ the issue freely or even try to help if they want.
For sure. Just letting people know that they don't need to waste their time with potential solutions ;)

That aside, it is also good practice to read what was posted. My questions/comments were clearly targeting a different type of discussion, centured more around other types of issues people feel Samsung should promptly address and the overall state of Android updates, or in this case Samsung's approach to updates.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
It's odd that so many users, including me, haven't had any BT issues at all and the OP is convinced that Samsung has released a faulty product.

I use a Jabra Steel, S3 Frontier and RAM 1500 w/ BT every day without any issues.

James Rogers2

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
My connection issues seemed to happen after I paired it to my gear fit 2. I took the SIM out and started using my Note 5 for a short time. When I put it back in my S8+ again it stared working again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1