07-14-2018 07:21 AM
102 123 ...
tools
    I have enjoyed many things abouty S8+ so far, but one issue has been plaguing me and many others since day one - Bluetooth connectivity. I am often facing disconnects with my Gear S3, something that was never an issue on multiple S7 Edge devices or my Note devices. Also, the S8+ almost never automatically reconnects to my vehicle Bluetooth for music steaming, further contributing to an unnecessary annoyance. This too was not an issue before. As it stands right now I am just too tired of having to babysit Bluetooth and am therefore moving back to my iPhone 7 Plus. The S8+ is being relegated to an at-home entertainment device, browsing, media and such. Once Samsung decides to actually release an update in Canada I will move back to the S8+.

Anyone else considering switching to a different device until Samsung addresses some of the core issues with the S8 series, like Bluetooth? What are your thoughts on the Samsung update process? We already know the Bluetooth fix for example rolled out in one region, but one region only. Chime in below.

Please keep the discussion civil. This post isn't meant to inflame a Samsung vs. Apple war. I have, and use, both devices.
    krupp1968 likes this.
    05-28-2017 10:33 AM
    05-28-2017 10:49 AM
    I had to switch back to my 7 Plus because of iMessage. Getting my friends/family to download another app for photos/video transfer is very very difficult.

If apple ever releases iMessage for android then I'll pick up the s8 again because it's my favorite phone ever
    05-28-2017 10:52 AM
    I had to switch back to my 7 Plus because of iMessage. Getting my friends/family to download another app for photos/video transfer is very very difficult.

If apple ever releases iMessage for android then I'll pick up the s8 again because it's my favorite phone ever
    Are you just missing Imessage on your computer? Or are you missing some some of the Imessage "fun" features while texting & MMS?
    I had missed texting on my Mac but now use Yappy on the Mac. Get all my texts there and also on my Android wifi tablet. On my S8+ I'm using Textra and it all syncs up.

OP- should it be Samsung or your carrier that provides a BT fix? I'm on AT&T and personally I haven't experienced the BT issues that you described (car is A-OK, Gear S2 fine as well).
    11B1P, H3aTeRzz and kevinpleasants like this.
    05-28-2017 11:00 AM
    It's Samsung's responsibility to resolve the BT issue. Their hardware and choice of BT chip to use with OS. If they find it's an issue with Android and require a patch on their end then they need to work with them.

Why would the carrier provide the fix? They have nothing to do with the OS or the hardware. The only thing they do iwhen Samsung gives them OS updates, the carrier goes through some testing... probably to make sure it doesn't break their bloatware and releases it.
    Qc_Anubis and burrzoo like this.
    05-28-2017 11:09 AM
    Are you just missing Imessage on your computer? Or are you missing some some of the Imessage "fun" features while texting & MMS?
    I had missed texting on my Mac but now use Yappy on the Mac. Get all my texts there and also on my Android wifi tablet. On my S8+ I'm using Textra and it all syncs up.

OP- should it be Samsung or your carrier that provides a BT fix? I'm on AT&T and personally I haven't experienced the BT issues that you described (car is A-OK, Gear S2 fine as well).
    I was missing both texting on my computer and my family group messages.

For the first, I tried the join app and also mighty text but both implementations were clunky compared to iMessage on mac. I could probably have lived without this if my second problem was fixable.

On established iMessage groups, even when I turned off iMessage I still wouldn't get messages from the group on my s8. Also the ability to just send a picture or video without it being compressed was something I missed a lot. I tried switching my family over to WhatsApp or Facebook messenger but getting my non techie parents to really understand how to use a new app isn't easy lol. So I ended up going back to my iPhone
    burrzoo and nj1266 like this.
    05-28-2017 11:20 AM

For the first, I tried the join app and also mighty text but both implementations were clunky compared to iMessage on mac. I could probably have lived without this if my second problem was fixable.

On established iMessage groups, even when I turned off iMessage I still wouldn't get messages from the group on my s8. Also the ability to just send a picture or video without it being compressed was something I missed a lot. I tried switching my family over to WhatsApp or Facebook messenger but getting my non techie parents to really understand how to use a new app isn't easy lol. So I ended up going back to my iPhone
    Yes, there is no way I could ever get family members to switch or learn another app. That's why I had to adapt. I'm OK without imessage but somewhat miss FaceTime on the phone. Still have it on computers.
    05-28-2017 12:10 PM
    It's Samsung's responsibility to resolve the BT issue. Their hardware and choice of BT chip to use with OS. If they find it's an issue with Android and require a patch on their end then they need to work with them.

Why would the carrier provide the fix? They have nothing to do with the OS or the hardware. The only thing they do iwhen Samsung gives them OS updates, the carrier goes through some testing... probably to make sure it doesn't break their bloatware and releases it.
    I agree it's Samsungs responsibility to fix BT "IF" it is due to their software for sure. The carriers bloatware Can conflict with Samsung software (and Android OS) as well as User's downloaded/installed apps or maybe even Samsung hardware could be at fault too.
    05-28-2017 12:13 PM
    I agree it's Samsungs responsibility to fix BT "IF" it is due to their software for sure. The carriers bloatware Can conflict with Samsung software (and Android OS) as well as User's downloaded/installed apps or maybe even Samsung hardware could be at fault too.
    This is purely a Samsung issue. I have a carrier free unlocked device, and no amount of factory resets helps. Apps have no bearing on it. Samsung has already "acknowledged" the problem by releasing at least one update with Bluetooth fixes, but so far the update only got rolled out in UAE or India or something. Nowhere else. This is one of the biggest things that irks me about Samsung and Android in general. When Apple releases an update it is to all, at the same time.
    05-28-2017 12:55 PM
    I have enjoyed many things abouty S8+ so far, but one issue has been plaguing me and many others since day one - Bluetooth connectivity. I am often facing disconnects with my Gear S3, something that was never an issue on multiple S7 Edge devices or my Note devices. Also, the S8+ almost never automatically reconnects to my vehicle Bluetooth for music steaming, further contributing to an unnecessary annoyance. This too was not an issue before. As it stands right now I am just too tired of having to babysit Bluetooth and am therefore moving back to my iPhone 7 Plus. The S8+ is being relegated to an at-home entertainment device, browsing, media and such. Once Samsung decides to actually release an update in Canada I will move back to the S8+.

Anyone else considering switching to a different device until Samsung addresses some of the core issues with the S8 series, like Bluetooth? What are your thoughts on the Samsung update process? We already know the Bluetooth fix for example rolled out in one region, but one region only. Chime in below.

Please keep the discussion civil. This post isn't meant to inflame a Samsung vs. Apple war. I have, and use, both devices.
    I would just get it replaced. I have 2 S8+ and a S8 in the household and no Bluetooth issues at all. Never loses connection and automatically connects to car just fine.
    05-28-2017 01:18 PM
    I gave no issues with my Bluetooth either. It connects to my car audio everytime I turn the car on. In the bedroom I use a Bose SoundLink III as well with no problems.
    kevinpleasants and 11B1P like this.
    05-28-2017 01:57 PM
    Sorry you're having issues. I use Bluetooth at work and in my truck daily without issue.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    05-28-2017 03:01 PM
    In car right now and it's working.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    05-28-2017 03:25 PM

Have you tried sending a link instead of the photo or video itself?
    05-28-2017 04:21 PM
    Quick note, I'm not looking for assistance. I know what the problem is and nothing except a Samsung update will fix it. I also didn't post this for the "it works in my car" posts. I also never said that my Bluetooth doesn't work. It works, but it doesn't work as good as it should.
    05-28-2017 04:26 PM
    Quick note, I'm not looking for assistance. I know what the problem is and nothing except a Samsung update will fix it. I also didn't post this for the "it works in my car" posts. I also never said that my Bluetooth doesn't work. It works, but it doesn't work as good as it should.
    That's fine.. but people are going to comment to help or discuss the issue. If you didn't want anyone to comment a blog may be better suited for you but on a forum people are welcome to discuss​ the issue freely or even try to help if they want.
    Aquila, burrzoo, JohnMcL7 and 8 others like this.
    05-28-2017 04:31 PM
    I had mine since release and it was working fine but now it won't connect to my car without unparing it and pairing it every time I turn off and turn on the car.
    JHStewart1023 likes this.
    05-28-2017 05:12 PM
    That's fine.. but people are going to comment to help or discuss the issue. If you didn't want anyone to comment a blog may be better suited for you but on a forum people are welcome to discuss​ the issue freely or even try to help if they want.
    For sure. Just letting people know that they don't need to waste their time with potential solutions

That aside, it is also good practice to read what was posted. My questions/comments were clearly targeting a different type of discussion, centured more around other types of issues people feel Samsung should promptly address and the overall state of Android updates, or in this case Samsung's approach to updates.
    05-28-2017 06:24 PM
    It's odd that so many users, including me, haven't had any BT issues at all and the OP is convinced that Samsung has released a faulty product.

I use a Jabra Steel, S3 Frontier and RAM 1500 w/ BT every day without any issues.
    burrzoo likes this.
    05-28-2017 06:36 PM
    My connection issues seemed to happen after I paired it to my gear fit 2. I took the SIM out and started using my Note 5 for a short time. When I put it back in my S8+ again it stared working again.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-28-2017 07:55 PM
    It's odd that so many users, including me, haven't had any BT issues at all and the OP is convinced that Samsung has released a faulty product.

I use a Jabra Steel, S3 Frontier and RAM 1500 w/ BT every day without any issues.
    I am convnced because I go through about 6-12 flagship phones per year and the S8 Plus is the only one that has these issues. I am convinced because I know of others that also have the exact same kinds of issues. I am also finally convinced because Samsung itself has released an update (ref https://www.sammobile.com/2017/05/24...ectivity-bugs/) to address Bluetooth connectivity issues, but, as insinuated in my OP, Samsung is being typical Samsung and cannot deliver the said update to all in a timely manner. Is that enough evidence or do you still think it's all smoke?

My connection issues seemed to happen after I paired it to my gear fit 2. I took the SIM out and started using my Note 5 for a short time. When I put it back in my S8+ again it stared working again.
    I do believe that it has something to do with being connected to multiple devices or some such thing. The connection to my vehicle is a lot more reliable when my Gear S3 is not in the equation. However, leaving my Gear S3 at home and not using it only to somewhat improve my vehicle connection is not going to cut it.
    05-28-2017 07:58 PM
    I got a gear fit 2 paired with my S8 plus pretty much all day. Never disconnects. In fact I'm kinda impressed with it's range before it drops. Has anyone figured out some sort of correlation with these Bluetooth bugs? Certain carrier models etc? I have a T-Mobile S8 Plus ( orchid grey) and I have not experienced a single issue with Bluetooth. I frequently have gear fit 2 paired, along with Bluetooth headphones, while using GPS to track my hikes. Everything works flawlessly.
    11B1P likes this.
    05-28-2017 08:19 PM
    I'm on AT&T, and I have the S3 Frontier. No issues with Bluetooth ever.
    jjinal and kevinpleasants like this.
    05-28-2017 08:59 PM
    I have my s8 talking to 2 speakers, a car, a moto 360 smart watch, 2 controllers, a BT controlled lamp bulb, and a BT audio receiver with no issues.
    05-28-2017 09:30 PM
    Please don't take offense, but your status as the OP has no bearing on the responses that the thread will accumulate. So long as everyone posts in a respectful manner, they're free to respond in any way they choose to.

If you think of any random conversation you might have on this topic in person, "yeah, I went back to my old phone because the new one was having BT issues" might get a reply such as, "oh, weird I have the same phone and haven't had issues". Whether or not you're seeking that response, it's a perfectly natural response and it's also totally normal for people to try to help when they discover a peer has a problem.

Sorry to hear you were having issues, but if you're not looking for assistance or for people to discuss the issues, then I'm unclear on why this thread exists. I also did read the part where you were looking for details of other potential dealbreaker issues for people, but took that as a normal click-bait-esque "sound off in the comments below" sort of thing, not the actual topic you wanted to discuss. If that's the actual topic, would you like your topic title changed to reflect that?
    05-28-2017 10:41 PM
102 123 ...