Gear VR broke my S8+

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Bummer, that sucks. I haven't even unboxed mine, due partly to less than stellar experience with S7e and VR.

Yeah, I used my pointer finger between the camera and fps to press it in, and instant crack. I may call Samsung to see if they'll replace it.

Idelgado782

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
That really sucks. I got mines in earlier this week and tried it that day but haven't messed with it since. Now I know to be super careful

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I used my pointer finger between the camera and fps to press it in, and instant crack. I may call Samsung to see if they'll replace it.

Something doesn't sound right. Not faulting you of course. I've been using it for awhile and so has my son. Both s8+. No cracks. Must've been a design flaw. I worry more about breaking it taking it in and out of the case. Much more pressure than placing it into the VR headset.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
MY OL had one with her S7E
She just got hers in.
She has been careful, she got her phone in and we did the downloads and everything.
She is having problems with the Focus on the VR viewer. She says everything is blurred.
And she can't get it focused.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I used my pointer finger between the camera and fps to press it in, and instant crack.
Odd. For me, the Gear VR doesn't apply pressure to the S8+. Is it possible that the Gear VR's connector wasn't properly inserted into the S8+'s Type C port?

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I've installed my phone into gear VR many times so far. In honestly not sure how it would be possible to crack. Are you certain the connector was on straight and flush with phone? The amount of pressure applied to lock phone into place should be minimal at best. Always start with connector facing out ( probably 45 degree angle I think it's at) and insert phone fully into that. Make sure the opposing connector near top of phone is pulled all the way outward. Gently swing phone into position. I normally press on both top corners of the phone while swinging it in to apply even pressure but as I said, pressure I use to apply is minimal at best. Goes in rather effortlessly for me. Double check all the connections on the gear VR. I'd bet something on there doesn't align right

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised this happend on the plus, since it is pretty snug and the spring loaded clasp doesn't travel far. On the regular s8 there is a pretty good snap as it travels farther for the smaller s8, and I could see the lack of padding on the plastic grip leading to a possible shatter point.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Gonna have to call out user error on this one...the Gear VR didn't break your S8+ ... you did. Can't fault a product for your mistake.
Maybe, but you can't simply blame him for trying to use a product normally.

It's not like he tried to force it in. He just tried to put it inside the headset in the usual way. Perhaps it's bad luck.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I would file this in the **** happens bin. My phone somehow twisted in my pocket and was pushing my pocket out. It got between my car door and car and the door shut on it and that didn't even crack this phone.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I have not tried it with my S8 Plus. Just don't want to put my $830 phone in it without a case. I also use the Otterbox Defender which taking it in and out of the case a lot weakens the case.

For this reason I have kept my S7 Edge and used it in it a few times. It's okay but nothing spectacular. I don't see myself using it and most of the good stuff you have to pay to download.

I'd much rather have gotten the DeX or some other accessories to go along with my S8 than the VR rebate.

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
You're afraid to play VR because you don't want to take your phone out of the case? Really? Lol.

I keep all my phones completely naked lol. It'll be fine.