Gear VR broke my S8+

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
wow, anyone who handles the S8 or S8plus without a case is a brave soul. I take mine out of the case at home just to admire how beautiful it is, and when I do happen to pick it up, it's like trying to hold on to partially melted ice. I thought I was being risky without a screen protector...and now I'll be super careful when I finally get my VR.

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
I don't like the way the securing clamp (the one without the plug) snaps into place. I try to ease it down, but sometimes it snaps down and it seems like it may give it a crack or scratch one day. So far I haven't had any trouble though.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I only use VR in the house. Yeah, I gotta take my thin case off. But I'm always over carpet. Even if it somehow dropped, it would be fine. To be honest though, the gear VR seems to hold the phone pretty securely. I'm not worried about it.

Pamela Curry

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
wow, anyone who handles the S8 or S8plus without a case is a brave soul. I take mine out of the case at home just to admire how beautiful it is, and when I do happen to pick it up, it's like trying to hold on to partially melted ice. I thought I was being risky without a screen protector...and now I'll be super careful when I finally get my VR.
I order to use it with Gear VR you MUST remove it from case. The Gear VR is not case friendly.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I used my pointer finger between the camera and fps to press it in, and instant crack. I may call Samsung to see if they'll replace it.

Doesn't sound right. Did it take a lot of pressure inserting it in?
Good luck with Samsung owning up to the problem. They might want to inspect the VR unit along with the phone.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
One of the reasons I had not used my VR Gear yet is because you have to remove the phone from the case. Now that I am using a Seidio case (easier to remove) I will likely try the VR Gear. Glad I have carpet :)

Cheers,
BR

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
Doesn't sound right. Did it take a lot of pressure inserting it in?
Good luck with Samsung owning up to the problem. They might want to inspect the VR unit along with the phone.

Samsung would never own up to this problem because there is no problem. Dude didn't have it in all the way or connected properly, tried to force it in, and cracked it. Simple as that. I fail to see how this is even remotely Samsung's problem.

Be careful with your expensive toys, kids...

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Samsung would never own up to this problem because there is no problem. Dude didn't have it in all the way or connected properly, tried to force it in, and cracked it. Simple as that. I fail to see how this is even remotely Samsung's problem.

Be careful with your expensive toys, kids...

Wasn't user error. And Samsung did own up to it. It's off for free repair right now. No need to be condescending as you have been in this thread.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
Wasn't user error. And Samsung did own up to it. It's off for free repair right now. No need to be condescending as you have been in this thread.

If this was an actual Samsung problem, more people who use the VR would be experiencing this. You're the only one I've seen. I have zero issue using mine. Connects smooth like silk. No unwanted pressure or restriction while connecting the phone. I maintain my view of this being user error. You got lucky Samsung even entertained you with this situation.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
If this was an actual Samsung problem, more people who use the VR would be experiencing this. You're the only one I've seen. I have zero issue using mine. Connects smooth like silk. No unwanted pressure or restriction while connecting the phone. I maintain my view of this being user error. You got lucky Samsung even entertained you with this situation.
I doubt most people push the top in between the camera and FPS. The majority that I see use the top edges to snap it in. If what the Samsung rep told him is correct then that's far from user error.

I don't know about you but I'm unwilling to try it multiple times with varying pressure to find out.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
"Entertained" me? Samsung is known for their horrible customer service. Your anecdotal evidence is no better than mine.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Glass breaks. IMO, aesthetics over functionality design fail. Like my 8+ lots, but not the all glass build. I use my S7 100% for Gear and the 8+ as my main phone. 8+ gets a lot less hot though, but I have a fan on the S7 for that.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Glass breaks. IMO, aesthetics over functionality design fail. Like my 8+ lots, but not a the all glass build. I use my S7 100% for Gear and the 8+ as my main phone. 8+ gets a lot less hot though, but I have a fan on the S7 for that.

Same here! I still got my S7 Edge for that very reason. I would have LOVED if the S8 was built like the Note 4. I don't care about a glass back and that because I put my in thick cases. The V20 is another phone built like a tank minus the camera glass issue.