I know I've read one or two threads here of people complaining about the volume keys and that it defaults to adjust ringtone volume instead of media, so it seems that Samsung heard those complaints because they released an app that does just that and some other things.

Take a look at it and see if you like it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...soundassistant
    05-29-2017 08:14 AM
    I like the 150 steps of volume. I wish there was a way to make there be more steps when just using the volume buttons though. Maybe just double the number of steps for the media volume with headphones.
    05-29-2017 08:42 AM
    Thanks for the link.
    05-29-2017 09:56 AM
    Okay, this is awesome!

Downloads immediately...
    05-29-2017 10:07 AM
    I know I've read one or two threads here is people complaining about the volume keys and that it defaults to adjust ringtone volume instead of media, so it seems that Samsung heard those complaints because they released an app that does just that and some other things.

Take a look at it and see if you like it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...soundassistant
    If you are looking to just change the volume keys to adjust media instead of ringtone, that is already available in the:

Settings->Sounds and vibration->Default volume key control

Just change that to Media and you will be good.
    05-29-2017 10:32 AM
    very handy,I like this
    05-29-2017 10:44 AM
    If you are looking to just change the volume keys to adjust media instead of ringtone, that is already available in the:

Well, would you look at that...didn't even realize that setting was there. Thanks!
    05-29-2017 10:48 AM
    This is a great app! One thing I like is that it lets you set separate volumes for different apps. That solves a problem I've had because in my car I play both Google Music and Google Maps through Bluetooth. Before this new app, Google Maps was always too loud (even on the softest setting), so I would usually turn off voice guidance. This fixes that.
    05-29-2017 08:16 PM
    This is a great app! One thing I like is that it lets you set separate volumes for different apps. That solves a problem I've had because in my car I play both Google Music and Google Maps through Bluetooth. Before this new app, Google Maps was always too loud (even on the softest setting), so I would usually turn off voice guidance. This fixes that.
    Yes! I've been waiting on something like this!
    05-29-2017 08:31 PM
    I actually have opposite problem. Maps guidance is way too quiet compared to music. While driving I'll have music set to comfortable level, but maps guidance will be too hard to hear when it comes up. Might try this app
    05-29-2017 08:59 PM
    I set it to vibrate during work hours and it doesn't work. I got a call and it rang.
    05-30-2017 11:05 AM
    I set it to vibrate during work hours and it doesn't work. I got a call and it rang.
    I already set up DND schedule for my work that looks into my work calendar and turns on DND mode. I don't know why you would use this app for this instead of DND. Try DND and it will work better.
    05-30-2017 02:39 PM
    I already set up DND schedule for my work that looks into my work calendar and turns on DND mode. I don't know why you would use this app for this instead of DND. Try DND and it will work better.
    If there's anyone else out there who absolutely loaths unnecessary acronyms, and also might not be totally familiar with android just yet to know what they stand for and you have come here to actually learn something instead of just being confused looking at capital letters... DND stands for Do Not Disturb. Not Dungeons and Dragons
    05-30-2017 02:49 PM
    I don't use a work calendar. I set this app to vibrate from 8am-5pm and it doesn't work? I must be doing something wrong because this is the whole purpose of the app.
    05-30-2017 04:02 PM
    I don't get the point of this app. Did Samsung forget to bake in a bunch of features into the OS settings and is releasing this half-functional app as an add-on?
    jasonb likes this.
    05-30-2017 11:21 PM
    I do like the 150 steps of volume control. It is something that could have been part of the OS though for sure.
    05-31-2017 09:35 AM
    I don't get the point of this app. Did Samsung forget to bake in a bunch of features into the OS settings and is releasing this half-functional app as an add-on?
    Problem is that Samsung can't win either way, if they bake it in into the OS then people call it Bloatware, Gimmicks, etc..., if they add it as an optional app then they receive your criticism, anyways, as far as I can see no other phone out there or OS in general (as far as I know) has baked into the OS all the features this app includes at least no 150 steps volume control and no individual device volume control that are the 2 more important features for me.

So to answer your question I don't think they just forgot to add this into the OS, I think they did what they have been doing for the past year and is doing what people have been asking them to do to tone Touchwiz down a bit and to just release all this "exclusive features" as an optional APP and not into the default launcher.
    05-31-2017 09:52 AM
    What am I missing here? Had the app since the day it was released. When I go into the separate volume settings, I get a blank screen and no way to add apps.
    caj27 likes this.
    05-31-2017 09:58 AM
    What am I missing here? Had the app since the day it was released. When I go into the separate volume settings, I get a blank screen and no way to add apps.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d11e7aa922.jpg
    Same here... couldn't figure it out so I uninstalled. That, and I couldn't find the option for 150 step volume control either.
    caj27 likes this.
    05-31-2017 10:44 AM
    What am I missing here? Had the app since the day it was released. When I go into the separate volume settings, I get a blank screen and no way to add apps.
    That happened to me at first also. The UI is confusing, or at least not well documented.

It seems that the Floating button needs to be enabled to get apps on this list. Try:
    1. Enabling Floating button (I set a 5 second timeout)
    2. Then start an app like your music app and press the volume button.
    3. Tap the Floating button and then tap the dropdown arrow.

You can add that app to the list for separate volume setting. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for additional apps. It appears that once to add the apps the settings stick.
    greeman3 and caj27 like this.
    05-31-2017 11:50 AM
    Has anyone gotten the scheduling to work? I have mine set to vibrate 8-5 pm during work hours but it still rings and text alerts
    05-31-2017 11:54 AM

I hadn't seen this until you pointed it out. Good looking.. I just switched to media. I never want to adjust the ringtone volume. I almost always have my phone on vibrate and if I don't, I want it full blast so I can hear it when it's in my pocket. On the rare occasion that I might need to lower the volume of the ringer, I don't mind doing it manually. I know with 100% certainty that when I open a video and almost always need to adjust the volume, I want the volume buttons to do their job.
    digitalbreak likes this.
    05-31-2017 02:38 PM
    The option to adjust individual app volumes provides me with a blank list, also.
    06-27-2017 03:36 PM
    I can't adjust the Google Map Navigation volume, even when I follow the steps given by edubb256.

And the funny thing is... I'm pretty sure I could adjust this app's volume before (week 1 of S8 ownership). I could also set it to play always through the phone speaker instead of my car's bluetooth stereo (which I want to reserve for phone calls, music, audiobooks, etc). This feature used to be available within Google Maps, but it was removed, and now it appears to have been removed from Samsung's SoundAssistant app. WTF
    06-27-2017 03:41 PM