To those who think you don't need a screen protector for S8

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Got my first scratch today, and I have no clue how!!! Ordered a tempered glass! I'm currently using a wallet case, just really puzzled as to how it could have scratched. It's not bad, but I know it's there and it drives me crazy! LOL

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Not a single scratch of any kind, been using it without a protector 99% of the time. This is what happens OP, when you keep your phone in a pocket without making sure it's free of coins, keys and dirt.

Please explain how you can possibly tell it can be free from dirt,debris that is too small to see

dergis donato

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
Well I'm way to careful when it comes to smartphone protection, I always use a case on my phones it doesn't matter how beautiful it is, I just feel that's the way it should be, we spend so much money on a smartphone to just throw it away or scratch it? I think that's retarded, it doesn't matter how hard are the manufacturers trying top heavy smartphones unless is a the intention. I have the gs8+ and i'm having a spegen tough armor and I'm not having a screen protector or a glass screen protector, and trust me I really want to wear it but also think it should be alright without it, I'm only a month with my galaxy but will see how it goes.

tattooed4515

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
I work in a sandy environment, underground. Get sand in my pockets every day. Still don't have a scratch. Never a screen protector either.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Oleophobic scratches won't distort the phone's light like glass scratches do.
Again, I wonder what evidence if any you have for that claim. If a scratch is visible, doesn't that mean it's distorting light? Distortion of light is precisely what makes an object visible.

Kirk Maluo

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Again, I wonder what evidence if any you have for that claim. If a scratch is visible, doesn't that mean it's distorting light? Distortion of light is precisely what makes an object visible.
I've had both over several phones. Only the glass scratches were visible when the screen is on.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had both over several phones. Only the glass scratches were visible when the screen is on.
Thanks for explaining. But how did you decide which ones were glass scratches and which ones not? Did you consider the scratches to be glass scratches only if you could see them when the screen was on? (And in any case, the scratches that are only visible with the screen off are still distorting light, albeit less so than the other scratches.)

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Even glass scratches are seldom visible with phone on unless they are deep enough to feel with your finger. I see no advantage to ugly oleophobic layer scratches over glass surface scratches. Neither can be removed. Both look ugly with phone off. Both subtract from resale value

Kirk Maluo

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for explaining. But how did you decide which ones were glass scratches and which ones not? Did you consider the scratches to be glass scratches only if you could see them when the screen was on? (And in any case, the scratches that are only visible with the screen off are still distorting light, albeit less so than the other scratches.)
Your can tell the Oleophobic scratches as they have very little texture and depth. They're usually clustered together and form more readily on the curves of the screen. Without the coating our phones would look like a disgusting pile of grease. It's definitely an imperfect compromise.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Your can tell the Oleophobic scratches as they have very little texture and depth. They're usually clustered together and form more readily on the curves of the screen.
I get that those are the clues you look for when you decide whether the glass or the coating is scratched.

But the part I still don't get is: how do you know that the coating is thick enough to exhibit visible scratches at all? How do you know that all the visible scratches aren't glass scratches?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I get that those are the clues you look for when you decide whether the glass or the coating is scratched.

But the part I still don't get is: how do you know that the coating is thick enough to exhibit visible scratches at all? How do you know that all the visible scratches aren't glass scratches?

The coating doesn't do jack. It's a thin coating that'll wear out very quickly. Scratch on the coating, you'll still see it either way. Trying buffing that out and you'll make it worse. If you want to know if they are glass scratches, run your fingernail across it, if it's pretty deep then probably is a glass scratch. If you hold up the phone in direct sunlight or a lamp and tilt it, those micro scratches are probably the oleophobic scratches.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Not been using screen protectors for couple of years now and completely fine. I enjoy the glass feel of the phone and never worried about scratches. And don't care about minute microscopic scratches.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Never worried about any Android phone having any scratches and have never used a protector of any kind. I've only had my S8+ for about a month now and it will remain without a screen protector.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Had mine for 2 months and still not even a micro scratch on the screen. I was checking yesterday because I was sure there would be some but still nothing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance