SEIDIO OPTIK Case for the Samsung Galaxy S8+ Review

Pros:
-FPS slot is depressed and partitioned off from the camera
-Raised corners provide better drop protection

Cons:
-Very little screen protection

7649fde24090064de853f81f6f6ad62e.jpg

Introduction
Are you someone who wants the fit of a simple TPU case, but want a bit more protection, WITHOUT the bulk? If so then look no further than the SEIDIO OPTIK case! It feels like a regular TPU case, but it has enhanced raised corners which should provide better drop protection than standard TPU cases. In the past, I have bought Ballistic cases which had this design, however, they don’t have any cases for the S8/S8+. Major props to SEIDIO for stepping up to the plate to provide a case with raised corners!

In addition, a small but overlooked item would be the fingerprint scanner (FPS) which is partitioned off from the camera.

What You Get
The case comes in a basic red cardboard box and a plastic bag to hold the case. Nothing special, but gets the job done.

7e873b5dc5100be0ae00e758f0866e43.jpg

Protection

SEIDIO decided to add raised corners, so it should have good corner protection, which is a big plus over regular TPU cases. However, there isn’t very much face drop protection, as the corners are raised just ever so slightly on the face.

b66432979a146ea5a84c375f5c04f4f0.jpg
d5e35f6631ea68e8c22ba3b1093490e3.jpg

Fitment, Feel, and First Impressions
The case feels like most TPU cases – it is smooth and provides great grip, but it should be noted that it could get a little slippery if you have oily fingers, though the same can be said for other TPU cases. Regardless, the case definitely makes it significantly less slippery than a naked S8+. SEIDIO states that the case is 2mm thin, and it seems about right. I would consider it to be a medium thickness TPU case.

The inside back of the case has a dot matrix design which is done so that the inside of the case doesn’t “stick” to the back of the phone, and on the plus side, it looks pretty nifty! This case is also somewhat unique in that it provides different slots for the flash, camera, and fingerprint scanner (FPS). This design really helps to align your finger with the FPS, and avoid getting smudges on the camera!

90de4edba69af0bc39e8f094d9e83d97.jpg

As a disclaimer, I kept the stock back plastic on my phone, which is probably the reason why the mic holes are slightly misaligned. Aside from that, all the buttons are well aligned, and require a moderate force to press, so as to help avoid accidental presses in the pocket.

7fcd2da4e49869ae0ea492d7d74f3701.jpg

Why should I buy it?
This case has two stand out features - FPS cutout and the added corner protection. For me, the biggest downside of the S8+ is the placement of the FPS which is hard to locate and also causes accidental touches on the camera lens, and this case really helps in that regard. The corners are also beefed up to help against corner drops. You can buy this case from SEIDIO:
https://www.seidioonline.com/product/samsung-galaxy-s8-plus-optik/

Last edited: