The wifi on my new (May 2017) S8 drops all the time. The signal reception is very low. My husband noticed his S8+ dropped signal in our kitchen - never happened with my S4 or his Note 3. We bought a repeater and seems to be working in the kitchen, but mine won't stay connected in our bedroom, where I have never had a problem before. I continually have to reconnect at work when I leave my desk and walk to another building. Never had that problem before. It's a large complex of buildings where the wifi is accessible everywhere. I always have to key in the connection password at work. We didn't realize the wifi wasn't connecting until near the end of the month when we ran out of data. The problem is clearly that I was using my phone normally but it wasn't connecting to wifi (in my own house!) and switching to data. Verizon just earned another $15 from me this month. I'm guessing its a built in feature, but I'm going to head back to the store and see if a replacement has the same problems. I'm not a guru with phones, but my husband is an EE and pretty savvy.
    06-01-2017 12:42 PM
    Welcome to the forum. There are ongoing threads with wifi on the S8s. See https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...=1#post5787349

One item from your post, I would not expect to have wifi coverage outside and between buildings as you noted. I've seen this done at very large construction sites but not on campuses. Are you connecting to 2.4 or 5gz? 2.4 has much more range so you might check that. Also, I doubt this is a "built in feature" to make you use more data.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...community.html
    06-01-2017 01:23 PM
    I would try turning off Bluetooth. It seems that the phone experience issues if both are on at the same time. A fix for this is coming from Samsung
    06-01-2017 01:51 PM
    Same here. I get terrible wifi connect and speeds on my S8. My S7 never had a problem. Signal reception is also not as good. Hopefully samsung pushes a fix soon.
    06-01-2017 03:04 PM
    Same here. I get terrible wifi connect and speeds on my S8. My S7 never had a problem. Signal reception is also not as good. Hopefully samsung pushes a fix soon.
    Surprising as mine is very good, as are my speeds. But I have a high end router also, so would expect that. Samsung has already pushed one update to the S8s that dealt with wifi IIRC. Happened fairly soon after release.
    06-01-2017 05:12 PM
    Surprising as mine is very good, as are my speeds. But I have a high end router also, so would expect that. Samsung has already pushed one update to the S8s that dealt with wifi IIRC. Happened fairly soon after release.
    Same -- I have AT&T Fiber for my ISP and a Google WiFi router -- On 5 GHz I can hit 450-500 Mbps.
    06-01-2017 06:14 PM