Samsung Messenger Limitations

ApexDestroyer

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S8 and just switched to T-MOBILE.

I like the Samsung messenger that is built in. I like that it also works with T-MOBILE Digits for multi-line texting.
I don't like that I can't send mms over 1MB.

Is there a way to allow it to send larger mms? I thought T-MOBILE could use advanced messaging? Am I missing something?

I can send larger mms through Textra but not the stock messenger?!

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S8 and just switched to T-MOBILE.

I like the Samsung messenger that is built in. I like that it also works with T-MOBILE Digits for multi-line texting.
I don't like that I can't send mms over 1MB.

Is there a way to allow it to send larger mms? I thought T-MOBILE could use advanced messaging? Am I missing something?

I can send larger mms through Textra but not the stock messenger?!

Sorry if it seems to dumb to ask but have you changed the Messages app settings? Settings-Chat Settings-Multimedia limit.

Remember, this is not iMessage so it will still be limited by SMS/Carrier restrictions unless the recipient can also use the advance messaging feature with a Tmobile compatible device.

ApexDestroyer

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I adjusted to allow all messages regardless of size. I even followed T-MOBILE's directions to "enable" advanced messaging RCS on mine and my wife's phones. But still doesn't allow me to send over 1MB.

ApexDestroyer

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Is Google messenger the only app that allows RCS?
Samsung support told me that their stock app does not support advanced messaging but it will in a future update. (I'm sure this rep doesn't have insider info on future software updates)

ApexDestroyer

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
If Allo had basic sms/mms it would be perfect and it would be a direct competitor of iMessage. I was disappointed when it was released but I thought they just hurried it out and they would update it with basic texting after a few weeks. I was wrong​ and even more disappointed.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Both too limited. Nobody I know uses either of those so would be useless to me.

I've seen this a couple of times the past week on different threads, it seems I was wrong all along in thinking that MOST of the people use WhatsApp at least, I mean, if as January 2017 they had over 1.2 billions active users and from my Contacts over 90% of them have WhatsApp I assumed that was the rule for everybody, but it seems I was wrong.

Anyways, Like I've mentioned before I don't like SMS/MMS, I've always used an alternate method for this, and I don't rely on regular SMS or iMessage if my contacts don't want to use WhatsApp then they should call me, but again, that's just me.

ApexDestroyer

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I would say most of iPhone users use iMessage as their only messaging. My parents are a good example. They don't know and don't care how iMessage works. They just care that it works. They can send "texts" without even thinking about how it gets sent. They have 1 app that does everything. I don't want to use multiple apps to send messages and I don't want my contacts to try and figure out which app to send me a message on.

When I switched from iPhone to android a few years ago I was blown away by the amount of customization and options I had to make it MY phone but I couldn't believe that there was no solid iMessage version on Android.

Why not combine Allo and Google Messanger into 1 app?!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If Allo had basic sms/mms it would be perfect and it would be a direct competitor of iMessage. I was disappointed when it was released but I thought they just hurried it out and they would update it with basic texting after a few weeks. I was wrong​ and even more disappointed.

Would you then expect Allo to be Android to Android only for the "enhanced"/"better" messaging?

ApexDestroyer

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes, at first. Android to Android advanced messaging but sms/mms to other OSs until RCS becomes standard across the board.
Allo would know which users/numbers are enrolled in the advanced messaging and if false route it as mms.

At least a standard for advanced messaging across Android. Apple will not move from iMessage but it would be nice if there was some sort of universal messaging standard. sms/mms is so limited and it needed to be replaced a long time ago.
I remember my first "camera phone" (LG Clamshell). I would send picture messages at $.25 each! I'm using the same technology in my Galaxy S8.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae