01-03-2018 10:34 AM
29 12
tools
    I have a Galaxy S8 and just switched to T-MOBILE.

I like the Samsung messenger that is built in. I like that it also works with T-MOBILE Digits for multi-line texting.
    I don't like that I can't send mms over 1MB.

Is there a way to allow it to send larger mms? I thought T-MOBILE could use advanced messaging? Am I missing something?

I can send larger mms through Textra but not the stock messenger?!
    06-01-2017 05:45 PM
    stock sucks imo
    gendo667 likes this.
    06-01-2017 06:09 PM

I like the Samsung messenger that is built in. I like that it also works with T-MOBILE Digits for multi-line texting.

Is there a way to allow it to send larger mms? I thought T-MOBILE could use advanced messaging? Am I missing something?

Sorry if it seems to dumb to ask but have you changed the Messages app settings? Settings-Chat Settings-Multimedia limit.

Remember, this is not iMessage so it will still be limited by SMS/Carrier restrictions unless the recipient can also use the advance messaging feature with a Tmobile compatible device.
    06-01-2017 07:35 PM
    stock sucks imo
    MMS sucks IMO.
    06-01-2017 07:42 PM
    06-01-2017 09:45 PM
    Textra IMO
    Textra is nice and I use it but if someone wants iMessage quality nothing can really compare.
    06-01-2017 09:47 PM
    Textra IMO
    Still uses ancient MMS though.
    06-01-2017 10:07 PM
    Yes, I adjusted to allow all messages regardless of size. I even followed T-MOBILE's directions to "enable" advanced messaging RCS on mine and my wife's phones. But still doesn't allow me to send over 1MB.
    06-01-2017 10:55 PM
    Is Google messenger the only app that allows RCS?
    Samsung support told me that their stock app does not support advanced messaging but it will in a future update. (I'm sure this rep doesn't have insider info on future software updates)
    06-01-2017 11:01 PM
    So what do you recommend?
    06-01-2017 11:46 PM
    So what do you recommend?
    Allo, WhatsApp.
    06-02-2017 12:02 AM
    Allo, WhatsApp.
    Both too limited. Nobody I know uses either of those so would be useless to me.
    06-02-2017 12:13 AM
    If Allo had basic sms/mms it would be perfect and it would be a direct competitor of iMessage. I was disappointed when it was released but I thought they just hurried it out and they would update it with basic texting after a few weeks. I was wrong​ and even more disappointed.
    06-02-2017 06:10 AM
    It actually uses SMS and MMS, and they've claimed they'll support RCS in the future.
    06-02-2017 08:23 AM
    Both too limited. Nobody I know uses either of those so would be useless to me.
    I've seen this a couple of times the past week on different threads, it seems I was wrong all along in thinking that MOST of the people use WhatsApp at least, I mean, if as January 2017 they had over 1.2 billions active users and from my Contacts over 90% of them have WhatsApp I assumed that was the rule for everybody, but it seems I was wrong.

Anyways, Like I've mentioned before I don't like SMS/MMS, I've always used an alternate method for this, and I don't rely on regular SMS or iMessage if my contacts don't want to use WhatsApp then they should call me, but again, that's just me.
    06-02-2017 11:01 AM
    It actually uses SMS and MMS, and they've claimed they'll support RCS in the future.
    Of course SMS and MMS. Wouldn't RCS still depend on the carrier though?
    06-02-2017 11:41 AM
    It requires carrier support, yes. Your messaging app must support it as well.
    06-02-2017 11:51 AM
    I would say most of iPhone users use iMessage as their only messaging. My parents are a good example. They don't know and don't care how iMessage works. They just care that it works. They can send "texts" without even thinking about how it gets sent. They have 1 app that does everything. I don't want to use multiple apps to send messages and I don't want my contacts to try and figure out which app to send me a message on.

When I switched from iPhone to android a few years ago I was blown away by the amount of customization and options I had to make it MY phone but I couldn't believe that there was no solid iMessage version on Android.

Why not combine Allo and Google Messanger into 1 app?!
    blaine07 likes this.
    06-02-2017 12:07 PM
    If Allo had basic sms/mms it would be perfect and it would be a direct competitor of iMessage. I was disappointed when it was released but I thought they just hurried it out and they would update it with basic texting after a few weeks. I was wrong​ and even more disappointed.
    Would you then expect Allo to be Android to Android only for the "enhanced"/"better" messaging?
    06-02-2017 01:38 PM
    Yes, at first. Android to Android advanced messaging but sms/mms to other OSs until RCS becomes standard across the board.
    Allo would know which users/numbers are enrolled in the advanced messaging and if false route it as mms.

At least a standard for advanced messaging across Android. Apple will not move from iMessage but it would be nice if there was some sort of universal messaging standard. sms/mms is so limited and it needed to be replaced a long time ago.
    I remember my first "camera phone" (LG Clamshell). I would send picture messages at $.25 each! I'm using the same technology in my Galaxy S8.
    06-02-2017 01:56 PM
    Yes, at first. Android to Android advanced messaging but sms/mms to other OSs until RCS becomes standard across the board.
    Allo would know which users/numbers are enrolled in the advanced messaging and if false route it as mms.

At least a standard for advanced messaging across Android. Apple will not move from iMessage but it would be nice if there was some sort of universal messaging standard. sms/mms is so limited and it needed to be replaced a long time ago.
    I remember my first "camera phone" (LG Clamshell). I would send picture messages at $.25 each! I'm using the same technology in my Galaxy S8.
    SMS and MMS are universal though.
    06-02-2017 02:05 PM

So regarding T-Mobile advanced messaging. It's not a feature that you can turn on or off. Basically, if you are texting someone who is also on T-Mobile and has a compatible phone, and that person has a decent LTE signal, it'll just work. You'll be able to tell because messages you send will have "delivered" or "read" status indicators, and when the other person is typing, you'll be able to see it. Your MMS messages should allow up to 10 MB of data (source: https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...aging-blog.htm), but again the person on the other end has to have T-Mobile and a compatible phone as well.

Advanced messaging isn't as good as WhatsApp, but it's better than ordinary texting. Only problem is the lack of compatibility for a wide range of devices. Your recipient has to also be on T-Mobile, so that already cuts out the majority of phone users. But as far as compatible devices go, it only works with the Galaxy Note 4 and later Samsung phones, and I believe some LG phones as well. Apple doesn't support it, and while T-Mobile is willing to work with them I don't really see this happening since they like to focus on intra-Apple compatibility more than anything else. The only people with whom I'm able to exchange advanced messages are my parents. Both my wife and my brother are iPhone users, so even though my whole family is on T-Mobile it's not something I get to use often.

But again, it works seamlessly with the stock messaging app. So on those rare instances where you exchange advanced messages with someone, you shouldn't have to "do" anything to get it working.

Anyone know if T-Mobile advanced messaging works with any other SMS apps from the Play Store?
    06-03-2017 10:50 AM
    I believe it's just the stock app and Android Messages (Google Messenger)
    I tested the stock app with mine and my wife's phone and everything worked as an advanced message. (Worked great except for not being able to insert gifs through the keyboard)

I'm going to test out Android Messages to see if it sends and receives advanced.
    *UPDATE*
    I just tried it out and nothing was sent as "advanced" to and from the S8. I am guessing that I would need to be on a Pixel to get this to work with Android Messages.
    arunma likes this.
    06-04-2017 10:30 AM
    Yes, I adjusted to allow all messages regardless of size. I even followed T-MOBILE's directions to "enable" advanced messaging RCS on mine and my wife's phones. But still doesn't allow me to send over 1MB.
    Where are these directions on T-Mobile that you speak of? I can't find them.
    07-28-2017 01:55 PM
    Where are these directions on T-Mobile that you speak of? I can't find them.
    Yeah, me neither. Like I said in my post from a couple months back, AFAIK it's not something you can turn off. Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong though!
    07-28-2017 07:27 PM
29 12