Dropped my phone.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So yesterday, I was at a park for a few minutes laying down on a wooden park bench like half an inch off the ground and I had my Galaxy S8 in my pocket and then fortunately it accidentally slid out of my pocket and dropped on the cement the concrete. It's cracked a little bit on the bottom left-hand side of my phone and on the top right is scratched a little bit but nothing serious. Thankfully, the screen is only cracked a little bit, and 100% usable. I don't like using my case because it's so bulky and annoying. I called Samsung and there is a repair center near me in New Jersey, and I inquired as to how much a replacement Gorilla Glass 5 screen would be and they said $250 which is almost half the money on the phone! So I'm just going to use my phone the way it is for now. I just want to share my story with everyone else.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I learned my lesson last year, dropped my OnePlus 3 when I sat down. I was wearing my gym shorts.

After rarely dropping my phones last year I dropped three. :(

Having said that I think it's worth the risk, except when I'm at work. :)

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I learned my lesson last year, dropped my OnePlus 3 when I sat down. I was wearing my gym shorts.

After rarely dropping my phones last year I dropped three. :(

Having said that I think it's worth the risk, except when I'm at work. :)
Yeah as you can tell I'm anal about my electronics and I never ever dropped phones! When you say it's worth the risk, what do you mean though? Haha yeah I can't believe Samsung is charging $250 for a brand new Gorilla Glass 5 screen. And I can't afford it right now. I'll be honest maybe in the future but that's it. I still don't want to use a case because a most of them are bulky and be they don't work well with the edges display unfortunately. And the phone looks so damn beautiful and sexy with the infinity display and the edge screen you don't want to cover it up.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Samsung isnt charging just $250 for the glass... they care charging for the manpower to seperate that SOB from the LCD so that you don't have to pay $550 for a new glass AND screen unit. ^^

And are we really going to have to listen to sob stories from people who ignore what we say and break their phone? Pick one, A) never drop your phone.. or B) get some kind of a functional case. There are many cases now, many different styles, pick one. Compared to a phone repair they cost pennies.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Samsung isnt charging just $250 for the glass... they care charging for the manpower to seperate that SOB from the LCD so that you don't have to pay $550 for a new glass AND screen unit. ^^

And are we really going to have to listen to sob stories from people who ignore what we say and break their phone? Pick one, A) never drop your phone.. or B) get some kind of a functional case. There are many cases now, many different styles, pick one. Compared to a phone repair they cost pennies.
Will tell you what if you don't want to listen to sob stories from internet forms then you don't have to respond. I'm not forcing you to listen to my sob story. I figured I'd post and share just to share. If not what is the point of forms in general? As far as the price tag of $250? Yeah I find it expensive but it is what it is the phone itself was $760 so I didn't think a glass panel would be that expensive. And in general, there is no case that makes the phone look good. And those dbrand skins look nice but when you put on the back of the phone you let your phone on a desk or a flat surface, you never see the skin so what's the point? At least that's my opinion and my perspective of it. One of the main reasons I bought the S8 and not the S8 plus was for the small form factor and the one handed capabilities it looks app good without a case.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Nothing wrong with people sharing their experiences on a forum. I am sure the price to replace the glass will drop. I like you really love this phone naked but have a few minimal cases that I use from time to time. I hate how it falls out of gym shorts and my DBrand skin helps with that issue a little.

Also this is why I but insurance. Squaretrade. Broken glad would drive me crazy. Lol

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Nothing wrong with people sharing their experiences on a forum. I am sure the price to replace the glass will drop. I like you really love this phone naked but have a few minimal cases that I use from time to time. I hate how it falls out of gym shorts and my DBrand skin helps with that issue a little.

Also this is why I but insurance. Squaretrade. Broken glad would drive me crazy. Lol
Oh trust me I agree with you! Yeah I love the phone naked I'm not afraid to admit it it feels great it looks great just a Samsung intended for it to be. I'll just have to suck it up and deal with a small crack in the bottom left-hand corner of my screen. It's not like an iPhone where the entire phone screen is shattered! Haha. Everything is still completely usable, and functional thankfully.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Front pockets are bad about that. They're great while standing, not so much while sitting, laying down or squatting. Especially if you like your clothes kinda loose.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Front pockets are bad about that. They're great while standing, not so much while sitting, laying down or squatting. Especially if you like your clothes kinda loose.
I mean I just wear regular shorts. But yeah laying down is a problem I now realize. That's the lesson to be learned.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
So yesterday, I was at a park for a few minutes laying down on a wooden park bench like half an inch off the ground and I had my Galaxy S8 in my pocket and then fortunately it accidentally slid out of my pocket and dropped on the cement the concrete. It's cracked a little bit on the bottom left-hand side of my phone and on the top right is scratched a little bit but nothing serious. Thankfully, the screen is only cracked a little bit, and 100% usable. I don't like using my case because it's so bulky and annoying. I called Samsung and there is a repair center near me in New Jersey, and I inquired as to how much a replacement Gorilla Glass 5 screen would be and they said $250 which is almost half the money on the phone! So I'm just going to use my phone the way it is for now. I just want to share my story with everyone else.

Moral of the story? Use a case and screen protector.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Moral of the story? Use a case and screen protector.
More of a moral of a story be super careful and take the phone out of the pocket when laying down. I understand about the case don't get me wrong I just don't like most of them look ugly, and they mess up the true shape of the phone. Thank you.

indysteve9

May 8, 2011
Visit site

And that's what cases are made for.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I hate cases to but if done exactly what you just did so I put on the thinnest case I can find. currently sporting the incipio thin case from Amazon. search galaxy s8 plus t him case

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I'll try to. There's some kind of thin naked case I saw on Instagram, the problem is that for such a thin case I don't know how much drop protection it'll provide, and its about $40.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
It's cracked falling half an inch off the ground?? HALF AN INCH?!! :eek:

Honestly, I don't think an entire iPhone screen would shatter from a half inch fall. Most phones shouldn't

Any pics? Keep us updated... What I'm curious is if it develops hairline cracks from initial crack over time.

Oh trust me I agree with you! Yeah I love the phone naked I'm not afraid to admit it it feels great it looks great just a Samsung intended for it to be. I'll just have to suck it up and deal with a small crack in the bottom left-hand corner of my screen. It's not like an iPhone where the entire phone screen is shattered! Haha. Everything is still completely usable, and functional thankfully.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It's cracked falling half an inch off the ground?? HALF AN INCH?!! :eek:

Honestly, I don't think an entire iPhone screen would shatter from a half inch fall. Most phones shouldn't

Any pics? Keep us updated... What I'm curious is if it develops hairline cracks from initial crack over time.
Yeah it was a bad half an inch or so off the ground maybe a little bit further but again it was a regular park bench. The entire screen is not cracked like I said only the bottom left-hand corner of the phone screen is cracked a little. The entire phone is still 100% usable like I said before.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If I weren't going to use a case, I would use a skin and a screen protector. You might want to look into that. Shouldnt add much bulk to it. (edit)... wouldnt really add a great amount of protection... scratch protection and maybe a tempered glass would help. but an option over completely naked.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If I weren't going to use a case, I would use a skin and a screen protector. You might want to look into that. Shouldnt add much bulk to it.
At first, I was thinking of that. However with a dbrand skin or any other similar skin for that matter, I can't see how that would also help prevent a cracked screen from dropping the phone a little bit from the ground. Aren't skins supposed to just be fashionable? For example if I just skin the back of the phone, and I'm always laying the phone down on a flat surface how are you ever supposed to see the skin?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781