Swapped back to iPhone 7+

llfloyd79

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I get that. My family does too. I'm just getting tired of making my phone selection based off their selection. Don't get me wrong, I think the 7 Plus is a good phone. I can make it work for me, but I don't want to "make it work" for me. I'd rather use the phone that I want to use.

I'm battling with the same thing. Everyone in my house and some friends use iPhone and after today I told myself I'm not going to base my phone choice off of everyone else (especially iMessage and FaceTime). I'm going to keep this phone because its a pure beast of a phone. So I definitely agree with you.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Work switched over to all iphone. I was so uninterested after a short time I turned in the phone and got a Note 5 [at the time about a year ago] and haven't turned back.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Just switched back to the S8+ after about 24 hours. The iPhone just doesn't cut it anymore. That's a shame actually. It's a great device.

I agree it is a great device. However, if you're coming from android you'll see just how locked down iOS is.

tr1ad

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
Day 2 of my experience with android and S8 plus....new to me, don't think I'll be rushing back to iOS in a hurry at this point in time

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Day 2 of my experience with android and S8 plus....new to me, don't think I'll be rushing back to iOS in a hurry at this point in time

Saw you on iMore, so finally you did it, I thought you wouldn't do it. First time Android user you have a lot to learn, there's a lot of things you haven't even seen or use before. So I'd suggest you to look for any of the dozens of great videos on YouTube of hidden features and tips and tricks on the S8, plus the others threads here on AC for first timers, believe me it will greatly help to appreciate what Android and S8 can really do, it can be overwhelming at times but go slow, learn a couple of new things, master them and then move with the next couple of features and so on.

Last edited:

tr1ad

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
Saw you on iMore, so finally you did it, I thought you wouldn't do it. First time Android user you have a lot to learn, there's a lot of things you haven't even seen or use before. So I'd suggest you to look for any of the dozens of great videos on YouTube of hidden features and tips and tricks on the S8, plus the others threads here on AC for first timers, believe me it will greatly help to appreciate what Android and S8 can really do, it can be overwhelming at times but go slow, learn a couple of new things, master them and then move with the next couple of features and so on.
Well .... Everything deserves a chance now and then

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Well .... Everything deserves a chance now and then

Yes, that's true, I did the same but the other way, being an Android user for the past 6 years I gave it a try to the 7 Plus and Apple Watch, for 3 months nothing but the iPhone and boy I was bored, if it wasn't for the Watch I wouldn't have lasted a month.

After a while I used the phone just for a couple of hours a day and the rest I did it on the Watch. Definitely not my cup of tea, I don't let a company dictate with some exclusive features the phone I want to use. Even with my wife and daughters with iPhones I barely used iMessage, we only use WhatsApp and basically never used or need FaceTime. So no big deal to me switching between iOS or Android.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of users that try Android for the first time coming from iOS and simply don't give it a fair try, they simply pretend to keep using things just like they did with iOS and that is just a recipe for a big frustration and disappointment, hence the reason I always suggest to read about the dozens of things you have never used and see this videos with all those tips and tricks and I always guarantee that it will change your perspective completely.

So, just go to the Member guides sub forum and you'll find great information to help you begin with the transition while learning all the neat and some exclusive Android/Galaxy S8 features.

tr1ad

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
Thanks man, I'll say that imessage and facetime wasn't a big deal for me even though I got my wife an iPhone.

For a fair trial I'd say it's best to keep an open mind

htcmate

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I had the 7 Plus before I got my S8. The S8 screen is pretty much same size as the Iphone 7 PLus just a little narrower but little longer. The physical size of the phone is much smaller so I prefer my S8. Resolution wise the iphone 7 plus just can't compare.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Your title states you went back to he i7+ but your texts seems to point otherwise..... This is a bit confusing.....

Thought the i7+ has a 5.5 inch screen where's the s8 has a 5.8 (the plus having a 6.2)

resolution does not compare ofc since one's only 1080 and the other is 2k (or 1440p)
watching 4k stuff on the s8(+) is just amazing imho.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Your title states you went back to he i7+ but your texts seems to point otherwise..... This is a bit confusing.....

Thought the i7+ has a 5.5 inch screen where's the s8 has a 5.8 (the plus having a 6.2)

resolution does not compare ofc since one's only 1080 and the other is 2k (or 1440p)
watching 4k stuff on the s8(+) is just amazing imho.
The 7+ is wider than the s8. S8 has a "bigger screen diagonally, but it is not as wide a phone.

bullittmustang

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
When an Apple user posts to an Android phone using iMessage how often does the text fail to go through? I've never seen a satisfactory answer to this question.

The iPhone user has the option to send as a regular text when imessage is not available. I think it's on by default. If not, it's in the message settings. It works well, my whole family has iPhones and I get the messages just fine.

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I was only missing iMessage on my laptop and Android wifi tablet so I got Yappy SMS for phone, tablet & Computer. Works great, very convenient. My regular texting app on my S8+ is Textra but Yappy picks up all SMS/MMS even though it's not default on my phone then I'm using a Chrome Plugin on my MacBook. Perfect setup for me.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone user has the option to send as a regular text when imessage is not available. I think it's on by default. If not, it's in the message settings. It works well, my whole family has iPhones and I get the messages just fine.

I just went to the dark side (iPhone 7 Plus) after a zillion years of Android.
Text messages go through to Android phones just fine. Even though I've had the 7 Plus for only a week and a half, not a single SMS has gone missing to any of my Android friends. iMessenger will send regular SMS if the receiver does not have iOS.
Regard the screen. The display is great. Each display in individually calibrated. The display handles sRGB and P3. iOS has a color management system baked in, Android does not. The display shows what I consider true life colors and I prefer that to the over saturated displays of some of the Android phones.

callihan_44

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I switch back and forth weekly, one simple thing that I miss about the s8 is the haptic feed back when typing ...it's a lot more pronounced on the s8 vs the ip7. It takes me a day or two to get used to typing on the ip7 again. Oh and the drastic difference in displays. Ip7 is slightly easier to handle one handed, which I appreciate sometimes.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I switch back and forth weekly, one simple thing that I miss about the s8 is the haptic feed back when typing ...it's a lot more pronounced on the s8 vs the ip7. It takes me a day or two to get used to typing on the ip7 again. Oh and the drastic difference in displays. Ip7 is slightly easier to handle one handed, which I appreciate sometimes.

I do the exact same thing. The S8 is nicer, looks better and is more "modern" than the Ip7, however the Ip7 will get the job done.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc