What VR works with S8?

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey gilby19891,

If you read Samsung's official answer, they say the 2015 GearVR won't work with the Galaxy S8 even with the Micro-USB to USB-C adapter. I personally don't own one so can't test for you but as long as your GearVR has the USB-C connector then it should fine with the Galaxy S8. Just to be safe, I would get the new Gear VR headset 😃

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
I have last year and this years VR and both work with my S8 Plus. No issues at all.

Did you by any chance notice a difference in quality between the two? Not external hardware, but would you say the new VR offers a slightly improved viewing experience, or is it roughly on par with last year's? I ask because I'm not sure if it's just my faded memory of the previous version, since I don't have it anymore, but the new one seems a little crisper and clearer, even though the screen door is still obviously present.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Last year's didn't work for me at all. I couldn't get it to focus due to its fixed IPD range. This new one had a wider field of view (and IPD range I think), so actually allows me to get a clear picture and is finally usable. I've logged quite a few hours of movies and Netflix on it so far.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
Last year's didn't work for me at all. I couldn't get it to focus due to its fixed IPD range. This new one had a wider field of view (and IPD range I think), so actually allows me to get a clear picture and is finally usable. I've logged quite a few hours of movies and Netflix on it so far.

How did you get Netflix to work? It's giving me network connecting errors for some reason. Nothing wrong with my network connectivity.

Update: scratch that. Got it to work, and it's glorious lol

Last edited:

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
How did you get Netflix to work? It's giving me network connecting errors for some reason. Nothing wrong with my network connectivity.

Update: scratch that. Got it to work, and it's glorious lol

Here's another tip for you. try out the Void Theater. When you're in Netflix, look right up at the middle of the ceiling and tap the touchpad. It'll get rid of the distracting background and make it a more immersive and enjoyable experience.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
Here's another tip for you. try out the Void Theater. When you're in Netflix, look right up at the middle of the ceiling and tap the touchpad. It'll get rid of the distracting background and make it a more immersive and enjoyable experience.

Whaaaaaat?! Perfection! That's what I'm using and I did not know that ... Thanks!

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Did you by any chance notice a difference in quality between the two? Not external hardware, but would you say the new VR offers a slightly improved viewing experience, or is it roughly on par with last year's? I ask because I'm not sure if it's just my faded memory of the previous version, since I don't have it anymore, but the new one seems a little crisper and clearer, even though the screen door is still obviously present.

I really didn't notice much of a difference other than the peripheral vision is better in the newer one.

wezzyd

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I have last year's vr and works fine on my S8. would the controller which came out with this year's work ok with last year's?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I have last year and this years VR and both work with my S8 Plus. No issues at all.

To be clear there are THREE Gear VR models. The original has micro-USB and was sold with the Note 5. The second model came with USB-C and an adapter for micro-USB and was sold with the Note 7. The current model is very similar to the second model but also includes a hand controller.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
To be clear there are THREE Gear VR models. The original has micro-USB and was sold with the Note 5. The second model came with USB-C and an adapter for micro-USB and was sold with the Note 7. The current model is very similar to the second model but also includes a hand controller.

I have The second 2 versions and both work fine with my S8+