10-10-2017 11:41 PM
187 1234 ...
tools
    Great. I think the two things I’m looking for is smoother and less bloat
    I'll be honest, the smoothness may just be my imagination.

On my T-Mobile S8+ I had lag pretty bad in the menus and recent apps list. On my T-Mobile S8 I had none. On the unlocked variant I have no lag or hiccups at all but little things like opening the settings and restarts seem a little quicker. I'm sure it's very minimal if at all.

The big thing for me is the bloat. T-Mobile hardly has any but that stupid T-Mobile app drives me insane so I'm very happy to not have to deal with it.

Updates are a concern but if they don't come I'll flash the T-Mobile firmware.
    06-06-2017 03:03 PM
    This is what I really want to know, I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my S7E to an S8/S8+ but not sure if I should go with the T-Mobile variant or the unlocked version.
    06-06-2017 03:38 PM
    One issue with the unlocked versions that Samsung support just told me is Samsung Premium Care is not yet available for them.

Has anyone else with an unlocked version tried to sign up?
    I just tried and I got the following message:

Sorry, this device is not compatible with this Protection Plus plan.
    Well this is dump lol. What in the world are you thinking Samsung?
    06-06-2017 06:42 PM
    Well this is dump lol. What in the world are you thinking Samsung?
    They claim it's because the insurance company they use is carrier based so it takes longer for them to accept unlocked versions.

I'm really liking the unlocked version alot more than the T-Mobile one but this lack of insurance is an issue. I've never dealt with squaretrade before so I don't know how I feel going that route.
    Lepa79 likes this.
    06-06-2017 06:48 PM
    They claim it's because the insurance company they use is carrier based so it takes longer for them to accept unlocked versions.

I'm really liking the unlocked version alot more than the T-Mobile one but this lack of insurance is an issue. I've never dealt with squaretrade before so I don't know how I feel going that route.
    Good info. Thanks for sharing.
    06-06-2017 06:49 PM
    I like to tinker with things ))
    It takes 5 minutes tops to do it
    But the software doesn't have that much bloat and feels little more snappier than Carrier version , and I like not seeing the Carrier crap when phone restarts but most people wouldn't see too much of difference
    Do you happen to have a link to the instructions on going from unlocked to the T-mobile firmware and back to unlocked? Im trying to decipher all the info on XDA and getting really really confused.
    06-07-2017 08:52 AM
    Yep thats the message I got. I called them again to verify it wasnt some glitch and got the same response. Its not offered yet and they arent sure when it will be. They both told me to expect it to be a couple months before the system accepts unlocked devices. I asked them both what happens if I break it before the insurance is offered and got told very clearly, I will have to pay for any repairs in full before I can get premium care.

This has me questioning whether to keep the unlocked version or not. I got mine extremely cheap from Best Buy and really dont want another T-Mobile version for over $200 more.
    If you pay your phone bill with a Wells Fargo credit card they will insure your phone up to $600.00 with a $25.00 deductible. I'm going to do this.

Link:https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-ca...ne-protection/
    06-07-2017 09:04 AM
    If you pay your phone bill with a Wells Fargo credit card they will insure your phone up to $600.00 with a $25.00 deductible. I'm going to do this.

Link:https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-ca...ne-protection/
    Unfortunately I dont use a Wells Fargo card. I used my Best Buy MC and now Im strongly regretting that. Had I used my Amex card I would get 90 days accidental coverage which would probably have been enough time for Samsung to get their act together.

Ive sent some questions to SquareTrade and depending on those Ill probably use them until premium care is available. The thing I dont get is if you have say 3 repairs that will end your coverage since they will fulfill the policy, can you repurchase a new plan or are you SOL? Not sure if anyone on here knows the answer to that but if so, let me know.
    06-07-2017 09:11 AM
    06-07-2017 09:13 AM
    Thank you. Ill go throught that thread and find the stuff for the S8.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    06-07-2017 09:15 AM
    download Prince Odin , flash the fully unlocked where he had it linked to Google drive ..now if it don't flash you might have to go in Odin and where it says options click also phone bootloader update then your good to go, Now if you you want to go back to tmobile download the files from sammobile and use Odin
    TylerLV76 likes this.
    06-07-2017 09:16 AM
    this is only for the 8+ if u have the regular 8 you have to do some searching
    06-07-2017 09:17 AM
    this is only for the 8+ if u have the regular 8 you have to do some searching
    Yeah I saw that. The last bit of instructions you posted actually cleared up some info for me so thank you for that.
    06-07-2017 09:20 AM
    no problem , glad I could help
    06-07-2017 09:23 AM
    Unfortunately I dont use a Wells Fargo card. I used my Best Buy MC and now Im strongly regretting that. Had I used my Amex card I would get 90 days accidental coverage which would probably have been enough time for Samsung to get their act together.

Ive sent some questions to SquareTrade and depending on those Ill probably use them until premium care is available. The thing I dont get is if you have say 3 repairs that will end your coverage since they will fulfill the policy, can you repurchase a new plan or are you SOL? Not sure if anyone on here knows the answer to that but if so, let me know.
    You don't have to use a Wells Fargo card to buy the phone. All you have to is get a Well Fargo card and pay your cellular bill with it.
    06-07-2017 11:24 AM
    Four reasons to buy and 3 reasons to be cautious:

https://www.androidcentral.com/reaso...cked-galaxy-s8

Mav.
    06-07-2017 11:35 AM
    You don't have to use a Wells Fargo card to buy the phone. All you have to is get a Well Fargo card and pay your cellular bill with it.
    I ended up taking the unlocked back and just grabbing a T-Mobile version. Not being able to put insurance on it was really bothering me and the update situation wasnt something I wanted to deal with. On top of that, my signal was acting really funky last night and this morning. I was bouncing between band 12 and 4 alot and thats never happened on any of my phones before.

The fact that I can flash the unlocked software made the choice a bit easier. The main reason I wanted unlocked was to remove the T-Mobile app. If this one causes me the same issues Ill throw the unlocked firmware on and call it a day.

I put it on my amex card so Ive got 90 days free damage and theft protection. When thats done Ill get Samsung premium care.
    06-07-2017 12:22 PM
    I was just able to sign up for Premium Care with Samsung for my unlocked S8 plus. First month is free.
    After that I may do the Well Fargo credit card coverage.
    06-08-2017 11:18 AM
    I was just able to sign up for Premium Care with Samsung for my unlocked S8 plus. First month is free.
    After that I may do the Well Fargo credit card coverage.
    Is that the unlocked version from Best Buy or a carrier version you had unlocked?

Edit: NM I still had my imei from the unlocked one I returned. Of course the day after I return it they offer insurance. Oh well, Im tired of exchanging and setting up phones ever couple days.
    06-08-2017 11:23 AM
    It looks like the T-Mobile version has or is being updated to May security patch and some other things already. Anyone seeing this update with the unlocked version??? I'm still on the fence on wether u should get unlocked or carrier version
    06-08-2017 12:13 PM
    Is that the unlocked version from Best Buy or a carrier version you had unlocked?

Edit: NM I still had my imei from the unlocked one I returned. Of course the day after I return it they offer insurance. Oh well, Im tired of exchanging and setting up phones ever couple days.
    I got mine from Best Buy. I like that I could get 24 month 0% financing on it and keep my old unlimited data package. I just moved my old sim into the new phone.
    06-08-2017 12:14 PM
    I got mine from Best Buy. I like that I could get 24 month 0% financing on it and keep my old unlimited data package. I just moved my old sim into the new phone.
    How you liking it so far???
    06-08-2017 12:14 PM
    I'm really liking mine. I'm coming from a Note 5 which is still a great phone but my wife needed a new phone so she got the Note. I may miss the stylus pen though.
    The battery is so much better than my Note. The screen is very sharp and very responsive. I don't miss the Verizon bloatware.
    As many have said I don't like where the fingerprint scanner is, it's so much better to have it on the front.
    giper54 likes this.
    06-08-2017 12:25 PM
    It looks like the T-Mobile version has or is being updated to May security patch and some other things already. Anyone seeing this update with the unlocked version??? I'm still on the fence on wether u should get unlocked or carrier version
    Beyond the updates, theres a couple reasons to get the T-Mobile version over the unlocked.

The unlocked version handles band 12 very oddly. I have a spot in my house that doesnt get great band 4 so when my T-Mobile version hits -110db it will swap to band 12 and once its on band 12 it will stay there with a signal of -89db. On the unlocked version it was flipping back and forth repeatedly and not switching to band 12 until -120db sometimes. My signal was bouncing around to the point that I could watch it happen.

The little HD voice icon in calls doesnt show up on the unlocked version but I dont know if that means it isnt fully utilizing HD Voice or not.

At first I thought battery was roughly the same between the 2 versions but what Im seeing today compared to yesterday is very different. Yesterday at this point with the same usage I was at 70%. Today Im at 82%. I think that directly related to the radio tweaks in the T-Mobile variant. Also, last night I lost 2% while sleeping for 7 hours. On the unlocked version I lost 12% while sleeping almost 8 hours. Again, I contribute that to the signal bouncing around.
    06-08-2017 12:29 PM
    Beyond the updates, theres a couple reasons to get the T-Mobile version over the unlocked.

The unlocked version handles band 12 very oddly. I have a spot in my house that doesnt get great band 4 so when my T-Mobile version hits -110db it will swap to band 12 and once its on band 12 it will stay there with a signal of -89db. On the unlocked version it was flipping back and forth repeatedly and not switching to band 12 until -120db sometimes. My signal was bouncing around to the point that I could watch it happen.

The little HD voice icon in calls doesnt show up on the unlocked version but I dont know if that means it isnt fully utilizing HD Voice or not.

At first I thought battery was roughly the same between the 2 versions but what Im seeing today compared to yesterday is very different. Yesterday at this point with the same usage I was at 70%. Today Im at 82%. I think that directly related to the radio tweaks in the T-Mobile variant. Also, last night I lost 2% while sleeping for 7 hours. On the unlocked version I lost 12% while sleeping almost 8 hours. Again, I contribute that to the signal bouncing around.
    Any wifi calling with the T-Mobile variant??
    06-08-2017 12:37 PM
187 1234 ...