10-10-2017 11:41 PM
187 ... 5678
tools
    Yeah figured as much, probably just frustrate me more. I see the unlocked versions overseas have received the update just not here in the US. Maybe Samsung has a deal with the carriers here to update their devices as soon as the update is available and ready. Unlocked get them when they have time, sucks but probably true.
    I still feel the unlocked versions are worth buying. Even after owning the US unlocked S7 Edge, I still bought the unlocked S8+ and will continue doing that each year.
    TheDonJ77 and mary beth hale like this.
    07-21-2017 10:22 AM
    I still feel the unlocked versions are worth buying. Even after owning the US unlocked S7 Edge, I still bought the unlocked S8+ and will continue doing that each year.
    True, hopefully we get over the next few days
    07-21-2017 10:25 AM
    I'm fine with delayed normal security updates because I don't do anything on my phone that compromises security. But we still don't have the option to hide the nav buttons or whatever it's called. That's the update I'm waiting on.
    dunamis and mary beth hale like this.
    07-21-2017 10:58 AM
    I'm so torn over what to do.

I can buy unlocked from BB now at $700 and use my Tmobile sim in with wifi calling.

Tmobile themselves are charging $800 plus tax.

Samsung have the tmobile variant but it won't arrive before I go on vacation.

The top option looks like a no brainier. But I am nervous that the battery won't be as good and it won't be optimised for full speeds with Tmobile because it is a generic variant.

First world problems. But ARGH!!

Plus the Best Buy sale ends tomorrow so time is limited. HELP!!!
    07-21-2017 08:54 PM
    I'm so torn over what to do.

I can buy unlocked from BB now at $700 and use my Tmobile sim in with wifi calling.

Tmobile themselves are charging $800 plus tax.

Samsung have the tmobile variant but it won't arrive before I go on vacation.

The top option looks like a no brainier. But I am nervous that the battery won't be as good and it won't be optimised for full speeds with Tmobile because it is a generic variant.

First world problems. But ARGH!!

Plus the Best Buy sale ends tomorrow so time is limited. HELP!!!
    I had the unlocked and switched to the t-mobile variant. I get slightly better battery on the T-Mobile one but it's not enough to care. Signal for me has been better on the T-Mobile variant, especially on maintaining bad 4 and 12. The biggest advantage of the T-Mobile variant is faster updates.

The unlocked version does have call filtering built in but you can install hiya from the app store and be fine. Any of T-Mobiles bloat can be disabled with package disabler pro in the app store.

The unlocked variant is good but for me it was worth getting the T-Mobile version for the improved signal in my area.
    07-21-2017 09:01 PM
    This is swaying me because the TMo signal in my place is a bit trash.
    Oh well, it'll only be an extra $120
    07-21-2017 09:11 PM
    I had the unlocked and switched to the t-mobile variant. I get slightly better battery on the T-Mobile one but it's not enough to care. Signal for me has been better on the T-Mobile variant, especially on maintaining bad 4 and 12. The biggest advantage of the T-Mobile variant is faster updates.

The unlocked version does have call filtering built in but you can install hiya from the app store and be fine. Any of T-Mobiles bloat can be disabled with package disabler pro in the app store.

The unlocked variant is good but for me it was worth getting the T-Mobile version for the improved signal in my area.
    Speeds on T-Mobile have been amazing for me hitting as high as 160Mbps. The battery is also outstanding for me averaging 2-3 days with 8-10 hours screen time.
    07-21-2017 09:23 PM
    Speeds on T-Mobile have been amazing for me hitting as high as 160Mbps. The battery is also outstanding for me averaging 2-3 days with 8-10 hours screen time.
    All depends on the area. For me I need band 12 in my house and the unlocked couldn't maintain a consistent connection to it. It would switch between 4 and 12 as I watched it. My T-Mobile one stays on 12 like it should.

As for battery, it was comparable but definitely better on the T-Mobile version. I'm on the regular 8 and can get 7 1/2 to 8 hours regularly.

The updates were a big concern as well and what were seeing is the same as previous versions where updates weren't consistent.
    07-21-2017 09:28 PM
    Yeah I agree, as big as Samsung is, they have no backbone when it comes to the carriers. It's a shame
    There shouldn't be any carrier garbage on Samsung devices. No carrier logo at bootup, no carrier apps.
    True, hopefully we get over the next few days
    07-21-2017 10:11 PM

Does anyone know if the ATT variant has caller ID/screening built in like the unlocked? I assumed this was built into all of the variants...
    07-21-2017 10:49 PM
    Does anyone know if the ATT variant has caller ID/screening built in like the unlocked? I assumed this was built into all of the variants...
    It's only on the unlocked version. Carriers have their own call screening. The unlocked Samsung version was pretty good. I believe it was powered by hiya.
    DamianP likes this.
    07-21-2017 10:52 PM
    It's only on the unlocked version. Carriers have their own call screening. The unlocked Samsung version was pretty good. I believe it was powered by hiya.
    Yeah I have the unlocked version and I agree it's very good. I was contemplating getting the ATT branded variant but that's another reason not to.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    07-21-2017 11:28 PM
    This is on the unlocked version or the TMo variant?
    07-22-2017 12:02 AM
    This is on the tmobile version or the unlocked?
    07-22-2017 12:02 AM
    This is on the tmobile version or the unlocked?
    Unlocked.

Going back to my S7 Edge, it was also unlocked and I also had a T-Mobile S7 edge. The unlocked version always got much faster speeds on it as well. I don't have a T-Mobile S8+ to compare with my unlocked S8+ so I can't compare the two but I would be surprised to find out the unlocked is faster as well.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    07-22-2017 02:49 AM
    I wouldn't own the S8 if it wasn't unlocked. I need a compelling reason to get a carrier-branded device, and getting a security update sooner ain't it.

On my 3rd provider with my S8. I can't really put a price on that flexibility.
    mary beth hale and DamianP like this.
    07-22-2017 05:14 PM
    I am on AT&T and just got the July update.
    07-22-2017 05:35 PM
    I just bought the Coral Blue unlocked S8+ from Best Buy today. It was $675. The only thing I'm disappointed in is that it does not have the updated navigation bar and there was no software update after I set it up.
    07-22-2017 07:19 PM
    I just bought the Coral Blue unlocked S8+ from Best Buy today. It was $675. The only thing I'm disappointed in is that it does not have the updated navigation bar and there was no software update after I set it up.
    Yep just picked up a Midnight Black S8+ at BestBuy today. They are having a sale.....$574.99 for the S8 and $674.99 for the S8+. Not a bad deal at all.

I too am hoping for the update that enables the ability to make the nav bar disappear. Just had the international S8 a few days ago and had that ability, but the lack of Samsung Pay and some other things are why I switched to the U.S. unlocked version.
    07-22-2017 08:26 PM
    Speeds on T-Mobile have been amazing for me hitting as high as 160Mbps.
    Agree. I just got 197 down. Crazy.
    07-23-2017 06:51 PM
    Yep just picked up a Midnight Black S8+ at BestBuy today. They are having a sale.....$574.99 for the S8 and $674.99 for the S8+. Not a bad deal at all.

I too am hoping for the update that enables the ability to make the nav bar disappear. Just had the international S8 a few days ago and had that ability, but the lack of Samsung Pay and some other things are why I switched to the U.S. unlocked version.
    I found a fix for the Nav Bar. Works like a champ.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-...eeded-0177297/
    07-23-2017 09:46 PM
    07-24-2017 03:37 AM
    Can any with the unlocked version on T-Mobile tell me if you have Mobile Hotspot, and if it works? Im about to flash the unlocked version and thats the only thing I cant find an answer on.
    07-24-2017 07:50 AM
    Can any with the unlocked version on T-Mobile tell me if you have Mobile Hotspot, and if it works? Im about to flash the unlocked version and thats the only thing I cant find an answer on.
    Hotspot does work perfectly with T-Mobile.
    TylerLV76 likes this.
    07-24-2017 09:25 AM
    Hotspot does work perfectly with T-Mobile.
    Thank you
    07-24-2017 09:26 AM
187 ... 5678