Did anyone buy the Unlocked version yet?

tonestert

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
One issue with the unlocked versions that Samsung support just told me is Samsung Premium Care is not yet available for them.

Has anyone else with an unlocked version tried to sign up?

I just tried and I got the following message:

Sorry, this device is not compatible with this Protection Plus plan.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

Yep thats the message I got. I called them again to verify it wasnt some glitch and got the same response. Its not offered yet and they arent sure when it will be. They both told me to expect it to be a couple months before the system accepts unlocked devices. I asked them both what happens if I break it before the insurance is offered and got told very clearly, I will have to pay for any repairs in full before I can get premium care.

This has me questioning whether to keep the unlocked version or not. I got mine extremely cheap from Best Buy and really dont want another T-Mobile version for over $200 more.

anon(632186)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone noticing better performance and battery life on the unlocked. Id love to see a screen shot of preloaded apps if possible as well. Just curious what comes standard on it. Thanks!

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Is anyone noticing better performance and battery life on the unlocked. Id love to see a screen shot of preloaded apps if possible as well. Just curious what comes standard on it. Thanks!
The only preloaded stuff is Samsung connect, galaxy apps, facebook and the couple Google things like Google now and duo. I did a reset before setting mine up and had the option to install the Samsung stuff like vr, health etc. I didn't add any of that stuff.

As for battery life, it's still early for me but seems to drain about the same as the T-Mobile variant did but standby seems better.

The few things I notice on T-Mobile using the unlocked is no hdvoice icon in calls but still sounds the same. Ive had the WiFi and LTE icon appear at the same time a few different times. There's a couple new settings I didn't have on the T-Mobile version but I can't remember what they were (saw them late last night). Smart calling is kinda nice. The phone seems a bit snappier.

It's very nice not having any carrier stuff since the T-Mobile app was draining my battery on the T-Mobile variant. The one down side is this insurance issue. I may have to get a squaretrade plan if I stick with unlocked.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Great. I think the two things I’m looking for is smoother and less bloat :)
I'll be honest, the smoothness may just be my imagination.

On my T-Mobile S8+ I had lag pretty bad in the menus and recent apps list. On my T-Mobile S8 I had none. On the unlocked variant I have no lag or hiccups at all but little things like opening the settings and restarts seem a little quicker. I'm sure it's very minimal if at all.

The big thing for me is the bloat. T-Mobile hardly has any but that stupid T-Mobile app drives me insane so I'm very happy to not have to deal with it.

Updates are a concern but if they don't come I'll flash the T-Mobile firmware.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
This is what I really want to know, I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my S7E to an S8/S8+ but not sure if I should go with the T-Mobile variant or the unlocked version.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
One issue with the unlocked versions that Samsung support just told me is Samsung Premium Care is not yet available for them.

Has anyone else with an unlocked version tried to sign up?

Well this is dump lol. What in the world are you thinking Samsung?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Well this is dump lol. What in the world are you thinking Samsung?
They claim it's because the insurance company they use is carrier based so it takes longer for them to accept unlocked versions.

I'm really liking the unlocked version alot more than the T-Mobile one but this lack of insurance is an issue. I've never dealt with squaretrade before so I don't know how I feel going that route.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
They claim it's because the insurance company they use is carrier based so it takes longer for them to accept unlocked versions.

I'm really liking the unlocked version alot more than the T-Mobile one but this lack of insurance is an issue. I've never dealt with squaretrade before so I don't know how I feel going that route.
Good info. Thanks for sharing.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I like to tinker with things ))
It takes 5 minutes tops to do it
But the software doesn't have that much bloat and feels little more snappier than Carrier version , and I like not seeing the Carrier crap when phone restarts but most people wouldn't see too much of difference

Do you happen to have a link to the instructions on going from unlocked to the T-mobile firmware and back to unlocked? Im trying to decipher all the info on XDA and getting really really confused.

tonestert

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Yep thats the message I got. I called them again to verify it wasnt some glitch and got the same response. Its not offered yet and they arent sure when it will be. They both told me to expect it to be a couple months before the system accepts unlocked devices. I asked them both what happens if I break it before the insurance is offered and got told very clearly, I will have to pay for any repairs in full before I can get premium care.

This has me questioning whether to keep the unlocked version or not. I got mine extremely cheap from Best Buy and really dont want another T-Mobile version for over $200 more.

If you pay your phone bill with a Wells Fargo credit card they will insure your phone up to $600.00 with a $25.00 deductible. I'm going to do this.

Link:https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/features/cell-phone-protection/

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
If you pay your phone bill with a Wells Fargo credit card they will insure your phone up to $600.00 with a $25.00 deductible. I'm going to do this.

Link:https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/features/cell-phone-protection/

Unfortunately I dont use a Wells Fargo card. I used my Best Buy MC and now Im strongly regretting that. Had I used my Amex card I would get 90 days accidental coverage which would probably have been enough time for Samsung to get their act together.

Ive sent some questions to SquareTrade and depending on those Ill probably use them until premium care is available. The thing I dont get is if you have say 3 repairs that will end your coverage since they will fulfill the policy, can you repurchase a new plan or are you SOL? Not sure if anyone on here knows the answer to that but if so, let me know.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
download Prince Odin , flash the fully unlocked where he had it linked to Google drive ..now if it don't flash you might have to go in Odin and where it says options click also phone bootloader update then your good to go, Now if you you want to go back to tmobile download the files from sammobile and use Odin

tonestert

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I dont use a Wells Fargo card. I used my Best Buy MC and now Im strongly regretting that. Had I used my Amex card I would get 90 days accidental coverage which would probably have been enough time for Samsung to get their act together.

Ive sent some questions to SquareTrade and depending on those Ill probably use them until premium care is available. The thing I dont get is if you have say 3 repairs that will end your coverage since they will fulfill the policy, can you repurchase a new plan or are you SOL? Not sure if anyone on here knows the answer to that but if so, let me know.

You don't have to use a Wells Fargo card to buy the phone. All you have to is get a Well Fargo card and pay your cellular bill with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz