Did anyone buy the Unlocked version yet?

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Ahh ok so the trend of US unlocked devices not getting security continues :(

I worked in a production/process environment and I can almost guarantee you that we (unlocked people) are not getting these before the carriers because one (or a few) person has it sitting on their desk somewhere waiting to press a button but hasn't gotten around to it yet. Where I work there's thousands of customers who are affected by my daily actions and sometimes I just get behind on other stuff or can't get to things right away.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I worked in a production/process environment and I can almost guarantee you that we (unlocked people) are not getting these before the carriers because one (or a few) person has it sitting on their desk somewhere waiting to press a button but hasn't gotten around to it yet. Where I work there's thousands of customers who are affected by my daily actions and sometimes I just get behind on other stuff or can't get to things right away.
That's so messed up, I can understand if it's a few days or heck even few weeks. But the S7 US unlocked was months behind so it's just pure incompetence on Samsung part.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Is there someone we can complain to via Samsung as to why carrier versions get software updates before the unlocked version? Or do we just have to eat it?? Seems really backwards, it's the reason why I purchased unlocked!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Is there someone we can complain to via Samsung as to why carrier versions get software updates before the unlocked version? Or do we just have to eat it?? Seems really backwards, it's the reason why I purchased unlocked!

You can try and complain to Samsung on their support forums.

Last year with the US unlocked S7 edge, they said on their support forums that the US unlocked S7 Edge would get updates quarterly and then later said that they were going to try and make the updates more frequent and that never happened.

I wouldn't expect much really.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
You can try and complain to Samsung on their support forums.

Last year with the US unlocked S7 edge, they said on their support forums that the US unlocked S7 Edge would get updates quarterly and then later said that they were going to try and make the updates more frequent and that never happened.

I wouldn't expect much really.

Yeah figured as much, probably just frustrate me more. I see the unlocked versions overseas have received the update just not here in the US. Maybe Samsung has a deal with the carriers here to update their devices as soon as the update is available and ready. Unlocked get them when they have time, sucks but probably true.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah figured as much, probably just frustrate me more. I see the unlocked versions overseas have received the update just not here in the US. Maybe Samsung has a deal with the carriers here to update their devices as soon as the update is available and ready. Unlocked get them when they have time, sucks but probably true.

I still feel the unlocked versions are worth buying. Even after owning the US unlocked S7 Edge, I still bought the unlocked S8+ and will continue doing that each year.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm fine with delayed normal security updates because I don't do anything on my phone that compromises security. But we still don't have the option to hide the nav buttons or whatever it's called. That's the update I'm waiting on.

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm so torn over what to do.

I can buy unlocked from BB now at $700 and use my Tmobile sim in with wifi calling.

Tmobile themselves are charging $800 plus tax.

Samsung have the tmobile variant but it won't arrive before I go on vacation.

The top option looks like a no brainier. But I am nervous that the battery won't be as good and it won't be optimised for full speeds with Tmobile because it is a generic variant.

First world problems. But ARGH!!

Plus the Best Buy sale ends tomorrow so time is limited. HELP!!!

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm so torn over what to do.

I can buy unlocked from BB now at $700 and use my Tmobile sim in with wifi calling.

Tmobile themselves are charging $800 plus tax.

Samsung have the tmobile variant but it won't arrive before I go on vacation.

The top option looks like a no brainier. But I am nervous that the battery won't be as good and it won't be optimised for full speeds with Tmobile because it is a generic variant.

First world problems. But ARGH!!

Plus the Best Buy sale ends tomorrow so time is limited. HELP!!!
I had the unlocked and switched to the t-mobile variant. I get slightly better battery on the T-Mobile one but it's not enough to care. Signal for me has been better on the T-Mobile variant, especially on maintaining bad 4 and 12. The biggest advantage of the T-Mobile variant is faster updates.

The unlocked version does have call filtering built in but you can install hiya from the app store and be fine. Any of T-Mobiles bloat can be disabled with package disabler pro in the app store.

The unlocked variant is good but for me it was worth getting the T-Mobile version for the improved signal in my area.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I had the unlocked and switched to the t-mobile variant. I get slightly better battery on the T-Mobile one but it's not enough to care. Signal for me has been better on the T-Mobile variant, especially on maintaining bad 4 and 12. The biggest advantage of the T-Mobile variant is faster updates.

The unlocked version does have call filtering built in but you can install hiya from the app store and be fine. Any of T-Mobiles bloat can be disabled with package disabler pro in the app store.

The unlocked variant is good but for me it was worth getting the T-Mobile version for the improved signal in my area.

Speeds on T-Mobile have been amazing for me hitting as high as 160Mbps. The battery is also outstanding for me averaging 2-3 days with 8-10 hours screen time.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Speeds on T-Mobile have been amazing for me hitting as high as 160Mbps. The battery is also outstanding for me averaging 2-3 days with 8-10 hours screen time.
All depends on the area. For me I need band 12 in my house and the unlocked couldn't maintain a consistent connection to it. It would switch between 4 and 12 as I watched it. My T-Mobile one stays on 12 like it should.

As for battery, it was comparable but definitely better on the T-Mobile version. I'm on the regular 8 and can get 7 1/2 to 8 hours regularly.

The updates were a big concern as well and what were seeing is the same as previous versions where updates weren't consistent.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site

Does anyone know if the ATT variant has caller ID/screening built in like the unlocked? I assumed this was built into all of the variants...

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone know if the ATT variant has caller ID/screening built in like the unlocked? I assumed this was built into all of the variants...
It's only on the unlocked version. Carriers have their own call screening. The unlocked Samsung version was pretty good. I believe it was powered by hiya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze