10-10-2017 11:41 PM
187 123 ...
tools
    The unlocked version for the US was released a few days ago. Has anyone purchased it yet? Does wifi calling work?
    06-04-2017 05:00 PM
    I have the tmobile version, but i flashed the unlocked version and it does work ..
    06-04-2017 05:08 PM
    I have the tmobile version, but i flashed the unlocked version and it does work ..
    I got the Tmobile version and it works great. I was just curious. Usually Tmobile works with Samsung unlocked phones wifi calling. I did have the unlocked V20 and wifi calling didn't work on it.'

The reason I decided not to buy the unlocked s8 was because of how horrible Samsung is with rolling out updates on their unlocked phones so I decided to just pre order the tmobile one instead.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    06-04-2017 06:22 PM
    Yeah that's why I'm happy can flash either way thank god for Odin right lol... I left my s7 edge on the unlock software works great ,the only options missing is video calling or read message but nothing to go back on
    06-04-2017 06:36 PM
    Yeah I got the US unlocked from best buy couple of days back, like how there is no trace of any carrier stuff. But yeah updates are big concern on the unlocked model.

For anyone interested the S8+ US unlocked model is SM-G955U1 and it's shipping with April security update. I believe the carrier ones are on May? So already lagging behind to begin with.

06-04-2017 07:21 PM
    Yeah I got the US unlocked from best buy couple of days back, like how there is no trace of any carrier stuff. But yeah updates are big concern on the unlocked model.

For anyone interested the S8+ US unlocked model is SM-G955U1 and it's shipping with April security update. I believe the carrier ones are on May? So already lagging behind to begin with.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9ccc3dc7da.jpg
    Really? That is very good to know as I was about get ready to buy an unlocked regular size S8 and I had no idea they released updates late to their unlocked devices. That helps a lot. I think I'm going to stick with my Honor 8 until the S8 goes on sale like the S7s are now. As fast as Sammy releases phones it should not be too terribly long off lol. Plus that is a good reason to save $800 bucks too. Plus I watched a YouTube review on the S8 and no wireless charging and no IR Blaster. Not that big of a deal but for a device that is right at a $1000 dollars, not one feature should be lacking. I was surprised no wireless charge. I want one none the less but the lack of updates, that bothers me for that type of cash to drop. I love how it feels in one hand though so who knows what I'll end up doing. For now I'm going to hold off for a sale on a unlocked one.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-04-2017 07:53 PM
    Really? That is very good to know as I was about get ready to buy an unlocked regular size S8 and I had no idea they released updates late to their unlocked devices. That helps a lot. I think I'm going to stick with my Honor 8 until the S8 goes on sale like the S7s are now. As fast as Sammy releases phones it should not be too terribly long off lol. Plus that is a good reason to save $800 bucks too. Plus I watched a YouTube review on the S8 and no wireless charging and no IR Blaster. Not that big of a deal but for a device that is right at a $1000 dollars, not one feature should be lacking. I was surprised no wireless charge. I want one none the less but the lack of updates, that bothers me for that type of cash to drop. I love how it feels in one hand though so who knows what I'll end up doing. For now I'm going to hold off for a sale on a unlocked one.
    Yeah it was same for S7 US unlocked model, no regular security updates and OS updates months behind carrier versions. It'll be same for S8 until they prove otherwise.
    06-04-2017 07:55 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9ccc3dc7da.jpg
    Mine is on April still as well (Verizon version).
    Attached Thumbnails Did anyone buy the Unlocked version yet?-screenshot_20170605-002140.jpg  
    06-04-2017 11:22 PM
    Mine is on April still as well (Verizon version).
    Did any carrier get May update or every variant is on April?
    06-04-2017 11:23 PM
    Did any carrier get May update or every variant is on April?
    I haven't seen any carriers get an update that does the security patch. There was one for the pink screen fiasco (mine never had this issue) but that's it.
    bhatech likes this.
    06-04-2017 11:24 PM
    Does the Verizon version work on sprint ?
    06-05-2017 12:22 PM
    Yeah that's why I'm happy can flash either way thank god for Odin right lol... I left my s7 edge on the unlock software works great ,the only options missing is video calling or read message but nothing to go back on
    What is the advantage of the unlocked version since you went to the trouble of flashing it?
    06-05-2017 01:12 PM
    I like to tinker with things ))
    It takes 5 minutes tops to do it
    But the software doesn't have that much bloat and feels little more snappier than Carrier version , and I like not seeing the Carrier crap when phone restarts but most people wouldn't see too much of difference
    06-05-2017 01:43 PM
    Anyone running the unlocked version on AT&T? Are you seeing VoLTE? I'm not worried about WiFi calling.
    06-05-2017 03:27 PM
    Still April security patch on ATT phone
    06-05-2017 07:06 PM
    Yeah it was same for S7 US unlocked model, no regular security updates and OS updates months behind carrier versions. It'll be same for S8 until they prove otherwise.
    Bhatech, how many phones is that for you recently? I'm jealous. I like to switch, but you are far ahead.
    06-05-2017 07:14 PM
    Bhatech, how many phones is that for you recently? I'm jealous. I like to switch, but you are far ahead.
    Let me say I'm not proud of myself

Got to control the urge of buying all these new stuff. I envy people who don't care about this stuff and go on with their life in a normal way.
    Law2138 likes this.
    06-05-2017 07:29 PM
    Does the Verizon version work on sprint ?
    It shouldn't.
    06-05-2017 09:55 PM
    According to Sprint Help Support, the Samsung S8 and S8+ are fully allowed to become Unlocked devices by taking to a local Sprint Store after 50 days of use. Apparently it's one of the FEW devices that are capable/allowed to do this, even by Sprint's own proprietary/greedy standards.
    06-06-2017 01:33 AM
    One issue with the unlocked versions that Samsung support just told me is Samsung Premium Care is not yet available for them.

Has anyone else with an unlocked version tried to sign up?
    06-06-2017 08:09 AM
    One issue with the unlocked versions that Samsung support just told me is Samsung Premium Care is not yet available for them.

Has anyone else with an unlocked version tried to sign up?
    I just tried and I got the following message:

Sorry, this device is not compatible with this Protection Plus plan.
    06-06-2017 12:36 PM
    I just tried and I got the following message:

Sorry, this device is not compatible with this Protection Plus plan.
    Yep thats the message I got. I called them again to verify it wasnt some glitch and got the same response. Its not offered yet and they arent sure when it will be. They both told me to expect it to be a couple months before the system accepts unlocked devices. I asked them both what happens if I break it before the insurance is offered and got told very clearly, I will have to pay for any repairs in full before I can get premium care.

This has me questioning whether to keep the unlocked version or not. I got mine extremely cheap from Best Buy and really dont want another T-Mobile version for over $200 more.
    06-06-2017 12:40 PM
    Is anyone noticing better performance and battery life on the unlocked. Id love to see a screen shot of preloaded apps if possible as well. Just curious what comes standard on it. Thanks!
    06-06-2017 02:18 PM
    Is anyone noticing better performance and battery life on the unlocked. Id love to see a screen shot of preloaded apps if possible as well. Just curious what comes standard on it. Thanks!
    The only preloaded stuff is Samsung connect, galaxy apps, facebook and the couple Google things like Google now and duo. I did a reset before setting mine up and had the option to install the Samsung stuff like vr, health etc. I didn't add any of that stuff.

As for battery life, it's still early for me but seems to drain about the same as the T-Mobile variant did but standby seems better.

The few things I notice on T-Mobile using the unlocked is no hdvoice icon in calls but still sounds the same. Ive had the WiFi and LTE icon appear at the same time a few different times. There's a couple new settings I didn't have on the T-Mobile version but I can't remember what they were (saw them late last night). Smart calling is kinda nice. The phone seems a bit snappier.

It's very nice not having any carrier stuff since the T-Mobile app was draining my battery on the T-Mobile variant. The one down side is this insurance issue. I may have to get a squaretrade plan if I stick with unlocked.
    06-06-2017 02:29 PM
    Great. I think the two things I’m looking for is smoother and less bloat
    06-06-2017 02:31 PM
187 123 ...