My S8+, firmly encased in the Samsung flip case cracked on one corner in the back. I have no idea why. There is a thread about one cracking in the back from the Gear VR. Maybe it happened then, and I didn't notice, although I think I would have noticed. I put a claim in through AT&T (Assurion) insurance, and my replacement has already shipped on two day air, but I wish I knew what happened. I have had Samsung after Samsung, and they have dropped on a concrete floor with no screen protector with no harm. And this is supposed to be better Gorilla Glass. I just don't know; I had better super baby my new one.

Sad Story : My S8+ cracked. Oh Why????-p_20170604_182943-2-.jpg
    Sad Story : My S8+ cracked. Oh Why????-p_20170604_182953.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Sad Story : My S8+ cracked. Oh Why????-p_20170604_182953.jpg  
    06-04-2017 05:46 PM
    No offense, but that didn't happen in the VR. Obvious point of impact there...
    crzycrkr, vwite and Alan Sims like this.
    06-04-2017 05:55 PM
    It's my understanding the gorilla glass is on the front, not sure about the back. Sorry about the cracks but at least you had presence of mind to have insurance.
    06-04-2017 06:01 PM
    Really looks like there​ was an impact on the bottom left corner. Not trying to start anything. Maybe someone else dropped it and put it back in the case without saying anything?
    crzycrkr likes this.
    06-04-2017 06:09 PM
    definitely dropped heat or pressure would look different
    06-04-2017 06:19 PM
    You're all probably correct, but it is always in the case. And nobody else has touched this. It's gotta be me.
    06-04-2017 07:16 PM
    It's my understanding the gorilla glass is on the front, not sure about the back.
    https://www.corning.com/gorillaglass...xy-s8plus.html:

The Samsung Galaxy S8+ has a brilliant 6.2” Quad HD+ Infinity Display. Its compact design enables comfortable one-handed operation and Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5 on both the front and back for durability and a high-quality finish.
    06-05-2017 06:55 AM
    You're all probably correct, but it is always in the case. And nobody else has touched this. It's gotta be me.
    Phones can easily break when dropped, even with a case. But it's odd if you're not aware of it having ever fallen.
    06-05-2017 06:57 AM
    Oh well whatever happened happened, nothing you can do about it now. Replacement on the way I hope...
    06-05-2017 08:07 AM
    Stress crack from case pressure not a drop
    06-05-2017 08:29 AM
    Stress crack from case pressure not a drop
    no chance, thats not from case pressure. there is an obvious point of impact
    06-05-2017 08:39 AM
    I just wish these damn phone manufacturers would stop putting glass on the back of phones. Back in the day when they were not doing this you never had to worry about breaking/cracking glass on the back side of the phone.
    06-05-2017 09:22 AM
    Thanks for the clarification!
    06-05-2017 10:14 AM
    That's no stress crack, that is from a drop. I've had two windows blow out from heat stress, one in one of our RV's and the other was the glass in our front storm door and neither one looked anything like that. Glad to hear you have insurance and are getting it replaced.
    06-05-2017 11:46 AM
    I just wish these damn phone manufacturers would stop putting glass on the back of phones. Back in the day when they were not doing this you never had to worry about breaking/cracking glass on the back side of the phone.
    There are plenty of options with not having a glass back phone. I'm interested in why you think none of us should have the option?
    06-05-2017 01:56 PM
    Personaly if un-seen with a case on and everything else checked out good I would have not filed a claim in-stead i would have sucked it up and waited....
    06-05-2017 02:12 PM
    Tell me, what possible benefit can there be for having a glass backed phone? There are other materials that can, and do, look premium and still maintain a good signal, or even allow for wireless charging and are able to offer way better protection than any glass. So not only is glass stupid, but curved glass is even more stupid. No debate about it!
    novice and Nemesis-X like this.
    06-05-2017 05:04 PM
    Is there a cost attached to the replacement phone?
    06-05-2017 06:10 PM
    Tell me, what possible benefit can there be for having a glass backed phone? There are other materials that can, and do, look premium and still maintain a good signal, or even allow for wireless charging and are able to offer way better protection than any glass. So not only is glass stupid, but curved glass is even more stupid. No debate about it!
    Possible benefit? Samsung sells a bunch of phones. So the benefit is, the public is buying them.
    06-05-2017 06:21 PM
    There's plenty of debate. I totally disagree with you. I think Glass phones are awesome. There are plenty of other options for you to buy something else. Don't like them? Go buy something else.
    06-05-2017 07:13 PM
    I have a Gear VR for the 8+. That looks like it was dropped on the corner IMO. No apparent way the Gear VR could cause that unless put in with display facing out.

Regardless of how, hope it gets fixed to avoid it spreading.
    06-06-2017 01:12 PM
    In my opinion flip cases don't offer much protection. My brother had one. When I saw his I decided against it. Definitely looks like it dropped on the corner.
    06-06-2017 04:08 PM
    I want to provide some hope. I cracked my S8+ today and called Samsung I was completely honest to the agent and apologized for my clumsiness and told her I was ready to pay for it. To my surprise she put me on hold and told Samsung provided me a free repair. Honesty goes a long way!

deadbeatles and bassplayrguy like this.
    06-06-2017 04:53 PM
    To be honest cases mostly make you feel better. They don't offer a whole lot of protection for drops unless it's one of those super bulky ones. I'm not saying there's no protection whatsoever, but not nearly what people think. They offer lots of protection from scratches obviously.
    06-06-2017 05:43 PM