Sprint Galaxy S8 Won't charge from my car's USB port.

maniaque

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
Using the USB port from my Kia Forte with standard USB cable with the supplied USB C adapter, and the phone won't charge. Battery indicator shows the charging icon, but the charge level continues to plummet as if not connected at all.

If I use my normal "cigarette lighter" (not sure what the official name of this is) port cord with the same USB C adapter it works fine.

What's the deal with that? :confused:

thanks,
Karl

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Using the USB port from my Kia Forte with standard USB cable with the supplied USB C adapter, and the phone won't charge. Battery indicator shows the charging icon, but the charge level continues to plummet as if not connected at all.

If I use my normal "cigarette lighter" (not sure what the official name of this is) port cord with the same USB C adapter it works fine.

thanks,
Karl

I get this daily. I use an Anker cable and Aukey QC 3.0 fast charger. I've noticed this happens whenever it gets really hot inside the truck. Once it cools down then the charger works.

I never noticed this with my S6 so I'm thinking it's an S8 thing. It's not just this charger either, it happens in any car that's super hot. It's definitely the phone, not the charger or cable.

Sometimes after reseating the charger it starts to work, but usually it won't do anything except get hot until it cools down.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site

thanks,
Karl

Your Kia's USB port is most likely not a USB power port nor a data port, it's simply an audio-in only port. It'll be wired specifically as an input for the sound system.
Stick with your cigarette-lighter and adapter for charging.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Your Kia's USB port is most likely not a USB power port nor a data port, it's simply an audio-in only port. It'll be wired specifically as an input for the sound system.
Stick with your cigarette-lighter and adapter for charging.

Ok I completely missed the part about it being an actual car USB port. I was thinking a cigarette lighter plug.

maniaque

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
In my apartment there are usb outlets on a couple of the power outlets in our living room area, same issue. My devices that charge from standard usb charge fine when plugged into either the car or the house usb outlets, but not this usb c, either with the provided usb c cord or with the usb c adapter with the standard usb cord. Must be more sensitive. Progress?

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
The standard for a USB data connection requires a device does not draw more than 500 mA. To draw more power, a signal must be provided to the device indicating it is a dedicated charger. The simplest version of this is to short the data pins together in the charger. There is a another type of signaling listed on the USB standard, but I didn't fully understand it. I suspect at least one additional type of signaling exists to deal with quick charging. If the manufacture of a car decided they were only designing for USB sticks to be plugged in, chances are they didn't include any type of signaling capability to allow a larger power draw.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately, car designers don't have access to the most up to date devices when designing their cars. They usually are about a generation or two behind. Furthermore, because there is a perception that MOST people use iPhones instead of Android, the power and data are optimized for iPods and iPhones. When I plugged my S8+ into my Equinox, it wouldn't read my 256GB microSD card, which is where all my music is stored. To play my music, I had to connect through BT. Which is not as convient as going through the USB port.

TheyCallMeBT

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Everyone has covered the issue pretty well above. I was just going to add that I never depend on USB power plugs on different appliances (car, wall outlet, lamp, desk, etc.). You're better off with the wall brick and the car charger.

So just go on Amazon and buy yourself a car charger and you'll be in great shape. Get one that specifically says quick charge. It'll cost a few dollars more, but totally worth it. Here's a few that look to be good options.

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Charge...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5854929

https://www.amazon.com/Charge-AUKEY...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5854929

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Charge...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5854929

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
In my apartment there are usb outlets on a couple of the power outlets in our living room area, same issue. My devices that charge from standard usb charge fine when plugged into either the car or the house usb outlets, but not this usb c, either with the provided usb c cord or with the usb c adapter with the standard usb cord. Must be more sensitive. Progress?

Those may be limited as well. Keep in mind the chargers that come with these phones have only been around for what, 2 years? Automakers and other manufacturers (like those wall outlets) lag behind the tech sector by several years. I'd wager neither your car nor your house USB parts provide enough power to charge. Heck, I still remember the original LTE phones where it would be plugged into a lighter adapter and still not be able to pull enough power, causing the battery to go down even if you weren't using it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2