Hey guys, recently upgraded to this 2017 phone .... that works as well as a 1997 phone when it comes to syncing.

For some reason, my Gmail and Email (for hotmail) apps are not syncing automatically. Neither one downloads new emails.

The Gmail app doesn't appear to have an option for choosing how often to sync, it just has a "Sync" option that I have checked. When I swipe down in my inbox to refresh, it downloads new emails.

The Email app has an option for syncing, which I've chosen once an hour. Well, this never syncs. Ever. Not even when I manually refresh the inbox. I never get new emails.

The fact that both Gmail and Email don't sync leads me to believe the problem isn't with the server, Google or Hotmail, but instead with the phone or the settings. This is very frustrating, and, well, embarrassing. I can't read my emails on a brand new 2017 phone.

Please help! Anything is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    robmidi likes this.
    06-06-2017 06:47 PM
    It's probably the settings. One thing I did is when setting up my email accounts is to set up Gmail as one in the email app. Therefore I don't use the Gmail app itself. I prefer having all email accounts visible when opening the "email" app. Recently, something happened where I suddenly stopped getting any Gmail. Had to "remove" the account and set it up again. Then it started working again. I have mine all set to frequency of hourly. It sounds like a setting for sure.
    06-06-2017 06:58 PM
    Also, try sending a test mail from one account to another. If it doesn't make it, double check server settings for each account. Imap, pop3, etc., and of course passwords.
    06-06-2017 07:07 PM
    The gmail app itself has sync issues . It's not the phone. I run my gmail through Bluemail and it syncs correctly through that-no delays.
    06-07-2017 04:28 AM
    Also as it was stated at the other post. Try clearing cache and re installing each email account.
    06-07-2017 09:31 AM
    I use Inbox instead of the Gmail app without issue. Make sure your Google account is syncing properly. You'll have to go into the account settings on the phone and check to make sure there are no sync issues (!).
    06-09-2017 08:09 AM
    it could also be that the app has been optimised for battery life. In that case it will not sync until you open it. had his problem with Gmail, Allo and Google photos on my wife's phone.
    06-09-2017 08:23 AM
    As others have stated the Gmail app isn't working right. I use inbox from Google and it syncs real time just like Gmail used to. As far as the email app for the phone that only syncs on a schedule u set up. I don't use it so I'm not too familiar with it.
    06-09-2017 09:25 AM
    This has gotten really annoying with the Gmail app. It'll show a counter with a new email on the sidebar. And you'll be on that account and it shows no emails (I do inbox zero). So you have to pull down to refresh and get it to pull the new email.

So Inbox by Google works? Does it add new accounts under settings, or does it just go by the Google accounts you're already signed in with?
    06-09-2017 05:30 PM
    This has gotten really annoying with the Gmail app. It'll show a counter with a new email on the sidebar. And you'll be on that account and it shows no emails (I do inbox zero). So you have to pull down to refresh and get it to pull the new email.

So Inbox by Google works? Does it add new accounts under settings, or does it just go by the Google accounts you're already signed in with?
    It goes by whichever gmail accounts you have synced to your phone and you can customize the notifications for each account. I've also used Alto by aol and email by a developer named easily do. Both were good alternatives.
    06-13-2017 10:25 AM
    You can also use MailDroid which seems to be working fine for Gmail and has been around since 2010
    06-13-2017 01:28 PM
    Well Inbox by Google has been a little better. But it still is lagging on notifications or not showing them.
    06-13-2017 06:22 PM