Hello All.

My brother and I both have Galaxy S8s. On his phone, when the screen is locked and AOD is on, if someone texts him, the notification comes through at the top of the AOD screen without lighting up the whole screen. You can see a brief preview of the message. He uses the Samsung Messages app. On my phone, when someone texts me under the same scenario, the AOD kicks off and it lights up my lock screen. Does anyone know how to change to the setting that is on my brothers phone? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    06-07-2017 03:05 PM
    It depends on both a setting and the app you're using. Your brother probably has the 'Edge Lighting' option enabled in his settings, which show up a glowing edge and small preview (if your Privacy Settings allow it) instead of the pop-up notification. This option also keeps your screen from lighting up entirely while using AOD.

However, if your texting app has a specific setting for this, either for heads-up notifications or to specifically light up the screen when a text is received, those settings might override the one from the phone and still light up your screen.
    06-07-2017 03:40 PM
    It depends on both a setting and the app you're using. Your brother probably has the 'Edge Lighting' option enabled in his settings, which show up a glowing edge and small preview (if your Privacy Settings allow it) instead of the pop-up notification. This option also keeps your screen from lighting up entirely while using AOD.

However, if your texting app has a specific setting for this, either for heads-up notifications or to specifically light up the screen when a text is received, those settings might override the one from the phone and still light up your screen.
    That was the ticket! The Edge Lighting needed to be turned on. Thanks!
    SpookDroid likes this.
    06-07-2017 05:14 PM
    I love this because it gets rid of the (in my opinion) annoying heads-up notifications that we are unable to disable in these new builds (before you could still get notified and just turn off Heads Up...now it's all or nothing). Plus it looks darn nice!
    06-07-2017 05:29 PM