Can I change autocorrect aggressiveness setting?

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
This has been the most aggressive autocorrect I've ever seen. I can't type the letters "um" without it changing to "I'm" and no matter how many times I go back and change it back it will not allow me to type "um" and just leave it at that. :mad: This is true for some other words and phrases too.

So I held down the microphone button, entered the setting and turned off Auto Replace.

BUT, sometimes I WANT it to auto replace some things, namely I want it to automatically replace contractions without my having to type the apostrophe. (Why the hell isn't the apostrophe on the first page of the keyboard?)

Instead of turning it completely off, is there a way that I can't just change the level of aggressiveness. I know this was a feature on past keyboards, but I don't see anything in this version of android.

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Also, I turned on Auto Spellcheck, which I believe is supposed to underline misspelled words, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I don't want to install some 3rd party keyboard, but I'm considering it now.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's no way I can locate to change the sensitivity. However, you could add "um" to your personal dictionary. I've done that with a few oddball words, and it works well.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Settings > General Management > Language and Input > Personal Dictionary. There are options for languages, if you use more than one.

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
It's just crazy to me that settings and customizability that was available to me on my old phone running Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) are gone, either on this version of Android or maybe only this model phone.

I guess I'm just going to have to install a 3rd party keyboard because the Samsung stock keyboard on this phone is a major PITA.

That's what kills me about the S8. It's replete with these little annoying Ps in the A that you can't change and you have to somehow circumvent. Watch, installing a different keyboard will somehow cause all sorts of problems.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually, a different keyboard seems to be the difference. My apologies -- the Personal Dictionary seems to be attached to my keyboards. I installed the BlackBerry keyboard immediately after setting up the device. It and Gboard both give the dictionary.

Screenshot_20170608-223052.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay