Temporarily back to 16:9 screen, and I like it

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
My S8+ is off for repair, and I'm using my S7 Edge in the meantime. I absolutely hate the Edge, I always have. But there's one redeeming quality I never noticed until using the S8+. The 16:9 aspect ratio. It's so much better than the 18 whatever on the S8's. I thought I liked the new ratio until going back. I was watching YouTube, and the screen seems bigger than the S8+ even though I know it isn't. Oh, and I have completely gotten used to the back placement of the FPS on the S8+, but the front on the Edge is a joy to use, even though it sucks as a FPS. Just so much easier.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
You thought the S7 Edge FPS sucked? I thought it was great. The S5 sucked. Where you had to swipe hour finger across the sensor. It was trash and I never used it. They got it right with the S6 and the S7 models were just as good. I prefer the button on the back and though I originally hated the location of the S8 plus FPS, I've now gotten used to it. I've also gotten used to the new ratio but I agree, I think I like the old one better.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
You thought the S7 Edge FPS sucked? I thought it was great. The S5 sucked. Where you had to swipe hour finger across the sensor. It was trash and I never used it. They got it right with the S6 and the S7 models were just as good. I prefer the button on the back and though I originally hated the location of the S8 plus FPS, I've now gotten used to it. I've also gotten used to the new ratio but I agree, I think I like the old one better.

Yeah, I think it's awful. Sometimes I rest my finger on it and it unlocks. Sometimes I have to press it to unlock. People around here hate Apple, but they honestly have unlocking down pat. I've never used anything as good as my 7 Plus in that regard.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I think it's awful. Sometimes I rest my finger on it and it unlocks. Sometimes I have to press it to unlock. People around here hate Apple, but they honestly have unlocking down pat. I've never used anything as good as my 7 Plus in that regard.

If you think Apples FPS is good you should try Huawei, specifically the Mate 9. Its as if their FPS knows your finger is coming and starts unlocking before you touch it. The G6 is super fast also and perfect placement for it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
If you think Apples FPS is good you should try Huawei, specifically the Mate 9. Its as if their FPS knows your finger is coming and starts unlocking before you touch it. The G6 is super fast also and perfect placement for it.

I think it's the Taptic Engine I love on the 7 series iPhones. There's something perfect about it.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. The Honor 8 was ridiculously fast as well.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for sharing @msm0511 😃 That's very interesting. A lot of people say they love the new aspect ratio but I think going back to something we have been used to for many years is definitely nice and almost nostalgic if I can say that.

The FPS on the front is definitely nicer but if the sensor was a little lower on the back then I wouldn't mind either. I'm sure when you go back to your S8 you will love it again. 😃

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
My S8+ is off for repair, and I'm using my S7 Edge in the meantime. I absolutely hate the Edge, I always have. But there's one redeeming quality I never noticed until using the S8+. The 16:9 aspect ratio. It's so much better than the 18 whatever on the S8's. I thought I liked the new ratio until going back. I was watching YouTube, and the screen seems bigger than the S8+ even though I know it isn't. Oh, and I have completely gotten used to the back placement of the FPS on the S8+, but the front on the Edge is a joy to use, even though it sucks as a FPS. Just so much easier.

I have the opposite experience, I love the location of the fps. Never liked it on the front of my note 5. Watching videos I just expand to the edges and the black bars disappear. Love the bigger screen on this 8+

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I have the opposite experience, I love the location of the fps. Never liked it on the front of my note 5. Watching videos I just expand to the edges and the black bars disappear. Love the bigger screen on this 8+
It's not the bars, I do the same. Expand the videos. It just seems smaller for some reason. I think 16:9 is better for video honestly. The rest of the time I like the aspect ratio. It's just video I don't like.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I thought the same thing and still would, but I use a lot of the emulators and like how most of the controls are on the black bar sides. This format is perfect for emulators, but is about it since most content is not this format.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site

My YouTube uses full screen on my S8+. No bars. S7 Edge definitely doesn't look larger than this screen in full use.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
It's not the bars, I do the same. Expand the videos. It just seems smaller for some reason. I think 16:9 is better for video honestly. The rest of the time I like the aspect ratio. It's just video I don't like.

Just put the S8+ and S7 Edge together both on YouTube. S8+ much bigger video. I like it. Apps just have to catch up to this ratio.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Just put the S8+ and S7 Edge together both on YouTube. S8+ much bigger video. I like it. Apps just have to catch up to this ratio.

If the iPhone does not go wide, we might not see this happen except for Android specific apps and not video or web content. The current install base of wide phones it a tiny overall fraction of device and will remain so for a few years. Especially if the iPhone does not go wide.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I think 16:9 as of right now is still a logical choice to make.

The problem is that 18:9 and 18.5:9 are still very new aspect ratios, with support for them only starting to appear.

It remains to be seen just how well these are supported, and whether there will be further fragmentation such as the Essential PH-1, LG G6 and Galaxy S8 having different aspect ratios.

Huawei has excellent fingerprint sensors. Extremely fast and very accurate. Misfires are pretty rare.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

S8 is only much wider in landscape. Edge is wider so when it's in portrait the edge screen is taller, hence the screen on the edge looks bigger in landscape. I'd prefer a taller screen for watching videos in landscape instead of short and long.

kbz1960

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site

The problem is that 18:9 and 18.5:9 are still very new aspect ratios, with support for them only starting to appear.

It remains to be seen just how well these are supported, and whether there will be further fragmentation such as the Essential PH-1, LG G6 and Galaxy S8 having different aspect ratios.

Huawei has excellent fingerprint sensors. Extremely fast and very accurate. Misfires are pretty rare.
First FPS using my moto z play droid and it's fast and works every time so far. I've done 4 fingers.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I think 18:9 and 18.5:9 aren't really different ratios considering that the .5 is often considered for the soft buttons on the Samsung and probably the upcoming iPhone. I do feel this is the way it goes and I hate to say it, but if Apple adopts it - then it'll be a foregone conclusion. I think Essentials 19:10 is an outlier.

I'm not sure about 16:9 being the 'logical' choice. So far I've heard only two real benefits that people have voiced about for the 16:9 phone is that there is no black bars on the left and right side when viewing 16:9 video. Is this really an issue where folks are willing to not buy a phone because of the annoying extra space that could possibly be made useful? The other being that the phone would possibly be less tall - which is debatable when comparing the S8/S8+ to other phones that would otherwise have this extra space used by a bezel.

So in my view, I don't see what people are losing from going with 18:9 over 16:9 other than some aesthetics when viewing 16:9 uncropped format.