Does the S8 have quick charge 3.0 or 4.0?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Everything Ive read shows the 835 has the ability to do 4.0 but Samsung limits the S8/+ to 2.0. I saw one rep state it does 3.0 but most reps dont really know what they're talking about when it comes to technical specs.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Everything Ive read shows the 835 has the ability to do 4.0 but Samsung limits the S8/+ to 2.0. I saw one rep state it does 3.0 but most reps dont really know what they're talking about when it comes to technical specs.

Kinda disappointed. I was excited when Qualcomm stated that you can get 5 hours with 5 minutes of charging.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Kinda disappointed. I was excited when Qualcomm stated that you can get 5 hours with 5 minutes of charging.

Yeah that claim is not true lol. Just like most phones that say "In 10 minutes get X hours of life!" are usually very untrue. Sure you get battery life if the phone sits idle .. But 5 minutes of charge and then me watching my usual streams on it would not make it last 5 hours more.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Imo i don't really care what quick charge version i have wether it be samsung's adaptive charging or quick charge 2-3 or 4 i think it charges pretty darn fast and i like it that way. Plus, most people i know usually charge their phones at night so yeah probably not the most important feature to have imho.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Imo i don't really care what quick charge version i have wether it be samsung's adaptive charging or quick charge 2-3 or 4 i think it charges pretty darn fast and i like it that way. Plus, most people i know usually charge their phones at night so yeah probably not the most important feature to have imho.
Agreed. Mine sits on a standard charging wireless charger at night while I sleep. Haven't needed to use quick charging yet.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Just because you see QualComm advertise new QuickCharge upgrade, it doesn't mean any phone that has the latest chip... in this case the SD 835... will support the lastest QuickCharge tech. The phone needs the new PMIC chip that goes along with the new processor. I mentioned elsewhere the S8 uses another PMIC so it doesn't have QC4.0. As mentioned elsewhere, it has what is an 'equivalent' of QC 2.0.

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
My old LG V10 charged completely in 55 minutes with the same size battery as the standard S8 and it used quick charge 2.0 I believe. Its a phone that will be 2 years old in November 2017 and still charges faster than the brand new S8. It doesn't really matter though because the battery life is much better on the S8 so I usually just put it on my wireless fast charging stand overnight and that's it. I don't usually need to top it off at some point during the day.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It still isn't true to life. Just like the Pixel's claim to charge for 15 minutes to get tons of life isn't true. It is for extreme use cases such as charging enough to have the phone work as a phone .. But not 5 minutes of charge and you can watch 5 hours of streaming LTE video on it.. Sorry .. No. Please see the quote below taken directly from their site on how the 5 hours of battery life claim is strictly for talk time only and not actual usage.

Quick Charge is designed to allow devices to support 5 hours of talk time with 5 minutes of charging. Actual results may vary depending on device design. [updated 11/22/16]

Those tests are also based on a 2.7k mAh battery.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The S8 and S8+ both support Qualcomm QC 2.0. QC 3.0 and 4.0 chargers will still work because they are backwards compatible, but the 2.0 efficiency and speed are what actually takes place. @Almeuit is correct about the rest of it.

The Pixel XL peak charging speed is approximately .59 mAh/s, so in 15 minutes it will gain roughly .59*60*15 = 531 mAh, or 15.4% of it's battery from where you started. Take that value of 15.4%, multiply it by your normal time that a full charge will grant you, and that's how much life you just got back. For me, my average charge is about 36 hours down to about 25%. So using 75% of the battery, at 36 hours, the device's full potential is around 48 hours for my usage. 15.4% of that is roughly 7.4 hours of my average usage, so charging for 15 minutes for me is about 7.4 hours of increased usage. That's not 7.4 hours of screen on time though, my average usage is about 5 hours in that 36 hours, so I should expect to get 5/36*7.4 = 1.02, or only about another hour of SOT out of 15 minutes of charging. Replace my values with your actual usage, and that's how well the XL would do you with 15 minutes of charging.

That charging speed is very close to the aggregate charging speed of QuickCharge 2.0, otherwise I would have shut up 100 words ago. You can replace .59 with .55 and 3450 with 3500 and you get 14.1% charge per 15 minutes. A value that's very close to 1/7, so I would just approximate 1/7 instead of doing the calculation exact and just remember you're shortchanging the final value by a minute amount.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
The S8 and S8+ both support Qualcomm QC 2.0. QC 3.0 and 4.0 chargers will still work because they are backwards compatible, but the 2.0 efficiency and speed are what actually takes place. @Almeuit is correct about the rest of it.

The Pixel XL peak charging speed is approximately .59 mAh/s, so in 15 minutes it will gain roughly .59*60*15 = 531 mAh, or 15.4% of it's battery from where you started. Take that value of 15.4%, multiply it by your normal time that a full charge will grant you, and that's how much life you just got back. For me, my average charge is about 36 hours down to about 25%. So using 75% of the battery, at 36 hours, the device's full potential is around 48 hours for my usage. 15.4% of that is roughly 7.4 hours of my average usage, so charging for 15 minutes for me is about 7.4 hours of increased usage. That's not 7.4 hours of screen on time though, my average usage is about 5 hours in that 36 hours, so I should expect to get 5/36*7.4 = 1.02, or only about another hour of SOT out of 15 minutes of charging. Replace my values with your actual usage, and that's how well the XL would do you with 15 minutes of charging.

That charging speed is very close to the aggregate charging speed of QuickCharge 2.0, otherwise I would have shut up 100 words ago. You can replace .59 with .55 and 3450 with 3500 and you get 14.1% charge per 15 minutes. A value that's very close to 1/7, so I would just approximate 1/7 instead of doing the calculation exact and just remember you're shortchanging the final value by a minute amount.

h24B786E2.jpg

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Why would you miss it? You sold your S8 and got a phone with a removable battery right? How would you miss something you already have?

Edit: I miss Samsung phones with removable batteries. They're great phones, but no removable batteries means you can't keep it longer for 1-2 years without the battery crapping out. Would've kept my S6 ACTIVE if it had a removable battery, phone was great still.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
lol sorry; long story short, the phone charges at roughly 1% per minute average when charged via the official charger or a QC 2.0 compliant charger.

They have the option to have the feature but Samsung probably wants to play it safe, can't afford another battery mishap.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
No phone has QC 4.0 yet. I am hoping for a software update to enable it. Not that it really matters I have so many other chargers I doubt I would by a QC 4.0 charger and rarely need to bump charge like that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance