08-31-2018 05:08 PM
119 1234 ...
tools
    I think that might be a defective panel.

My Moto Z also uses what's presumably a Samsung AMOLED panel and I've had it for over 8 months and it hasn't showed signs of burn-in.

There might be some, but it's quite faint.

S8 burn in: it finally happened-img_6283.jpg
    06-12-2017 09:52 PM
    The only burn I've ever had on an Oled panel was the battery icon on my old S4.
    06-12-2017 10:11 PM
    I am not even slightly concerned about it
    crzycrkr likes this.
    06-13-2017 06:11 AM
    As others have said, Samsung have put a lot of work into making their AMOLED screens much more resistant to burn in. I guess this user just got a bad screen and I'm sure the replacement will be fine. Unfortunately this is one of the trade-offs (at the moment) when it comes to beautiful AMOLED displays. 😃
    06-13-2017 06:32 AM
    My friends S7 has a permanent pink keyboard burnt in. Took 6 months to happen. He bought the S7 due to the note issues. He said he's never had burn in on any note he's ever had

Posted via the Android Central App
    It's that bright themed default keyboard. I'd probably use a darker color next time.
    06-13-2017 09:09 AM
    I'll admit, it's possible; at this point highly unlikely, but possible. I think we will see the truth come out in about 5 more months.
    06-13-2017 10:29 AM
    If look at a solid wallpaper in full screen mode i can the notification bar and navigation bar including the outline of the home button. Especially on a light gray background.
    06-13-2017 10:48 AM
    It is impossible for an LCD screen to have burn in or retention. Sorry. But this is why I prefer LCD over amoled.
    flyingkytez likes this.
    06-13-2017 12:30 PM
    Without any further information about the picture, I come to two conclusions..

1) That is, indeed, 'burn in'.... Well, it's not really burn... screens don't burn anymore, cathode ray tube displays burned. THat is a sign that some of the pixels are starting to wear and no longer capable of producing their full brightness. All AMOLED displays do this, period... nothing you can do to avoid it, you can only reduce how quickly they degrade by keeping the brightness down. And different color pixels degrade quicker than others... I think blue pixels degrade significantly quicker than the other colors. the holy grail is to get all the different colors to degrade at the same time so you won't see any burn in... the screen will just start to evenly darken over time.

2) I doubt, HIGHLY doubt, that this is a consumer-used device and it is most likely a display model. Display model phones are often running a demo at full brightness 24/7. Poor thing's probably has a few thousand hours of screen time under its belt.

NEVER buy a floor model phone...not unless the thing's fresh out of its box and barely used. You are rolling the dice there.
    06-13-2017 03:04 PM
    I don't worry about it, been using Samsung since the S3 and still haven't had burn in.

I wonder if it's because I keep my screen brightness low, max brightness hurts my eyes to look at the screen unless I'm outside.
    06-13-2017 03:53 PM
    It is impossible for an LCD screen to have burn in or retention. Sorry. But this is why I prefer LCD over amoled.
    No, it is not impossible. Leave a static image long enough on ANY display and it will burn in
    jjinal and Fille84 like this.
    06-13-2017 03:53 PM
    That is entirely incorrect. My LG V10 did it, and if you google search it's a common problem on LG phones.

This was how my V10 would look after about 20 minutes of navigation running.

Would I buy another LG phone in the future, possibly. This is why we have warranties and one reason I have insurance on my phones through Verizon. This phone was fine for the first year and a half. I had Verizon send me a warranty replacement and the new one was fine for the couple months I used it until I upgraded to the S8. I still have the V10 as a backup phone for me and the wife in case we break or lose a phone or something. Again, I also saw some image retention on the display model S8 at my local Verizon store and this was before the phone was even available to buy, and I still decided to purchase one. If my S8 develops a problem it would get fixed or replaced under warranty or an insurance claim through Verizon. I prefer the look of the OLED's screens by far and cannot wait for OLED TV's to be affordable so I can get one.
    06-13-2017 09:16 PM
    That's not quite right.

While LCDs are much less likely to have permanent burn-in, they do suffer from a temporary condition that we know as image retention. We call them differently because one is permanent and affects CRTs, plasmas and OLEDs while the other commonly affects LCDs and is temporary.

A general rule on any display is to not display large static elements for an extended period of time and in the case of OLED, trying not to crank the display to its maximum brightness often to extend the lifespan of the organic compounds.
    06-14-2017 01:04 AM
    I wonder if this new update is to address this issue OP posted.

The article said that you can no longer use a fully black navigation bar background?!

Black is the best color for the bar IMO. So have to use white??

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/06/14...ar-background/

Some guy reported it (see pictures). Anyone else worried about this? Do you use yours at max brightness? Wonder how long it'll take until it burns in at the bottom...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.andro...ue-768623/amp/

Attachment 261841

Here's how to hide the nav bar for those that are paranoid: How to hide the navigation and status bars on the Galaxy S8

EDIT: Here's the original reddit post. It is indeed real! Reddit user: Kougeru

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/co...ottom-comments
    06-14-2017 10:30 AM
    I wonder if this new update is to address this issue OP posted.

The article said that you can no longer use a fully black navigation bar background?!

Black is the best color for the bar IMO. So have to use white??

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/06/14...ar-background/
    Taking away the black bar does not sit well with me. I don't want white, grey or any other light color at all. I want black and that's it. I don't care If it's going to degrade the button pixels faster than the nav bar. I won't have the phone long enough to care.

Grrrrr
    06-14-2017 10:38 AM
    LOL...more fear, doom and gloom of what "might" happen down the road.

Does anyone just enjoy their phone anymore?
    06-14-2017 10:46 AM

Is anyone just enjoy their phone anymore?
    If people just enjoyed their phones there would be no forums lol
    21538940075 likes this.
    06-14-2017 02:55 PM

Is anyone just enjoy their phone anymore?
    That utopia doesn't exist, my friend.
    06-14-2017 06:36 PM
    If people just enjoyed their phones there would be no forums lol
    Sure there would. But it would be filled with actual problems, not imaginary ones lol

Yay...let's all be concerned about burn in which may happen a year from now but probably won't.
    06-14-2017 07:16 PM
    Sure there would. But it would be filled with actual problems, not imaginary ones lol

Yay...let's all be concerned about burn in which may happen a year from now but probably won't.
    Depends

Some can suffer from premature burn-in, usually from use that's far more aggressive than most people will ever push their phones to.
    06-14-2017 09:22 PM
    Well, if you're one of those types that need a phone that does 5 or 6 hours SOT because they actually use it all day and use it that much... that's pretty agressive. If you're the type that flips between 5-6 apps like fb, insta, snap, texting for most of that time then that could cause burn/impression.

Just surprising they force an update like that so fast... Maybe their testing is showing something and being proactive... no argument one of the most amazing looking screens when showing full color images... probably the best OLED as far as output... but with pink screens and maybe this over time... maybe not the most robust OLED design as far as longevity.

Depends

Some can suffer from premature burn-in, usually from use that's far more aggressive than most people will ever push their phones to.
    06-14-2017 09:46 PM
    Burn in on AMOLED happens guys. It happened on my BlackBerry PRIV after about 10 months and the privs use Samsung amoleds.
    BlackBerry virtual keyboard has dark keys and the keyboard area was brighter than the normally white background text / chat area backgrounds, and the black bars top and bottom were brighter and the buttons and time / battery areas were darker. BlackBerry replaced it under warranty, and even the replacement unit started exhibiting it a few months later.
    On my S8 I no longer crank up the brightness. It's ones if those things that don't affect how you use the phone but when you do notice it, it starts driving you nuts. Lol
    Having said that, the person must be on their phone steady for a long time with brightness cranked up for it to happen this soon.
    There is also temporary image retention that I've seen happen, but that goes away a couple of minutes after switching images.
    06-14-2017 09:51 PM
    Easy to say if you switch phones once or twice a year lol With flagships at $800+ that's something I can't do if I pay full price.

06-14-2017 09:55 PM
    Burn in on AMOLED happens guys. It happened on my BlackBerry PRIV after about 10 months and the privs use Samsung amoleds.
    BlackBerry virtual keyboard has dark keys and the keyboard area was brighter than the normally white background text / chat area backgrounds, and the black bars top and bottom were brighter and the buttons and time / battery areas were darker. BlackBerry replaced it under warranty, and even the replacement unit started exhibiting it a few months later.
    On my S8 I no longer crank up the brightness. It's ones if those things that don't affect how you use the phone but when you do notice it, it starts driving you nuts. Lol
    Having said that, the person must be on their phone steady for a long time with brightness cranked up for it to happen this soon.
    There is also temporary image retention that I've seen happen, but that goes away a couple of minutes after switching images.
    Photos of when it happened to my Priv

S8 burn in: it finally happened-1497495728984.jpgS8 burn in: it finally happened-1497495732755.jpgS8 burn in: it finally happened-1497495735463.jpgS8 burn in: it finally happened-1497495738113.jpg
    06-14-2017 10:02 PM
    Hey Johnny, you have both the G6 and S8 right? Let me ask ya...

OLEDs always have the rep of the best blacks... the 'inkiest' black and I can see that and in full color pics, the S8 screen just POPS if you do a side by side with G6 even though the G6 is no slouch... full color high detail are amazing... maybe more true to color type look to it compared to the poping colors on S8.

But what is your opinion comparing whites on the S8 and G6 or even i7?

Every time I do a side by side of a S8 and G6, the only thing that bothers me is when you do a side by side (I'll bring up the messaging app to get a white background to compare)... G6 white is WHITE WHITE... and the S8 always just doesn't look as white. Just seems it has a hint of red or orange or something... like a dull or like an antique white.

I've gone to many different stores... BBs, AT&T stores... always a side by side, demo vs demo... and the whites on the G6 are just whiter.

Do you see that also with your phones?

flyingkytez likes this.
    06-14-2017 10:08 PM
119 1234 ...