S8 burn in: it finally happened

johwto

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
I don't believe it at all. You'd have to go way out of your way to get burn in and it's much more difficult to do on modern displays than even 2-3 years ago. Also, Samsung specifically engineered their software to be able to be "always on" and not cause burn in ... so my vote is abuse of the device until proven otherwise.

Well then they did a crap job of engineering. my phone has burn in and i havent used it any differently then any other phone over the past 10 years.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey Johnny, you have both the G6 and S8 right? Let me ask ya...

OLEDs always have the rep of the best blacks... the 'inkiest' black and I can see that and in full color pics, the S8 screen just POPS if you do a side by side with G6 even though the G6 is no slouch... full color high detail are amazing... maybe more true to color type look to it compared to the poping colors on S8.

But what is your opinion comparing whites on the S8 and G6 or even i7?

Every time I do a side by side of a S8 and G6, the only thing that bothers me is when you do a side by side (I'll bring up the messaging app to get a white background to compare)... G6 white is WHITE WHITE... and the S8 always just doesn't look as white. Just seems it has a hint of red or orange or something... like a dull or like an antique white. :-\

I've gone to many different stores... BBs, AT&T stores... always a side by side, demo vs demo... and the whites on the G6 are just whiter.

Do you see that also with your phones?

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've owned all of the Samsung phones. After a period of time, I start to get annoyed with the AMOLED panels. Photo editing always throws off the actual color, especially when you view the final edited photo on a LCD screen. When I had a Samsung, I envy IPS LCD screens because whites look much more satisfying. I think HTC makes AMAZING S-LCD screens, it looks very sharp (HTC 10 looked nice), LG is second with their Quantum IPS. Another thing is being paranoid about screen burn in, with LCD I don't care if the screen is on for hours. The keyboard is what will burn in first, especially since the default theme is white.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I know exactly what you're talking about. I've owned all of the Samsung phones. After a period of time, I start to get annoyed with the AMOLED panels. Photo editing always throws off the actual color, especially when you view the final edited photo on a LCD screen. When I had a Samsung, I envy IPS LCD screens because whites look much more satisfying. I think HTC makes AMAZING S-LCD screens, it looks very sharp (HTC 10 looked nice), LG is second with their Quantum IPS. Another thing is being paranoid about screen burn in, with LCD I don't care if the screen is on for hours. The keyboard is what will burn in first, especially since the default theme is white.
So having an accurately calibrated display makes your photos look wrong? Something is wrong with your monitor then, not the S8. LGs displays are horribly inaccurate next to the competition except for the Nexus 5X, which was calibrated much better.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So having an accurately calibrated display makes your photos look wrong? Something is wrong with your monitor then, not the S8. LGs displays are horribly inaccurate next to the competition except for the Nexus 5X, which was calibrated much better.

Ask any photographer if they would rather edit on an LCD monitor or AMOLED.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ask any photographer if they would rather edit on an LCD monitor or AMOLED.
Any of them who know anything at all about their craft is going to prefer an ACCURATE display. The type of display doesn't matter at all for still photos, only the resolution and color accuracy matter.

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
5a4c75f56c7509618b0c8a2437fe7349.jpg

I finally have screen burn in at the bottom. I'm not sure if the screenshot will show it. I don't have screen burn in of the actual nav buttons but the top of the nav bar.

I keep my brightness at about 3/4ths. Samsung should just get rid of the nav bar box and let it just be the nav symbols.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh wow! Just saw those pictures. Perhaps it's also dependent upon specific models; and then there are other variables to consider, such as how high the brightness is turned up, how much the phone is used, if navigation bar is always open for specific apps, etc.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Any of them who know anything at all about their craft is going to prefer an ACCURATE display. The type of display doesn't matter at all for still photos, only the resolution and color accuracy matter.

AMOLED screens by default are enhanced so colors would pop. There's a setting to set it back to "standard".

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
AMOLED screens by default are enhanced so colors would pop. There's a setting to set it back to "standard".

Really trying to understand where you're getting this. Do you have something you were reading that has all this incorrect information, or is it just based on what Samsung phones traditionally have done out of the box or something else?

To try to make this as brief as possible, there are very few real differences in LCD vs *LED displays. The main difference is how the display is lit. LCDs have a backlight that turns on all pixels all the time while *LED displays turn on only pixels that need to display colors that are not black. LEDs also have the advantage of being able to be individually dimmed or brightened to enhance the accuracy of colors being produced with RGB sub pixels.

But, there are no inherent color differences in the displays. That's all up to the color mode and calibration of the display in each mode. Or, as we go into devices shipping with Android O, the OS will dictate exactly which colors will be displayed through OS level color management. An LCD and LED display that are calibrated exactly the same will display exactly the same colors. One will not be skewed or shifted by the nature of the type of display, aside from any production errors in the panel itself.

Currently the most accurate display on the market is the iPhone 7/7+, which is an LCD. The second and third most accurate are both Samsung devices, the S8/S8+ and the S7/S7 Edge, which are both AMOLED. The only reason the iPhone is winning that battle is because Apple took the time to individually calibrate each display as perfectly as possible.

It is impossible to look at only the type of display and make any correct assumption about which one will have more accurate colors.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Really trying to understand where you're getting this. Do you have something you were reading that has all this incorrect information, or is it just based on what Samsung phones traditionally have done out of the box or something else?

To try to make this as brief as possible, there are very few real differences in LCD vs *LED displays. The main difference is how the display is lit. LCDs have a backlight that turns on all pixels all the time while *LED displays turn on only pixels that need to display colors that are not black. LEDs also have the advantage of being able to be individually dimmed or brightened to enhance the accuracy of colors being produced with RGB sub pixels.

But, there are no inherent color differences in the displays. That's all up to the color mode and calibration of the display in each mode. Or, as we go into devices shipping with Android O, the OS will dictate exactly which colors will be displayed through OS level color management. An LCD and LED display that are calibrated exactly the same will display exactly the same colors. One will not be skewed or shifted by the nature of the type of display, aside from any production errors in the panel itself.

Currently the most accurate display on the market is the iPhone 7/7+, which is an LCD. The second and third most accurate are both Samsung devices, the S8/S8+ and the S7/S7 Edge, which are both AMOLED. The only reason the iPhone is winning that battle is because Apple took the time to individually calibrate each display as perfectly as possible.

It is impossible to look at only the type of display and make any correct assumption about which one will have more accurate colors.

Why does my face in pictures look more orange on AMOLED panels? My face isn't that orange in real life.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Why does my face in pictures look more orange on AMOLED panels? My face isn't that orange in real life.

4 possibilities:

1) The camera took a poor picture
2) The display is poorly calibrated or in an inaccurate mode
3) Both 1 & 2
4) Due to the lighting, etc. your face may have actually looked like that at the time

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
4 possibilities:

1) The camera took a poor picture
2) The display is poorly calibrated or in an inaccurate mode
3) Both 1 & 2
4) Due to the lighting, etc. your face may have actually looked like that at the time
I see it all the time in a photography FB group I'm in.

"Why do all of my pictures look orange/yellow/etc on my phone, but they looked fine on my computer (some even mention having a calibrated monitor)?"

I'll ask if their phone is a Samsung or other AMOLED device. 9 times out of 10, their answer is yes. AMOLED's may be getting better, but they have traditionally given various tints on their screens. And yes, I have tried several different color modes when I could mess around with one. Still, none would show true white and was less accurate than a LCD.

Heck, I exchanged my first smartphone (Droid Razr) because I thought it was defective with a horrible green AMOLED tint. When I brought it into the store, the clerk first said he didn't see anything wrong. When I showed him a comparison to an LCD phone, he said, "Oh that's normal." I pretty much swore off anything AMOLED that day and forked over the restocking fee to get the Bionic instead.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Still, none would show true white and was less accurate than a LCD.

Than which LCD? If you're talking vs an iPhone 7+ or Nexus 5X, you're right. Otherwise, the latest two generations of Samsung flagships are still beating back most LCDs on colors, blacks, grays and white point.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Than which LCD? If you're talking vs an iPhone 7+ or Nexus 5X, you're right. Otherwise, the latest two generations of Samsung flagships are still beating back most LCDs on colors, blacks, grays and white point.
I'm comparing my experience to prior phones, like the S6 I tried in a store and my wife's S7. Whenever I compare whites on them to mine, it's no contest which was more "white," and that's my biggest concern. I compared the LG V20, G4, and HTC One M8 to AMOLED flagships out at their respective times.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm comparing my experience to prior phones, like the S6 I tried in a store and my wife's S7. Whenever I compare whites on them to mine, it's no contest which was more "white," and that's my biggest concern. I compared the LG V20, G4, and HTC One M8 to AMOLED flagships out at their respective times.

Just as an example from that, the G4 and M8 are both listed on this chart with some of the other phones out at the time of the G4's review:

WhitePoint.png

So the most accurate device of that period, on the sole measurement of white accuracy, was the iPhone 6 (small one), which was nearly perfect (.17% deviation) - but the S6 Edge was only .05% further away from perfect than the iPhone 6. The Note 4 and Nexus 6 also did great despite being AMOLED, while the M8 was 12.5% away from perfect, compared to the Nexus 6 (which was widely talked about as having a horrible display) at 4.5% away from perfect. The G4 was 17.45% away from perfect.

Not to single out only this one measurement though, the G4 does terrible on all metrics for display, not just white point. It's bad at GMB, Saturation Accuracy, Grayscale Accuracy, White Point, etc. It does do okay at max brightness and contrast ratio, for an LCD, obviously something that AMOLED displays are naturally better at.

I think this is one of those cases where some people prefer warmer or cooler displays and it's coloring the perception, pun not intended. A lot of people prefer really terrible displays, but in terms of what is actually most accurate, there really isn't a rule that LCD or LED does better by default. It's all about the calibration.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers