How to retrieve cleared notifications?

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
I had a bunch of notifications that I cleared, and right as I clicked "Clear All" I noticed one that I wanted to check, but it was too late.

I looked up how to retrieve cleared notifications, but the advice all involves some "Settings" widget. The problem is there is no such thing on the S8 (not mine anyway).

So...how do I find the "notification log" on the S8, if something like that even exists?

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I had a bunch of notifications that I cleared, and right as I clicked "Clear All" I noticed one that I wanted to check, but it was too late.

I looked up how to retrieve cleared notifications, but the advice all involves some "Settings" widget. The problem is there is no such thing on the S8 (not mine anyway).

So...how do I find the "notification log" on the S8, if something like that even exists?
I'm very interested too. Had one app bit didn't work well. Forgot the name...

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
This works on a Nexus (with the Google launcher), try it on your device, but it may not work.

Long-press a blank area of the home screen, select to add a widget. Scroll through the widgets until you find the Settings widget, long-press that and drag it to your home screen. This should then pop up a list of settings you can add, one would be the Notification Log.

Screenshot_20170612-205101.jpg
Screenshot_20170612-205017.jpg

Here is what you get:
Screenshot_20170612-205418.jpg

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, most Samsung devices don't include that widget. You can always try with Nova launcher and search for the notification log under widgets - Nova Activities.

Archaean X

Apr 3, 2018
Visit site
Yeah, most Samsung devices don't include that widget. You can always try with Nova launcher and search for the notification log under widgets - Nova Activities.
Sorry for this late reply. I wanted to thank you for posting this solution.
this is the best way, because it shows past notifications, unlike other apps.

Venomous Scars

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
Sorry for this late reply. I wanted to thank you for posting this solution.
this is the best way, because it shows past notifications, unlike other apps.

I can't get it to show me notifications at all. Please help!

Ok so its not that I can't get it to show me notifications. I dont know how to get it to show me notifications

Last edited by a moderator:

Radu Stanculescu

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
The steps you were given aren't complete. As said before, you need to get to the Activities widget from Nova Launcher. Then scroll down to "Settings", tap on that, and again scroll down through that list until you get to Notification Log.

thechina

Jul 5, 2018
Visit site
The steps you were given aren't complete. As said before, you need to get to the Activities widget from Nova Launcher. Then scroll down to "Settings", tap on that, and again scroll down through that list until you get to Notification Log.

You are a genius. Thanks for following up on the question and the providing the (slightly more detailed) instructions. I don't know if they helped the other person, but they helped me (reading the whole thread for the first time today). The notification log is not too easy to read and I can't click on it, but at least i can get the general idea. Thanks.

Jaxinvt1

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
If nothing else works, try Unnotification app by Nasah Apps in the play store. It worked beautifully for me. When you first launch the app it'll ask permission. Scroll down to unnotification to allow permission. That's it!

I'm on a Galaxy S8

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I use an app named "Recent Notifications" it hides them until you either clear or set a limit (I have mine set to 100 notifications for each app I believe)

speedy101

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
You are a genius. Thanks for following up on the question and the providing the (slightly more detailed) instructions. I don't know if they helped the other person, but they helped me (reading the whole thread for the first time today). The notification log is not too easy to read and I can't click on it, but at least i can get the general idea. Thanks.

Install Nova Launcher and start the Nova Launcher

Now hold the screen so you can select the Nova Launcher Widgets

now select: ACTIVITIES - shortcut ( put this Widget/Shortcut on your screen by holding it).
(it will open the Shortcut automatically)

In this list(Activities) go to SETTINGSand open this.
now go to "NOTIFICATIONS LOG" and select

your screen how has the Notification log Icon.

Select the icon and there is the log

ps: to Switch back to the "default SAMSUNG UI/One UI HOME" -> Choose Nova Settings. -> Select @ "select default Launcher"

ps: do not try Unnotification etc apps because i haven't managed to get OLD logs back. Only newly created ones.

tonysamperi

Apr 7, 2021
Visit site
Install Nova Launcher and start the Nova Launcher

Now hold the screen so you can select the Nova Launcher Widgets

now select: ACTIVITIES - shortcut ( put this Widget/Shortcut on your screen by holding it).
(it will open the Shortcut automatically)

In this list(Activities) go to SETTINGSand open this.
now go to "NOTIFICATIONS LOG" and select

your screen how has the Notification log Icon.

Select the icon and there is the log

ps: to Switch back to the "default SAMSUNG UI/One UI HOME" -> Choose Nova Settings. -> Select @ "select default Launcher"

ps: do not try Unnotification etc apps because i haven't managed to get OLD logs back. Only newly created ones.

A bit old but I just needed this and I confirm it still works on Galaxy S8.
The interesting part is that you don't really need to create a widget from the Nova Launcher, you don't even need to switch the Home UI.
After installing Nova, you will be able to use the "Activity" widget of Nova directly from the Samsung UI!!!

So the best way for me is:
  1. Hold home
  2. Widgets
  3. Nova Launcher -> Hold "Activities" -> It creates an icon and prompts the configurations
  4. Look for Settings -> Notification log -> TAP
And you're done!
I noticed all the notifications were from today, tomorrow I'll check if it's possible to go further back in history (now that I entered once), or you just see the notifications of the day.
Either way this is great, I really needed to recover the time I got a certain notification.
Thanks to everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol