Secure folder disables GBoard sync.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Found that out today. Not sure if anyone else was wondering why GBoard wouldn't sync but I was. Thought I'd share.
Yep, uninstalled my secure folder just to get Gboard to sync. Very unfortunate, Gboard thinks you have G Suite installed and disables sync.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This has been an issue sice 2016. Can't believe they still haven't gotten that figured out. ������

Yep, uninstalled my secure folder just to get Gboard to sync. Very unfortunate, Gboard thinks you have G Suite installed and disables sync.

If you uninstall Secure folder and sync Gboard, does reinstalling SF keep the sync on or does it screw it up again?

Last edited:

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
This has been an issue sice 2016. Can't believe they still haven't gotten that figured out. ������

If you uninstall Secure folder and sync Gboard, does reinstalling SF keep the sync on or does it screw it up again?
It will disable it again. I switched to SwiftKey because of this.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It will disable it again. I switched to SwiftKey because of this.

Please let me know how it goes. I'm want to try out GBoard, but without sync across devices it's obviously not ideal, and uninstalling SecureFolder makes you lose app data (thanks, crappy Android back ups grrrrrr). I can live with that, but I'd rather avoid it if it won't really help with GBoard sync. I need Secure Folder way more than I need GBoard, TBH

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Please let me know how it goes. I'm want to try out GBoard, but without sync across devices it's obviously not ideal, and uninstalling SecureFolder makes you lose app data (thanks, crappy Android back ups grrrrrr). I can live with that, but I'd rather avoid it if it won't really help with GBoard sync. I need Secure Folder way more than I need GBoard, TBH
I have used SwiftKey for years before Gboard. I like it. Only thing I'm missing is gifs. But SwiftKey will support that soon.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I have used SwiftKey for years before Gboard. I like it. Only thing I'm missing is gifs. But SwiftKey will support that soon.

I like Swift Key too, but ever since they got acquired by Microsoft, development has been lacking and I don't know why, but it just feels way less accurate since a couple years ago. Yes, it still autocorrects like magic, but I do notice that it makes A LOT more mistakes when typing. For instance, I can see my finger tap a certain letter, and SK will 'think' I tapped the one next to it. And I've given my phone to a couple of people to try typing on my phones with Autocorrect off and they have all said the same: what the funk is wrong with this keyboard? I switch to the Samsung one and they can type OK. Switch back to Swift Key, and it's mistyping galore.

I do find SwiftKey's predictions better so far, and it does a much better job at suggesting emojis right off the bat, but yeah, I'd take better accuracy to emoji or GIFs any day.

Another annoyance added to the GBoard is that it doesn't offer suggestion when typing on search boxes or Chrome address bar or Play Store search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34