Samsung pay denied no encryption

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Well I stopped at the cafeteria at UCSD for a coffee and Danish, when they asked for payment I used SP and the cashier said that won't work and of course it did.
Then I was told not to use again because it's not encrypted, now I'm not a expert here but a magnetic strip for credit card swipe is no different than using SP to process the transaction they both read the same way right?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am guessing the concern is that someone (perhaps through a nearby device) could pick up the unencrypted data stream sent by Samsung Pay to mimic a card magstripe.

But, on my list of things to worry about, that one would fall somewhere between #7,846 and 7,922.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
When you Make a Payment

When you make a payment, you will need to authenticate by using your fingerprint or Samsung Pay PIN before the information can be sent to the payment terminal. The merchant will only receive a token, and your payment information will be kept secure. The token will be sent to the payment network, where it will be decrypted and verified against the information stored in a secure vault on internal networks. Once authenticated, the payment will be approved and sent back to the merchant. Only the payment network and your bank will have information about the transaction.

4. Shop Safe

Samsung Pay never provides card readers with your real credit card information. Instead, when you initiate payment, your bank gives Samsung Pay a temporary one-time-use card number. This security procedure, called payment tokenization, means that even if someone could intercept your payment information with a credit card skimmer, the information would be useless.

The only thing being sent is a token that expires upon approval. Your card number or any information isnt sent so theres really nothing a skimmer would get. Take that to whoever feels its not safe and have them explain themselves.

DaHui623

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I am guessing the concern is that someone (perhaps through a nearby device) could pick up the unencrypted data stream sent by Samsung Pay to mimic a card magstripe.

But, on my list of things to worry about, that one would fall somewhere between #7 ,846 and 7,922.

Except every transaction signal is a unique one time token. Even if someone got close enough to intercept the signal the info they received would be no good after that transaction.

And all card info is encrypted on your device. It's actually safer than using your real card.

dmoss7

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
What it sounds like is the person had no idea what they were talking about. My response would have been "that's for me to worry about, not you."

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The only thing being sent is a token that expires upon approval. Your card number or any information isnt sent so theres really nothing a skimmer would get. Take that to whoever feels its not safe and have them explain themselves.
This.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Well apparently management has put a stop to SP/apple pay ect for there concern I guess they need to educate them self, it wasn't worth the conversation they had already made up there mind.!

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Well apparently management has put a stop to SP/apple pay ect for there concern I guess they need to educate them self, it wasn't worth the conversation they had already made up there mind.!

Me being the a-hole I am, I'd drop off those 2 quotes from above and tell them its time to educate themselves. Being that they are a university, I would expect them to understand how facts work.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Me being the a-hole I am, I'd drop off those 2 quotes from above and tell them its time to educate themselves. Being that they are a university, I would expect them to understand how facts work.
You would think so.......
I fell safer with SP transaction then my chipped debit card

TheyCallMeBT

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I think I would have to send an email out to them. A very polite one that is to the point and gives the facts with sources. And I would definitely include the Dean of Students on it. If you have a decent SGA president, might be something to bring up to him/ her. Might not even be that important to you any more to be worth all of that, but it's just the principle of the thing! lol.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Most just think it is Apple Pay .. once I mention it will work like my usual credit card they let me try, see it go through, and all is well. I never had someone try and tell me about it being secure or not. I know it is so I would just be polite and probably be like "oh really wow .. Okay" then leave. No reason to argue with people who obviously don't know how it works.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
If it works on the card reader they have then I don't believe then CAN stop you from using it. It's the same as them telling you that you can't swipe/insert your card.... I guess they want to go cash only?

TheyCallMeBT

May 2, 2017
Visit site
If it works on the card reader they have then I don't believe then CAN stop you from using it. It's the same as them telling you that you can't swipe/insert your card.... I guess they want to go cash only?

Yeah, but per the OP, this is a university that we're talking about. If they put a rule in place, they're going to expect it to be followed, unfortunately.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, but per the OP, this is a university that we're talking about. If they put a rule in place, they're going to expect it to be followed, unfortunately.
The cashier and manager were very outspoken that this would not be allowed again they assumed I was paying cash and I asked where the card reader was and then just used Samsung pay so I kind of caught them by surprise.
The credit card reader was on the opposite side of the screen that my order was on for the coffee and danish.
even the employee standing behind me said that wouldn't work and it did.
I'm sure there was some incident to cause this shutdown of electronic payment

TheyCallMeBT

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Why would it matter if it was a university or not?

I agree with your sentiment that it shouldn't matter. But my point was that this isn't just some place like the grocery store. It's a university that he's enrolled in, at the cafeteria where he probably regularly eats. If they are so adamant about this that they've gone as far as to put an actual rule on it that they aren't allowing it-- then him telling them that no, he's going to use it any way, just isn't going to cut it. And has the potential for blowback. Not something you want at university when you're juggling your studies, social life, etc. (Or the OP may be an employee-- not sure, but all the same as far as this goes). That's why I was saying that if it's worth it, the only way to get it changed is by schooling them on the facts in a proper and well-sourced manner.

Any way, that's my take on it. I went to undergrad and had a higher-up staff position during that time. And after that, I've been teaching a course at the same university as a staff instructor for 7 years. I've been around enough to know that the bureaucracy style of thinking runs deep in this kind of setting. And you have to pick your battles.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
As a student I'm in this cafeteria about once a week, it surprised me how strong they were in there denial of SP use, after I sat down to drink my coffee that's when I became so curious about why they said no to this and they talked about the non encryption, next week I'll try again with a different cashier or pursue the conversation a little more with the manager if I get a chance, they were busy at the time and in no mood to talk.
You would think if anywere they would be more hip to this here

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
As a student I'm in this cafeteria about once a week, it surprised me how strong they were in there denial of SP use, after I sat down to drink my coffee that's when I became so curious about why they said no to this and they talked about the non encryption, next week I'll try again with a different cashier or pursue the conversation a little more with the manager if I get a chance, they were busy at the time and in no mood to talk.
You would think if anywere they would be more hip to this here

I'm not really surprised, they are a govt like bureaucracy after all.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

They can't "stop" Samsung Pay. To do so, they would need to disable the card reader attached to the POS terminal. So what are they doing? Cash only transactions?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree with your sentiment that it shouldn't matter. But my point was that this isn't just some place like the grocery store. It's a university that he's enrolled in, at the cafeteria where he probably regularly eats. If they are so adamant about this that they've gone as far as to put an actual rule on it that they aren't allowing it-- then him telling them that no, he's going to use it any way, just isn't going to cut it. And has the potential for blowback. Not something you want at university when you're juggling your studies, social life, etc. (Or the OP may be an employee-- not sure, but all the same as far as this goes). That's why I was saying that if it's worth it, the only way to get it changed is by schooling them on the facts in a proper and well-sourced manner.

Any way, that's my take on it. I went to undergrad and had a higher-up staff position during that time. And after that, I've been teaching a course at the same university as a staff instructor for 7 years. I've been around enough to know that the bureaucracy style of thinking runs deep in this kind of setting. And you have to pick your battles.
But it is just some place like a grocery store.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia