Finally giving up on screen protectors.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Just wait. Give it a little more time and one day you'll wake up with a big scratch on it and you'll be like darn it oh well. May not happen now but soon. Even my glass screen protector on my V20 doesn't scratch this easily and it's just a screen protector.
I've already stated it will scratch. The thing is, you're warning others that your screen is caused by normal use and even you've admitted in another thread that you don't take care of yours because it's a work owned phone. It's a glass phone. Throwing it in a bag is not how you protect a glass phone. Wiping the screen with debris on it is not how you protect a glass screen.

That's the difference here. You are rough on your phone and it shows. You can't blame Samsung because you don't worry about protecting it and as a result have scratched it to all hell.

It's like the guy who dropped his and blames Samsung because it cracked. Take care of your stuff properly and these things won't happen.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've already stated it will scratch. The thing is, you're warning others that your screen is caused by normal use and even you've admitted in another thread that you don't take care of yours because it's a work owned phone. It's a glass phone. Throwing it in a bag is not how you protect a glass phone. Wiping the screen with debris on it is not how you protect a glass screen.

That's the difference here. You are rough on your phone and it shows. You can't blame Samsung because you don't worry about protecting it and as a result have scratched it to all hell.

It's like the guy who dropped his and blames Samsung because it cracked. Take care of your stuff properly and these things won't happen.

I was using it like an average American would, and not be paranoid that it'll scratch that easily (bc I remember the Note 3, S4 & S5 not scratching so easily). I was wrong and it scratches very fast.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Look at the Samsung forums. Everyone is talking about it. Here's a quote:

"Same thing> I have a s6 and s4 that have zero scratches. I have not used a screen protector since my blackberry. I had this a week and only put in my pocket by itself and it has micro scratches as if my pants were made of sand paper. I dont know if i can deal with this for 2 years. Wish i waited for the pixel2"

Not trying to troll, just trying to warn y'all.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S8-Questions-and-Answers/S8-Scratching-easily/td-p/93816

View attachment 262165View attachment 262166
This is such BS. My phone in and out of my pockets 100 times a day. Front pocket, back pocket, even sat on the phone many times. Not a single scratch. How is that possible?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
It will pretty soon.

BTW the front seems to scratch easier than back.
Have dbrand skin on the back because the back gets more abused than front. Also, people should never put face down on tables if they don't have a case with a lip. If you are putting phone gave down on surfaces with no case with lip or screen protector, you are abusing your phone :)

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

"Same thing> I have a s6 and s4 that have zero scratches. I have not used a screen protector since my blackberry. I had this a week and only put in my pocket by itself and it has micro scratches as if my pants were made of sand paper. I dont know if i can deal with this for 2 years. Wish i waited for the pixel2"

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S8-Questions-and-Answers/S8-Scratching-easily/td-p/93816

Not a chance that happened just from going in and out of a pocket. Judging by the position of the scratches, that was slid face down multiple times on a table.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Not a chance that happened just from going in and out of a pocket. Judging by the position of the scratches, that was slid face down multiple times on a table.
The way the scratches go side to side, you can tell it's definitely not from normal pocketing of the phone. The scratches would go vertical vs horizontal.

That phone has been slid across a table, or something similar, face down.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
It will pretty soon.

BTW the front seems to scratch easier than back.

People said the same thing about the S7 Edge. I had that phone over a year with zero scratches.

Samsung has sold millions of S8 phones. 10 people on a forum aren't going to convince me. Especially since I have to take their word for it that they didn't abuse their phones.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The way the scratches go side to side, you can tell it's definitely not from normal pocketing of the phone. The scratches would go vertical vs horizontal.

That phone has been slid across a table, or something similar, face down.

A table​ isn't abrasive. Should be able to handle it. And Samsung also advertised the edge display feature where you place it face down to see notifications from the edges. At least from what I remembered from the edge series.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The thing I am finding from these people though ... they're putting it face down. I never do this .. I see no reason to place any phone (curved or not) on its screen when it can sit on its back just fine.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yeah .. I am not seeing a pocket doing that. Those scratches shouldn't be caused by fabric such as your jeans, shorts, etc.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Quite a debate going on here. I'm buying an S8 despite my fears. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but the size of my iPhone 6S+ is really driving me nuts and I wanna try something new. It's in a case with a glass screen protector so I'm used to that sort of thing. I've also dropped it more times than I can count without a scratch. But I've replaced the screen protector five times.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
A table​ isn't abrasive. Should be able to handle it. And Samsung also advertised the edge display feature where you place it face down to see notifications from the edges. At least from what I remembered from the edge series.
Really? I've got a cement slab table in my warehouse that would disagree. Or a slate table top, some granite. There's more than just Formica tables

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Really? I've got a cement slab table in my warehouse that would disagree. Or a slate table top, some granite. There's more than just Formica tables

They advertised​ the ability to place the phone face down on the table during business meetings, and have the edge light up for notifications. Shouldn't be something that should be avoided. How else would the edge lighting work?

Screenshot_20170619-100358.jpg

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Never said it should be avoided however it shouldnt be slid across an abrasive surface. The fact is, that in the above picture someone laid the phone down on an abrasive surface causing horizontal scratching. It did not happen by putting it in a pocket. A screen also does not scratch on an abrasive surface unless it is moved across it.

I dont know what more to tell you besides, the examples you have given prove only that the people with destroyed screen did not take care of them in the manner that someone who cares about scratches would. You dont put them in a bag, as youve stated you do. You dont put them in a pocket with other objects, as the guy with the iphone 4s did. You dont let them slide on abrasive surfaces as the above images show, and you dont wipe them while debris is on the screen as shown in your images.

If you dont do any of those things and actually take care of your device, then yes minor scratches may appear over time but they are not guaranteed as you seem to think they are. Even when people are showing you that theirs are fine you refuse to accept responsibility for your damage. If I treat mine the exact same way I have since I got it then I will never get a scratch considering I have zero as of this moment.

You destroyed your phone, not some flaw in manufacturing. You even admit to treating your phone less carefully because you dont own it. Stop blaming anyone else for your carelessness.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Are you kidding me with this nonsense? All tables are abrasive, some moreso than others. Even a perfectly smooth glass table will still scratch something softer. (in this case, the oleophobic coating on an S8 display) That phone was, in no way, shape, or form, just placed face down on a table. Someone slid it, side to side, and that's what scratched it.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
They advertised​ the ability to place the phone face down on the table during business meetings, and have the edge light up for notifications. Shouldn't be something that should be avoided. How else would the edge lighting work?

View attachment 262204

By caerfully setting your phone face down on a smooth surface. Not sliding it across. Care is needed when handling any expensive smartphone. Common sense tells me to be careful with my phone, I don't care what kind of material is used.

And FWI, the edge lighting also works face up on the S8

Last edited:

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Never said it should be avoided however it shouldnt be slid across an abrasive surface. The fact is, that in the above picture someone laid the phone down on an abrasive surface causing horizontal scratching. It did not happen by putting it in a pocket. A screen also does not scratch on an abrasive surface unless it is moved across it.

I dont know what more to tell you besides, the examples you have given prove only that the people with destroyed screen did not take care of them in the manner that someone who cares about scratches would. You dont put them in a bag, as youve stated you do. You dont put them in a pocket with other objects, as the guy with the iphone 4s did. You dont let them slide on abrasive surfaces as the above images show, and you dont wipe them while debris is on the screen as shown in your images.

If you dont do any of those things and actually take care of your device, then yes minor scratches may appear over time but they are not guaranteed as you seem to think they are. Even when people are showing you that theirs are fine you refuse to accept responsibility for your damage. If I treat mine the exact same way I have since I got it then I will never get a scratch considering I have zero as of this moment.

You destroyed your phone, not some flaw in manufacturing. You even admit to treating your phone less carefully because you dont own it. Stop blaming anyone else for your carelessness.

Still, shouldn't have gotten scratched up so fast. It was less than a month.

blaine07

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
So you decided to go with the Speck Persidio instead of the Defender this time? What do you think of the Persidio plain black case without the rubber grips?
Sorry, not @felloffthetruck BUT Speck Presidio non grip and Bodyguardz Pure Arc is a delicious combo. Presidio no grip is pretty slick but goes right to edge of Bodyguardz. Not sure any other S8+ case I've used has as good of button feel as Presidio. The grip and non grip versions are very good cases. Non grip I'll say again, is pretty slick. Probably no more slick than OtterBox Symmetry and Presidios both up a bit higher on side edges.

On a side note using a much MUCH cheaper Patchworks ITG case today and it's very similar to both Symmetry and Presidio fitment wise, pretty slick, but much more affordable at $15 😁 I have used about a dozen cases now and seems I keep cycling between Presidio Grip, no grip, Symmetry and a Ringke case I have. For the money the Silk Base Grip is a good case too, albeit not nearly as protective as above mentioned.

As far as glass I've used Candy Bar special on Amazon, Klearlook, Gpel, a Zagg and Bodyguardz(have a iBlason I haven't tried yet). Candy Bar and Klearlook were total junk. Popped off and useless. Gpel had great fitment but dot matrix amplified under sun a and made phone useless outside. Zagg had a corner that wouldn't stay down, used their alignment tray so perfectly centered but of the group it's a head to head contender with Bodyguardz. Zagg has NO dot matrix. Bodyguardz has best fitment and VERY MINIMAL dot matrix under sunlight. So far Bodyguardz is best protector because it's staid on, but Zagg would win if they could get consistent glass moulding. Every screen protector I've used, unfortunately, it's subject to catching crap along edges. 😭

/The end LOL

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae