No updates - is this normal or an issue with my phone

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, this is my first android device, changing from apple.

I got an unlocked s8 from sky mobile on a two year finance.

My issue is I have received no updates for it...still running April security and I'm reading others now have June security updates on unlocked phones in UK. Should I be concerned? Or is it just luck of the draw?

Tried connecting to smart switch too...no updates there either.

Thanks.

Model number sm-g950f if that makes any difference to things.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
System updates for carrier-specific phones usually require the phone to be on that carrier's network to get the update. Are you still on Sky Mobile, or did you take it somewhere else?

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
System updates for carrier-specific phones usually require the phone to be on that carrier's network to get the update. Are you still on Sky Mobile, or did you take it somewhere else?
Hi I took the phone on to the three network. That might be the problem? I thought unlocked would have meant network didn't matter.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Phones that are "carrier agnostic" (i.e., are not sold directly by the carrier) can get updates no matter what network they're using. The ones that are carrier-specific can be unlocked to be used on other networks, but to get official OTA system updates, they still have to be on the original carrier's network.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Phones that are "carrier agnostic" (i.e., are not sold directly by the carrier) can get updates no matter what network they're using. The ones that are carrier-specific can be unlocked to be used on other networks, but to get official OTA system updates, they still have to be on the original carrier's network.
Someone in another thread said his unlocked Verizon phone on t-mobile network go the unlocked versions update. He got the June security patch only available on the U series.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've heard of some carrier-specific phones that seem to get updated on other networks, so it's probably more of a general rule with some exceptions. If you can find that thread, I'd be interested in looking at it, to see if there were any special circumstances (like maybe the phone was truly an unlocked phone to begin with, or maybe it was rooted).

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I've heard of some carrier-specific phones that seem to get updated on other networks, so it's probably more of a general rule with some exceptions. If you can find that thread, I'd be interested in looking at it, to see if there were any special circumstances (like maybe the phone was truly an unlocked phone to begin with, or maybe it was rooted).
https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=807893

Last couple posts.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site

So to get the updates I need to put the sky sim back in? If so how long will it take for the updates to get pushed to me once the SIM is in (so I can swap back). Plan to use the sky mobile SIM full time in January.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
@TylerLV76, thanks for the link! I wonder if it's just the S8, or if there are other phones out there that can do it.
@Wbutchart1, that link does change the equation somewhat -- perhaps Samsung will actually push the OTA update to your phone. But if you never get it, then the next option would be to get the phone back on Sky briefly to download the update. Maybe you could get the cheapest prepaid SIM from Sky, if there's one available.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
@TylerLV76, thanks for the link! I wonder if it's just the S8, or if there are other phones out there that can do it.
@Wbutchart1, that link does change the equation somewhat -- perhaps Samsung will actually push the OTA update to your phone. But if you never get it, then the next option would be to get the phone back on Sky briefly to download the update. Maybe you could get the cheapest prepaid SIM from Sky, if there's one available.
Hi, I still have the sky SIM, will be transferring across to sky soon. Just waiting for my other contract to complete so I can transfer my number there. I will try sticking the SIM in and seeing what happens.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, this is my first android device, changing from apple.

I got an unlocked s8 from sky mobile on a two year finance.

My issue is I have received no updates for it...still running April security and I'm reading others now have June security updates on unlocked phones in UK. Should I be concerned? Or is it just luck of the draw?

Tried connecting to smart switch too...no updates there either.

Thanks.

Model number sm-g950f if that makes any difference to things.

What firmware is it running.
Sky uses EE but does not offer any of the advanced features. So I would imagine it is running BTU.

If that is the case it should receive updates on the Samsung schedule?

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Just checked, my software says it's btu. So does that mean it's not tied to a carrier and I should get the updates no matter which network I'm on or do I need to be on the network I bought it through.

Neither on three (the network I took it to) or sky mobile (the network I bought it from) are there updates for my phone. Which is strange....is it maybe that Samsung have not released them for the g950f model?

Last edited:

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
have you tried to take SIM out send reboot just on WiFi then check for an update . I used to have to do that on my Nexus 6p because Verizon would delay updates

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Someone in another thread said his unlocked Verizon phone on t-mobile network go the unlocked versions update. He got the June security patch only available on the U series.

I mentioned this in another thread so not sure if you are talking about me. But I flashed the unlocked firmware on my Verizon S8+ so this is probably why I got the June Update already. Had I just plopped a T-Mobile sim in, I doubt I'd have gotten an update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I flashed the unlocked firmware on my Verizon S8+ so this is probably why I got the June Update already. Had I just plopped a T-Mobile sim in, I doubt I'd have gotten an update.

Aha! That explains it. So it's still most likely that the official update won't get pushed unless the phone is on the original carrier's network, @Wbutchart1.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I mentioned this in another thread so not sure if you are talking about me. But I flashed the unlocked firmware on my Verizon S8+ so this is probably why I got the June Update already. Had I just plopped a T-Mobile sim in, I doubt I'd have gotten an update.

Where did you download the ROM, how did you flash it, and what are the differences (other than bloatware)? I'm also on Verizon and I am thinking about what you did. I just got the June update a few days ago though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon