06-20-2019 06:56 AM
45 12
tools
    When you plug in the phone to charge (or start wirelessly), the screen comes on. Is there any way to disable this?

Its a bit annoying to always need to turn the screen off after putting it down to charge.
    06-14-2017 11:01 PM
    I don't think so.
    06-15-2017 12:59 AM
    When you plug in the phone to charge (or start wirelessly), the screen comes on. Is there any way to disable this?

Its a bit annoying to always need to turn the screen off after putting it down to charge.
    Why is it annoying? If you'll leave it alone, your screen saver will kick in.
    06-15-2017 01:46 AM
    The screen should go off by itself once you plug it in or put it on the wireless charger.
    06-15-2017 06:34 AM
    The screen turns on to show that it is recognizing the charge, then once you leave it alone, the screen will shut off. Don't see why this would bother anyone.
    Qc_Anubis and ABOSWORTH007 like this.
    06-15-2017 06:40 AM
    I have my screen timing off after 10min, so if i dont turn it off manually, it will stay on for that long.

Its annoying in several situations, such as when dark in bed, and place it on the wireless charging pad on the bedside table, I then have to manually turn it off, otherwise the ceiling is lit up for 10min. Likewise, in the car it stays on , therefore taking longer to charge than it should.
    Norg likes this.
    06-15-2017 06:03 PM
    It seems like you are causing your own annoyance because of the 10 minute time out. I don't know of any other solution for your issue besides lessening the screen timeout.
    Mr_Spencer likes this.
    06-15-2017 06:33 PM
    It seems like you are causing your own annoyance because of the 10 minute time out. I don't know of any other solution for your issue besides lessening the screen timeout.
    Agreed.

What reason is there for the 10 min timeout anyway?
    06-15-2017 06:44 PM
    I have my screen timing off after 10min, so if i dont turn it off manually, it will stay on for that long.

Its annoying in several situations, such as when dark in bed, and place it on the wireless charging pad on the bedside table, I then have to manually turn it off, otherwise the ceiling is lit up for 10min. Likewise, in the car it stays on , therefore taking longer to charge than it should.
    Are you not locking the phone? When my phone is locked and I plug it in -- it turns on for about 10 seconds or less then shuts back off. It doesn't sit on the lock screen for 10 minutes (or in my case my 1 minute lockout).
    sweetypie31 and Qc_Anubis like this.
    06-15-2017 06:46 PM
    Related question: is it possible to stop the S8 from turning the screen on when charging is complete? Often times when I place my phone on my wireless charger at night, it turns on the screen after an hour or so once the phone has completed charging. Very annoying when sleeping in a dark room!
    06-15-2017 09:00 PM
    Are you not locking the phone? When my phone is locked and I plug it in -- it turns on for about 10 seconds or less then shuts back off. It doesn't sit on the lock screen for 10 minutes (or in my case my 1 minute lockout).
    With smart lock, the phone does not lock in mu car or house
    06-15-2017 10:06 PM
    With smart lock, the phone does not lock in mu car or house
    Same with mine but your issue sounds easily solvable -- just lock it before plugging it in. If it is in your hand to plug in locking it seems minor.

The only way to have what you want is most likely with root. Even then I doubt it.
    06-15-2017 10:17 PM
    I have my screen timing off after 10min, so if i dont turn it off manually...
    Without trying to sound sarcastic, is it that hard to hit the power button when you put it on the charger? I sometimes go to bed after my wife, and I simply hit the power button to turn the screen off.
    06-16-2017 11:36 PM
    Without trying to sound sarcastic, is it that hard to hit the power button when you put it on the charger? I sometimes go to bed after my wife, and I simply hit the power button to turn the screen off.
    It is annoying af my time out is 10 minutes also because I'm constant on my phone. Handling 2 businesses you need that screen on. Battery had to be charged often and it's annoying to always have to hit the button to black screen it when you hook the charger to it. Its not charging fast enough if the screen is on. There should be an option to bypass the screen turning on when charging...a sound would be good enough
    02-06-2018 12:35 PM
    Your phone should not be staying on for the full duration of the time out just because you started charging. Mine is 1min ish but allways turns off 10 or so seconds after putting it on the wireless charging stand, even if the phone is unlocked be cause my smart watch is active.
    sweetypie31 and Gayle Lynn like this.
    02-06-2018 10:06 PM
    It is annoying af my time out is 10 minutes also because I'm constant on my phone. Handling 2 businesses you need that screen on. Battery had to be charged often and it's annoying to always have to hit the button to black screen it when you hook the charger to it. Its not charging fast enough if the screen is on. There should be an option to bypass the screen turning on when charging...a sound would be good enough
    Aside from the issue you completely contradicted yourself in this post. ( I need it always on, I want it off when I plug it in, etc.) Have you tried turning on facial recognition so that if you are looking at the screen, it stays on until you are no longer viewing and then turns off? This way you could lower the absurd 10 min screen on time.
    I believe the charge on screen is a percentage of whatever your 'stay on' time is. For example my time is 1 minute but when I set it on charge and on the lock screen, it stays on 10 sec at the most
    02-07-2018 02:52 PM
    There have been threads as to what apps cause the phone screen to wake up during night. Look into that.

Isn't there an option to just place phone face down?

I use Developer Options for more choices.
    02-07-2018 03:49 PM
    Why are there so many dumb replies about not understanding why it would bother someone or that you can just turn off the power button? If you are not contributing, then don't reply so that people actually trying to solve the problem don't have to scroll through your garbage.

I have the same problem - as anyone that does not sleep alone might - in that my wife goes to bed before me and the 8+ lights up the entire room when it starts charging and she can sometimes be woken up from it if she happens to face towards my side. I've taken to using my shirt to place the phone on the wireless charger so that it's covered for the flash. It's hard to see if it's actually on the charger properly though...

Thanks in advance for any solutions.
    Maave, James Monica, brado and 2 others like this.
    02-10-2018 10:55 PM
    I used to put the phone face down but I got a wireless charger and it only works well face up I've found. Good thinking though.
    James Monica likes this.
    02-10-2018 10:57 PM
    Since my phone is my alarm, I always have my brightness turned down when charging, too. Silencing the alarm at full brightness is amazingly painful. On the other hand I plan on using the bixby morning notifications and news alarm feature when oreo drops down so reaching over to cancel may be a thing of the past.
    02-11-2018 11:35 AM
    Why are there so many dumb replies about not understanding why it would bother someone or that you can just turn off the power button? If you are not contributing, then don't reply so that people actually trying to solve the problem don't have to scroll through your garbage.

I have the same problem - as anyone that does not sleep alone might - in that my wife goes to bed before me and the 8+ lights up the entire room when it starts charging and she can sometimes be woken up from it if she happens to face towards my side. I've taken to using my shirt to place the phone on the wireless charger so that it's covered for the flash. It's hard to see if it's actually on the charger properly though...

Thanks in advance for any solutions.
    I agree completely.
    What is up with these people: "why are you annoyed by this" "ridiculous screen saver time"

I'm on Android because it always gave me the impression you can do anything.
    I get the fact that this isn't doable easily. Just say so. Don't point the finger to the OP for "asking for something stupid". He asked a valid question and there's good reasoning for it.
    aidanjhorn, Maave, brado and 1 others like this.
    03-05-2018 09:52 AM
    Hey guys,

I am using an Xperia XZ with an custom ROM

And there is an Add-on (just for this special Custom ROM) that disables the auto screen-on.

Here's the link to this add-on:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xpe...nz-v5-t3551133

I hope I could help you a little bit
    04-03-2018 05:09 AM
    I agree completely.
    What is up with these people: "why are you annoyed by this" "ridiculous screen saver time"

I'm on Android because it always gave me the impression you can do anything.
    Well let me be the first to tell you you cannot do just anything, especially on un-rooted phones.
    04-03-2018 07:20 PM
    Same boat; 4am, POW!!! the bat signal goes off in the (very dark) room to gleefully tell me my phone is charged...
    Verizon S9+
    Wireless charging so I cant lay it face down.
    I can't find the notification settings anywhere for this.
    04-07-2018 07:44 AM
    So after your phone is charged and the screen comes on, it doesn't go off after a few seconds? No matter how long I set my screen time out for my screen doesn't stay on long after a full charge.
    04-07-2018 10:14 AM
45 12