06-19-2017 04:40 PM
42 12
tools
    06-16-2017 08:06 AM
    Fixed the title of the thread to a ... more productive one you could say.

As for this -- it states it in the user manual that for some people it can cause eye pain / soreness. I mean .. beaming a laser in your eye isn't smart. I have dealt with eye stuff my whole life so I have yet to ever once turn the Iris scanner on for my S8+. I just use the FP scanner.
    erasat likes this.
    06-16-2017 10:11 AM
    From the Biometrics institute

7. Are biometrics a threat to your health?

Can you tell the state of my health from the iris? Will my eye be damaged from an iris scan? Does eye surgery change the iris?
    Iris readers do not use lasers, but they do use near-infrared light. The amount of this light is no more than would be received by walking outside on a sunny day. There have been numerous reports on the safety of iris systems, and the fact that they are used by risk adverse government departments should attests to their safety.
    06-16-2017 10:11 AM
    You shouldn't look at the iris scanner for more than a few seconds.

That's why the sensor shuts off if it can't detect your eyes.

From my experience with the Galaxy Note 7, it should only take about a second for the sensor to recognize your iris if it is properly trained and in good lighting.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    06-16-2017 10:26 AM
    If I am right, Lumia phones and Windows hello for pc both use infrared scanners as well, with no issues.

Im highly sceptical about this article, especially as the daily mail isn't known for reliability in the UK.
    06-16-2017 10:47 AM
    beaming a la[s]er in your eye isn't smart.
    Depends entirely on the intensity of the laser. In any case, the IR LED isn't a laser.

Does anyone know how much IR exposure your eye gets from one second of iris scanning, compared to one second of walking outdoors on a bright day? That would be a good place to start when figuring out if there's anything to worry about.
    06-16-2017 11:10 AM
    Not sure what was wrong the OP's original thread topic.

I've taken my share of health risks, but my eyes are not an area I'm willing to f'k with.
    matthewkuhl likes this.
    06-16-2017 11:17 AM
    Fixed the title of the thread to a ... more productive one you could say.

As for this -- it states it in the user manual that for some people it can cause eye pain / soreness. I mean .. beaming a lazer in your eye isn't smart. I have dealt with eye stuff my whole life so I have yet to ever once turn the Iris scanner on for my S8+. I just use the FP scanner.
    Right. It's like people are fishing for S8 drama today. WTH?
    Wbutchart1 and kevinpleasants like this.
    06-16-2017 11:26 AM
    Not sure what was wrong the OP's original thread topic.
    If you want to discuss it just send me a PM .
    06-16-2017 11:32 AM
    Depends entirely on the intensity of the laser. In any case, the IR LED isn't a laser.

Does anyone know how much IR exposure your eye gets from one second of iris scanning, compared to one second of walking outdoors on a bright day? That would be a good place to start when figuring out if there's anything to worry about.
    You're entitled to your opinion .. But I prefer to not beam stuff into my eyes to simply unlock my phone. Every year I get to have stuff beamed in there and messed with and it is just something I really prefer to not use.. especially when the FP scanner works just fine and doesn't require any amount of "proper light" to see me to just unlock my phone.
    06-16-2017 11:34 AM
    You're entitled to your opinion[.] But I prefer to not beam stuff into my eyes to simply unlock my phone.
    I offered no opinion as to how you should unlock your phone. The two statements I did make--that the effect of lasers depends on their intensity, and that the phone's iris scanner does not use a laser--are not opinions, but rather are elementary statements of fact.
    06-16-2017 11:37 AM
    I offered no opinion as to how you should unlock your phone. The two statements I did make--that the effect of lasers depends on their intensity, and that the phone's iris scanner does not use a laser--are not opinions, but rather are elementary statements of fact.
    Well I look at this ...

That would be a good place to start when figuring out if there's anything to worry about.
    As telling me to do something :P. I will worry about it .. regardless of the lasers intensity .. since I refuse to beam stuff into my eye to unlock my phone . Thanks though!
    06-16-2017 11:39 AM
    You're entitled to your opinion .. But I prefer to not beam stuff into my eyes to simply unlock my phone. Every year I get to have stuff beamed in there and messed with and it is just something I really prefer to not use.. especially when the FP scanner works just fine and doesn't require any amount of "proper light" to see me to just unlock my phone.
    I understand that you don't want to use the iris scanner. You don't need a certain amount of proper light though. It's infrared so it works even in the dark.
    06-16-2017 11:45 AM
    Well I look at this[...] As telling me to do something
    Nope. It's just what you would have to do tin order to find out if there's any actual risk. Whether you worry or not, in the absence of actual risk, is up to you, and I offer no opinion on that question.

I will worry about it[,] regardless of the laser[']s intensity[,] since I refuse to beam stuff into my eye to unlock my phone.
    Again, there isn't any laser. (And you "beam stuff into your eye" every time you look at the phone's screen, or at anything else for that matter.)
    06-16-2017 11:45 AM
    I understand that you don't want to use the iris scanner. You don't need a certain amount of proper light though. It's infrared so it works even in the dark.
    From what I have read that is sometimes true .. but some say it still fails at points in dark settings. FP scanner doesn't care about the light at all.
    06-16-2017 11:47 AM
    It's just what you would have to do [in] order to find out if there's any actual risk.

Again, there isn't any laser. (And you "beam stuff into your eye" every time you look at the phone's screen, or at anything else for that matter.)
    But not to unlock my phone which is exactly what I said.. I won't beam an Iris scanner into my eye to unlock my phone.

Seriously .. Thanks though .. But you aren't going to change my mind .
    06-16-2017 11:48 AM
    I followed through the article to the Reddit thread. The "multiple users" quoted in the article are actually 5. The rest of the comments are jokes or debate. Considering that the Reddit thread was from a month ago, I would have expected to have heard more about this if it was a widespread problem.

As to the site's credibility? Scroll around and draw your own conclusions.

I've been using the iris scanner many times daily since launch day and haven't felt a twinge. I know that I'm a minuscule sampling, but couldn't resist throwing it out there.
    Wbutchart1 likes this.
    06-16-2017 11:52 AM
    You don't need a certain amount of proper light though. It's infrared so it works even in the dark.
    Wow, you're completely right! I just tried this out in a pitch black room and it worked. I only use it for logging into one website so far but it is kind of neat. I haven't noticed it hurting my eyes at all.
    06-16-2017 11:52 AM
    Seriously .. Thanks though .. But you aren't going to change my mind.
    Thanks to you as well. But I'm not sure what you think I was trying to change your mind about. I have no concern with how you choose to unlock your phone. I was merely correcting some factual misstatements you made (about lasers etc.), primarily for the benefit of other readers.
    Wbutchart1 likes this.
    06-16-2017 11:55 AM
    Thanks to you as well. But I'm not sure what you think I was trying to change your mind about. I have no concern with how you choose to unlock your phone. I was merely correcting some factual misstatements you made (about lasers etc.), primarily for the benefit of other readers.
    I didn't make any factual statements .. I just said it isn't smart since I don't think it is. You're welcome to disagree but in no way did I say I have scientifically tested this theory. So .. You drew your own conclusions and just wanted to "prove me wrong" on something that I never said .
    06-16-2017 11:57 AM
    I followed through the article to the Reddit thread. The "multiple users" quoted in the article are actually 5. The rest of the comments are jokes or debate. Considering that the Reddit thread was from a month ago, I would have expected to have heard more about this if it was a widespread problem.

As to the site's credibility? Scroll around and draw your own conclusions.

I've been using the iris scanner many times daily since launch day and haven't felt a twinge. I know that I'm a minuscule sampling, but couldn't resist throwing it out there.
    Well I don't think it is a huge issue but I can see some people maybe getting bothered by using it. The manual (if I am recalling correctly) does state some people may get some discomfort from using it. Everyone is different.
    06-16-2017 11:59 AM
    I didn't make any factual statements[.] I just said it isn't smart
    Where "it" was "beaming a laser into your eye". But saying that lasers have anything to do with the safety of the iris scanner is factually wrong, so I corrected that misinformation.

Carry on.
    ABOSWORTH007 likes this.
    06-16-2017 12:16 PM
    Well I don't think it is a huge issue but I can see some people maybe getting bothered by using it. The manual (if I am recalling correctly) does state some people may get some discomfort from using it. Everyone is different.
    Looking back, my post may have been a bit snarky. Not intended, sorry. I just get a little indignant with what I consider as "click bait", like the Mail article.

Anyway, for the edification of all in the thread, here's the relevant text from the user manual:

Precautions for using iris recognition

Before using the iris recognition camera and LED, keep the following precautions in mind.
    • To protect your eyes, keep the screen at least 20 cm away from your face when using iris recognition.
    • Do not attach unofficial screen protectors (privacy protection films, tempered glass protectors, etc.) to your device. The iris recognition LED may not turn off even when you are very close to it.
    • Do not use iris recognition with infants. Doing so may damage their eyesight.
    • Anyone who experiences dizziness, seizures, loss of awareness, blackouts, or other symptoms linked to an epileptic condition, or a family history of such symptoms or conditions, should see a doctor before using iris recognition.
    06-16-2017 12:29 PM
    As I understand, it's infrared light, not a laser, that is used for the iris scanner.
    06-16-2017 12:45 PM
    Right. It's like people are fishing for S8 drama today. WTH?
    Not really "people", so far today, it has been the same user. So you can connect the dots.
    gregg6942 and Wbutchart1 like this.
    06-16-2017 12:47 PM
42 12