Why Does The Samsung S8 have less PPI than S6

OriolesRock100

Jun 18, 2017
Visit site
So I did some research on the S8 because my 2-year contract is about over for my S6. Apparently, the S6's resolution is 2560x1440 at approximately 577 pixels/in. The S8's resolution is 2960x1440. Yes, there are a few hundred more pixels in height, but this is only 570 pixels/in. Someone please explain to me how this phone is actually worse than the phone that came over 2 years before it... There must be something I'm missing... As far as I know, both support 4k 30 fps/1080p 60 fps video as well, so I'm really confused as to what is better about the S8.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why Does The Samsung Galaxy S8 Suck?

So I did some research on the S8 because my 2-year contract is about over for my S6. Apparently, the S6's resolution is 2560x1440 at approximately 577 pixels/in. The S8's resolution is 2960x1440. Yes, there are a few hundred more pixels in height, but this is only 570 pixels/in. Someone please explain to me how this phone is actually worse than the phone that came over 2 years before it... There must be something I'm missing... As far as I know, both support 4k 30 fps/1080p 60 fps video as well, so I'm really confused as to what is better about the S8.

Welcome.:)

I know little of Samsung phones, but I very much doubt that the S8 sucks, as you say in your title.
I'll move the thread to the S8 forum, so that those guys can tell you more.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

I think you might be better off with an iPhone

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

Hmm let me enlighten you.

Phones contain what it's called a battery.

The more pixels and the higher the resolution, the faster the battery depletes, so they need to strike a balance.

Besides, number of pixels alone don't make a great screen. There are many other factors such as colour range and what not which I'm really not that savvy about that come into play and these other factors I understand are improved on a yearly basis.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

You're missing a lot:
1. Battery life is far better on the S8.
2. The 4GB RAM makes lag significantly less of an issue.
3. The processor is way faster, so apps load way more quickly.
4. The camera is much better in low light. Much better. It's auto zoom is also quicker.
5. The software experience on the S8 is 2 generations newer than the S7, but feels 5 generations newer. It's easier to use, more modern and far less wasteful of RAM.
6. The screen is significantly brighter in direct sunlight, getting up to 1000 nits.

There are .any more benefits, this is just a small sampling to prove the point.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site

Personally I don't take too much notice of those types of specs. ;)

If the phone looks good to your eyes then Happy Days.

tr1ad

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site

If it works it works, doesn't matter if it has more ppi or opens an app faster by .025 seconds faster than another device

Steven Frost1

May 12, 2017
Visit site

seriously you put that as a title think your missing the point if you look at just one thing try the phone in a store put your s6 next to it.

oh I did own an s6 lovely phone but oh my was the battery shocking on the s8 plus I'm getting about 24 hours of one charge and I'm a pretty heavy user.

so before you start to slate something just because of some numbers why not try it first then see how you get on.

or as someone else suggest head over to the iPhone I'm pretty sure you'll hear back to Samsung

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

The bigger the screen, the lower the PPI in most cases (probably due to cost). However, you get a much larger screen, 5.7' for the S8 vs the small 5.1' of the S6. There has been lots of improvements, for example much better battery performance. The S6 only has a 2500 mAh battery which can last just a few hours whereas the S8 can last all day since it's more efficient and has a 3000 mAh battery. However, IMO I still prefer the old design of the S6 and S7 with the FPS on the front and also the flat screen on the S6 (easier screen protector install). Also prefer the 16MP sensor over the 12MP though the S8 camera is very good, esp. the front camera has improved much more. The S6 is a great phone, I liked it but also didn't like the fact that it didn't have a microSD expansion which they brought back.

If I were you I'd keep the S6 and wait for the S9 or Note 8.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

Wait, I'm confused, how did OP come to the conclusion that S8 Sucks? Because of 577 vs 570 Pixel density? OMG shoot me and get it over with.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

In my opinion it's the best device on the market today. It's the fastest with no lag device I have ever owned. And the camera is stunning you can't go wrong with the S8.

Ejjba

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site

Pixel density is pure hype.
You cannot possibly see the difference on these small screens
As said if it looks good to your eyes go for it.
Unless your old like me and can't seem sh...t anyway

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site

You do realise 7ppi is nothing and there's not a significant difference past 400 ppi..... crying over nothing imo if you don't like it don't buy it simple as that.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Display resolution isn't the only measurement of a good device. The S8 over the S6 has: Better camera, better display (accuracy and efficiency), better audio, better security, better software, a better FPS location and navigation buttons, better battery life, a better SoC, a better USB port, etc, etc. It's pretty close to literally everything about it being better.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
While included in "pretty close to literally everything", I should have called out storage too. The S8 has literally double the storage of the S6 too. So there's not a single thing other than a flat screen that I can think of that the S6 does better than the S8.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
So I did some research on the S8 because my 2-year contract is about over for my S6. Apparently, the S6's resolution is 2560x1440 at approximately 577 pixels/in. The S8's resolution is 2960x1440. Yes, there are a few hundred more pixels in height, but this is only 570 pixels/in. Someone please explain to me how this phone is actually worse than the phone that came over 2 years before it...

Welcome to AndroidCentral @OriolesRock100 Thanks for joining us :D

I haven't seen a simple answer to this question so I'm going to try explain and hopefully it all makes sense. As I'm sure you have seen, PPI stands for Pixels Per Inch. So this is the amount of Pixels that are displayed on the screen when you are only viewing a 1 inch square block. (Example Picture Below). So this means, the higher the PPI count. The more pixels, you have in that square block. This means images and text have the ability to be clearer.

You can have a higher resolution screen but still have a lower PPI count if the screen size is large enough to outweigh the increased amount of pixels. This is because the PPI is calculated based on the size of your screen. Its important to remember that PPI is NOT the only factor that contributes to the clarity and quality of a screen. We have have to look at LCD vs AMOLED and various other things.

In short, The Galaxy S8 screen is definitely better than the Galaxy S6 but just has a slightly lower PPI because of the screen size even though it has more pixels. You would honestly never notice the difference in PPI. Hope this helps and makes things a little easier to understand.
PPI Example.png
PPI Picture Example.jpg

Last edited:

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why you would pick one thing as insignificant as 7 PPI to harp on and ignore all of the other things that make the S8 and S8+ a better phone. Do you honestly think your eye is going to even notice 7 PPI? Lol. The best thing for you to do is to go into a store and hold the phones side by side and look at the screens. You will not be disappointed by the S8 screen.

I had the S6 and I thought it was a great phone but in addition to all of the reasons why the S8 is better that have been listed, the memory management on the S6 was abysmal. I could be in the middle of typing a post in Facebook and then open a browser to copy a link or whatever, go back into Facebook and it would have to reload and I'd lose everything I typed. Anyone who had an S6 probably knows what I'm talking about. It was really aggressive with memory management and it was addressed with the S7 Edge.

Gus_Gutz

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I understand that they put the extra pixels in a small package included in the box. Most people didn't realize what they were and just tossed them. If you tear the package open and sprinkle them on the phone the pixel density will increase.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad